Thread: Bird Seed

1. Top | #1
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts

Bird Seed

What kind of seed does one need to out into a feeder to attract song birds?

We have several feeders and get lots of birds. They're filled with black sunflower seeds. Is it true the mixed seed is better for the song birds or is this hype to get you to buy the more expensive seed?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I usually get the wild bird seed at TSC. You can get it in large bags, pretty cheaply. I think sunflower is mostly for Cardinals, and millet attracts Doves. Thistle brings in the finches. I also use suet cakes, (also from TSC, because they are less than $1 each, bought in 12 count boxes). Many birds enjoy those, including Woodpeckers.

I have also ordered suet cakes in bulk from Home page Nottawa Wild Bird Supply, and been pleased with the service and products.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    I find the mixed seed better. I also really like the ones that are "clean" with no hulls or corn. The such flower hulls can leave a big mess.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post

We have several feeders and get lots of birds. They're filled with black sunflower seeds. Is it true the mixed seed is better for the song birds or is this hype to get you to buy the more expensive seed?
    I have concocted a mix that works pretty well, and with minimal waste. I just mix it intuitively, but here's an approximation:

85 - 90% sunflower seed
    10-15% mixture of (a) Chicken scratch (a prepared mix of cracked corn, grain sorghum and I believe some millet), (b) quail grass and (c) finch food.

This mix attracts all varieties of birds, with the exception of maybe Bluebirds and other bug/worm eaters.
    Have wings, will travel.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    The kind that repels grey tree rats and cats.

Seriously though, different birds go after different seeds/feed. My mom must have five different types of seed she uses, and they all go into different feeders. Unfortunately, squirrels have no such preference.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    The kind that repels grey tree rats and cats.

Seriously though, different birds go after different seeds/feed. My mom must have five different types of seed she uses, and they all go into different feeders. Unfortunately, squirrels have no such preference.
    My bird feeder is set on a piece of gas pipe about 5 foot tall with a squirrel guard. No problem with squirrels, but that Rackety Coon Chile' is not deterred by a little squirrel shield.
    Have wings, will travel.

9. Top | #7
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    IMO,the sunflower seed is the best "all around seed". Yes,it's messy,but it's a part of feeding birds. The mix might get different birds,but we've yet to see it,and we've been feeding for about 20 years.

Even the woodpeckers will get used to seeds. I made a suet feeder that had the cages upside down,where we figured only the woodpeckers or the clingers would be able to hold on. Yeah,right! The Blue Jays and the Crows somehow manage to constantly clean them out. Hardly ever saw a pecker on them,so we stopped with the suet.

The non seed eating birds won't go to a feeder no matter what you put out. Then again,it might depend on your geographic area too. Some types of non seed eaters may show up. The only way we see the non seed eaters is when they come to the heated bird bath. Works out really well too.

We don't mind indirectly feeding the squirrel community, but the 'coons have cost us a lot in feeder replacement over the years. Just lost another a few days ago, and I'm fed up enough to where I'm just about ready to start shooting!
    Last edited by glc; 03-16-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    This time of year, my feeders get ambushed with unwanted black birds. I have to chase them off in order for the doves and small birds to get any seed.

Ace Hardware sometimes has a sale on mixed seed. Seems to attract a wide variety of birds.

Been seeing more squirrels than usual so I keep putting out lots of unshelled pecans for them. That has kept them away from the feeders for now.

On a pole feeder I installed a piece of hardware cloth at the top of pole to protect the birds from the cats.

The man who wins is the one who thinks he can.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

–Henry Ford

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Thanks
    We use mostly black oil sunflower seed (#1), most birds like it. I also have a platform feeder a little ways away from the sunflower feeder that gets mostly cracked corn (chop), helps keep the Bluejays & sparrows occupied & away from the main feeder. Suet blocks (not visible) for the woodpeckers & a big "fruit & nut" block (#2) nearby. We usually go through 200+ lbs of black oil & 100 lbs. of cracked corn/year. Three boxes (12 pk) of suet & 3-4 fruit & nut blocks this season. ~~ Lowell

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM3006 (800x597).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	354.8 KB 
ID:	26203
    Last edited by grnspot110; 03-16-2014 at 04:39 PM.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    I run 3 feeders on posts (black oil round screen feeder, mix on a platform and suet block cage) and 1rotating arm "squirrel spinner" corn cob feeder. (Fun watching newer ones try to figure it out!) Squirrels and coons are not able to bypass my home made guards, lengths of 6" stove pipe w/caps centered on the poles just under the feeder. One gear clamp on the pole under the bottom cap keeps it up under the feeder. Every once in a while a squirrel will run up the pole... and then slide back down cussing, they never learn!

Unless your coons can wrestle the pipe out of the ground (I've had some try!) the feeders are varmint proof. Bears are not covered by this warranty!

I've tried all local brands of "mixed seed" and they all contain a couple types of seeds that the birds leave alone. Little round "parakeet seeds" and some little flat ones. I usually do my own mix, cracked corn/black oil/peanut pieces small and large, etc. Squirrels get cob corn along with the ground birds "critter mix" - usually black sunflower/peanut/corn, etc. We love watching the squirrels and they cannot waste any of the feed in the feeders, I let the blue jays and black bird varietys do that...

Yesterday was our first redwing blackbird song, he was under the mixed seed platform feeder and on the sunflower. My favorite song of Spring!
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast