The importance of team name change
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The importance of team name change

  1. Top | #1
    etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Location
    Preston County WV
    Posts
    13,368
    Thanks
    3,259
    Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,581 Posts

    The importance of team name change

    Now here's something to really think about! I think you're gonna' like this'un! -BH


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------




    Stephen Covey said, ďWhen you pick up one end of the stick, you pick up the other!Ē

    Subject: THE IMPORTANCE OF TEAM NAME CHANGE


    I agree with our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend and, in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

    SOOOOO,....let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

    The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone! It's offensive to us white folk.

    The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

    I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

    Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates! The Pittsburgh Steelers? That's still OK as long as the name isn't misspelled.

    Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

    The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.

    The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

    The Milwaukee Brewers---well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.

    So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing congress loves.

    With all of this in mind, it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers.
    mjncad, glc, cheesetrain and 11 others like this.
    Gene

    Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

    ddinham†(05-28-2014), mjncad†(05-30-2014)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  4. Top | #2
    HydroHarold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Location
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Posts
    3,554
    Thanks
    321
    Thanked 332 Times in 253 Posts
    The Oregon State "Beavers"....? No kiddin'?
    mjncad and Gizmo2 like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

    '04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

    "...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

    NRA Life Member

  5. Top | #3
    2LaneCruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,306
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 503 Times in 361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    The Oregon State "Beavers"....? No kiddin'?

    http://images.footballfanatics.com/F...5_xl.jpg&w=165
    HydroHarold likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4
    2LaneCruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,306
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 503 Times in 361 Posts
    mjncad, andy b. and HydroHarold like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

  8. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,786
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 167 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Now here's something to really think about! I think you're gonna' like this'un! -BH


    With all of this in mind, it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers.
    Great post.

    I want to see Oregon State vs North Carolina.

    Beavers vs Cocks.....classic
    mjncad, HydroHarold and farmgirl19 like this.
    -Scott-

    2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

    You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

  9. Top | #6
    cheesetrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:14 PM
    Location
    Beaver Dam, WI
    Posts
    1,901
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 172 Times in 147 Posts
    The local High School team where I'm at is the Golden Beavers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mjncad likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

  10. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,786
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 167 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesetrain View Post
    The local High School team where I'm at is the Golden Beavers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exit 69 on I-75 through Detroit is the Big Beaver exit....the highway even takes a strange jog which adds the extra mile to make it 69 instead of 68.......but I digress....
    -Scott-

    2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

    You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

  11. Top | #8
    felixm22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Location
    Concord, NH
    Posts
    3,964
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked 453 Times in 340 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sstlaure View Post
    Exit 69 on I-75 through Detroit is the Big Beaver exit....the highway even takes a strange jog which adds the extra mile to make it 69 instead of 68.......but I digress....
    You know when you are from MI when you know the 3 other names for Big Beaver.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

    Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

    Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

  12. Top | #9
    mjncad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Location
    Front Range of Colorado
    Posts
    6,942
    Thanks
    1,783
    Thanked 547 Times in 432 Posts
    Great post and I'm so sick of this non-issue over the Redskins name. Colorado's Demwit senators followed Harry Reid's condemnation of the Washington Redskins name; but when asked about local high school team names such as "Savages, Warriors, Indians, etc" their response was that it was a local issue.

    Don't forget the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team.

    Here is what I sent my two worthless senators concerning the Redskins name. I also sent a copy to the NFL and the Redskins too. By the way, I'm not a sports fan and football (fartball as I call it) bores me to death.

    -----------------------------------------

    50 Democrats urge the NFL to rename the Washington Redskins
    50 Democrats urge the NFL to rename the Washington Redskins - CBS News

    Donít you clowns have anything better to do?

    As far as Iím concerned I donít see anything wrong with the teamís name, and many Americans feel the same way.

    I shouldnít have to remind you; but it seems that the collective mini-minds making up the Senateís brain-trust needs a reminder. The Washington Redskins football team is a private business, and it is none of the governmentís concern over how they conduct their operations as long as nothing illegal is being done. If you donít like the teamís name; then buy the team as private citizens and run it as you see fit. Canít afford it? Then donít patronize the team in any shape, form or fashion as no one is making you watch their games and buy their merchandise. There are plenty of other football teams to choose from.

    Iím sure the Redskinsí owner would be glad to drop the ďWashingtonĒ in the teamís name; thereby depriving D.C. (District of Criminals) the free plug for the nationís capitol every time their name is mentioned or seen. Also, Iím sure there are plenty of other cities that would love to have a NFL team, and wouldnít be making a Politically Correct stink over a non-issue.

    And Congress wonders why Americans have such a low opinion of that branch of government, and every member within.
    I have more ideas than ambition.


  13. Top | #10
    Captain Hook Kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:27 PM
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    16,239
    Thanks
    4,991
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Great post and I'm so sick of this non-issue over the Redskins name. Colorado's Demwit senators followed Harry Reid's condemnation of the Washington Redskins name; but when asked about local high school team names such as "Savages, Warriors, Indians, etc" their response was that it was a local issue.

    Don't forget the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team.

    Here is what I sent my two worthless senators concerning the Redskins name. I also sent a copy to the NFL and the Redskins too. By the way, I'm not a sports fan and football (fartball as I call it) bores me to death.

    -----------------------------------------

    50 Democrats urge the NFL to rename the Washington Redskins
    50 Democrats urge the NFL to rename the Washington Redskins - CBS News

    Donít you clowns have anything better to do?

    As far as Iím concerned I donít see anything wrong with the teamís name, and many Americans feel the same way.

    I shouldnít have to remind you; but it seems that the collective mini-minds making up the Senateís brain-trust needs a reminder. The Washington Redskins football team is a private business, and it is none of the governmentís concern over how they conduct their operations as long as nothing illegal is being done. If you donít like the teamís name; then buy the team as private citizens and run it as you see fit. Canít afford it? Then donít patronize the team in any shape, form or fashion as no one is making you watch their games and buy their merchandise. There are plenty of other football teams to choose from.

    Iím sure the Redskinsí owner would be glad to drop the ďWashingtonĒ in the teamís name; thereby depriving D.C. (District of Criminals) the free plug for the nationís capitol every time their name is mentioned or seen. Also, Iím sure there are plenty of other cities that would love to have a NFL team, and wouldnít be making a Politically Correct stink over a non-issue.

    And Congress wonders why Americans have such a low opinion of that branch of government, and every member within.

    I couldn't agree more...this whole new class of people who are just looking to be offended over anything to make the news is getting old.

    Rush had a great solution to this whole thing, he suggested they keep the name and just change the logo and mascot to a potato
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 3 others like this.
    Kenny

    -John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM


    Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

    Visit our YouTube Channel

    My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

    mjncad†(05-31-2014)

  15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts