• 1 Post By briansims
  • 1 Post By farmgirl19

Thread: California Chrome

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks

California Chrome

Here's to the "Dumb-Ass Partners" (Seriously, that's what they call their company that owns the horse when they got flak from some horse "expert" who said they were dumb *sses to think they can spend $8,000 bucks on a mare who won a few races and $2,500 for stud fees, and think they can go out an win horse races.)

The trainer is 77 years old, and the two owners are up there in years. Steve Coburn, one of the owners, was crying like a baby as Chrome won by two at the Preakness.

I'll be pulling for Chrome at the Belmont to be the first triple crown winner since Affirmed in 1978. Here's to three old guys who dream big and play hard (and can turn down $6 million for a 51 share in the Chrome).
    Last edited by briansims; 05-18-2014 at 11:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Yes, it was very cool to watch! Especially since it was only about 30 miles from where I live, and I've worked at Pimlico many times.
    The horse racing industry needs a huge shot in the arm to survive, and a triple crown winner would be just the thing. I hope they get this breathe rite nasal strip thing figured out soon!
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,946 Times in 2,909 Posts
    I say, GO California Chrome!
    I also see a movie in the making here.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,946 Times in 2,909 Posts
    Oh well! Too bad, I would have liked to see him win the Triple Crown.
    etcallhome and Ghostrider304 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Yes, I too would have liked to see it myself. His owners statements after the race was quite pointed, and I must say I agree with him.
    etcallhome and Exeter like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks
    I never gave this to much thought myself, but after hearing the owner talk after the race and the statements that he made are all true. I am on his side as well.
    Kennyd, etcallhome and Exeter like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Not being a horse racing fan (too much application of violent whippings down the stretch just for a lousy buck), why can't this guy just enter the horse again next year? Surely one year older ain't going to kill this horse?
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    In the racing world, Futurities are for 2 year olds, and Derbies are for 3 years old. The horse is not eligible to be entered in the Kentucky Derby, Preakness or Belmont Stakes next year, due to the fact it will no longer be a 3 year old.

The horse will win a few more races, then will be retired to the reproduction barn. That is where any money is made. If he actually producers winners, his fee will increase, but it takes 1 year after breeding to get the foal on the ground, then 2 years to get them ready and entered into a few races, if they show promise. If they are good enough, then they might get a chance at the big 3.

There is a reason it is known as the "Sport of Kings". While all of the hoopla about how cheap the mare was to buy, and how cheap the stud fee was to breed her, don't think the guys don't have hundreds of thousands in the horse, getting it raised, trained, shod, entry fees, etc. It ain't cheap, no matter how cheaply one got into it.

But a horse bred to run, LOVES to do so. Much as you see what appears to be whipping, it isn't bad. It is more of a reminder to give all you have, or for a horse in the lead, to not quit. One of the Triple Crown winners of days gone by, used to let up and wait for his opponents to catch up with him, just for the fun. If he was in front, and couldn't see the other horses, he'd slack off. Not a bad thing for him, unless he slacked at the wire! I'm sure it created concern for the jockey too!
    Last edited by farmgirl19; 06-09-2014 at 05:04 AM. Reason: more info
    DRobinson, 56FordGuy and briansims like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

HydroHarold (06-09-2014), Kennyd (06-09-2014), Zebrafive (06-09-2014)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks
    I too was disappointed that the Chrome didn't win. But I enjoyed seeing a few guys living a dream with all their raw emotions out there for all to see. Coburn goes off on a rant after the race and says things that many would have liked to say. Then a couple of days later feels bad about what he said and apologizes and admits he's ashamed of himself. These guys don't have publicity consultants. They're not used to the glare of the lime light. They weren't seeking the lime light. They just really wanted to win. I salute them for that.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

13. Top | #10
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Anyone else notice that while he was on his rant, his wife was there trying to get him to shut up, by placing her hand on his arm? He basically slapped it away. Bet she had a rant of her own when they got home that night.

Poor sportsmanship has no place. Other fresh horses were entered in races against the other Triple Crown winners. If it were something easily attained, it would happen more often. As it is, it is the true test of the horse, at that point in life.

And as far as tired, when some of the first triple Crown winners earned that honor, all 3 races were run in about one week's time! I would have to go back and research, but I think there was only a 2 week period of "rest" between the Preakness and Belmont, when the last Triple crown winners earned their titles. I can't remember when they made the time off between the Preakness and Belmont 3 weeks. I think the break was extended to try to aid the chances of a TC winner, as well as the fact that it is a good thing for the horses.

Horses with the "heart" of Secretariat, Affirmed or Citation do not come along but every few decades. There is no shame in the performance of the horse, California Chrome, but there is shame in how the owner responded to the loss. There is no blame to be placed.

My $0.02,
    fdmars likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements