Irrigation insomnia..I hate spring freezes. Anybody else?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By farmgirl19
  • 1 Post By cheesetrain

Thread: Irrigation insomnia..I hate spring freezes. Anybody else?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks

Irrigation insomnia..I hate spring freezes. Anybody else?

Temps dipped into the low 30's, so I turned on the Irrigation, and drove laps spraying plain air from the Cannon for several hours, before the wind came back up.

Everything is in early bloom, Pink bud, and our earlier varietys are 30% open. At least on the shoots that weren't fried by winterkill anyway.

My neighbor to the south has his overhead going full tilt on the east side of his field, and the neighbor west of me has both of his Diesels going full tilt Irrigating 120A all at once.

The Irony is the fields were flooded just a couple week ago, and all of us finally got things dried out enough to get things done without getting stuck.

Screw it. I'm going to sleep and trust in the quirks of thermodynamics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003.jpg   28328d1400225555t-irrigation-insomnia-i-hate-spring-freezes-anybody-else-003.jpg  
    Last edited by Dingeryote; 05-16-2014 at 02:36 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I just hate cold!! Any temp low enough to make frost, is too doggone cold! I feel for you. I hate to replant most of my garden, this year, due to a late freeze. Let us know how things turn out there.
    Dingeryote likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-28-2017 @ 08:16 PM
    Thanks
    Completely agree, the weather has been very uncooperative this far. It almost seems like we're about a month to a month and a half off "normal" Michigan weather.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    I know the feeling. People don't understand why my wife and I wait until Memorial Day to plant our gardens. It was 34 degrees at 7am this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    etcallhome likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidnuts View Post
    Completely agree, the weather has been very uncooperative this far. It almost seems like we're about a month to a month and a half off "normal" Michigan weather.
    Sitting here with a fire going in the stove..in mid May. Yep! goofy.

We normally get a freeze or two in mid to late may, and snow isn't unheard of.
    The lake bieng the giant hot water bottle and Giant ice cube that moderates the temps is working just fine to taper us slowly out of winter.
    The key word is slowly. Based on Growing degree days(45 degree Base) we are at 344 when the 5 yr. avg. is 468. Last year we were at 383 at this time.
    Sooo about 8 days behind from a flora and fauna perspective. The Black flies have gotta be hating this. LOL!!

The big downside isn't so much the frost kill, as it is the wet and cool periods that promote fungal growth, and extends the period that sporulation occurs.
    Frost events make infections much more likely, and during bloom is when things are most succeptable any way. Only had two hours last night thankfully.

Now that the fields are nice and muddy again from frost protect irrigating and the rain, it's time to go spray everything all night long, and maybe get good and stuck. Probably should prep the spray rig and take a nap.

Rabid,

I don't know if you use the MSUE enviroweather resources or not, but it's a heck of handy set of tools for us Farmbillys. Once muddled through a little to get the hang of all the info and where it's at, it's just as handy for the green thumbers.Enviro-weather - Weather for IPM decisions in Michigan

Just hover the cursor over the dot nearest your location for pop up info, or click for expanded info, history, irrigation, wind, soil, and GDD data as well as crop specific pest and fungal info. It's good stuff!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    I just hate cold!! Any temp low enough to make frost, is too doggone cold! I feel for you. I hate to replant most of my garden, this year, due to a late freeze. Let us know how things turn out there.
    Probably little to no damage with the irrigation protecting the blooms. Only had a little ice formed at 0600 when it started to warm again.
    The wifes Tulips and Hostas seem to have fared OK.

Supposed to get back down to freezing again tonight though.

Deere makes a nice and comfy heated Cab thankfully.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks
    We had frost this am. Not really a big deal, its been way to wet to plant anything yet.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

Just got done putting a good coat of Fungicide and sticker on our home field. Darn rain and wind waited until 8:30 to quit.

Only got "sortastuck" a couple times, but did get into some slop that had me standing on the Difflock with mud up to the axles. I gotta mess to fix now.
    I also managed to loose the headlights in the process..weird.

Hopefully I can get the other field sprayed, and just go back to worrying about the bees for the next couple weeks.
    I am SICK of this freezing baloney.

I hope you guys didn't get burnt.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-28-2017 @ 08:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link to that info, I apologize I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but expting to do so tonight. Works been calling...

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements