Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Comcast Buried Cable.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Thanks

Comcast Buried Cable.

<Rant>

Why can't they bury it more than an inch deep? I was clearing an overgrown area to the side of our driveway and I snagged it with the box blade and tore it. The last time they buried it, they moved it, which I didn't know. To be fair, I didn't call 811. Didn't think I needed to call just to scrape the weeds off of the surface...

My repair appointment is, get this, June 30th.

</Rant>

Thank you for letting me vent.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 04:36 PM
    Thanks
    Can you do a temporary repair?
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    That shallow and no protection over it. Are they idiots?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    My Comcast cable is buried only a couple of inches down as well, and I pretty much know where it is in my yard. When I need to dig in that area I will grab an old transistor radio turn it on and lay it on the ground until I hear the static increase. I am able to locate my buried Comcast cable that way. I can use the same method to locate my in ground e-fence that I buried for my dog as well.

Back to your situation. You may be able to strip the wire back and connect a jumper between the center core wire to get you back in business until Comcast finds the time to do the repair.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Thanks
    On the upside, they used RG11 for the run. I don't have any tools to deal with that, so I ran a piece of quad shield RG6 from the house to the street. I'm back in business. Both ends are covered and I ran it through the culvert under the driveway, so it should be good if it actually takes them 2 weeks to get out here.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:22 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 801 Posts
    If you want it any more than a couple inches down, you'll have to provide the trench.

They don't call 811 either......They only go down as far as needed to "hide" it. Getting any further down than under the grass would require some work. You really don't thing they are gonna work do you?

You're probably better off with your temp cable.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 AM
    Thanks
    Comcrap and Century Fink (Ma Bell) only bury them a 2 - 4 inches here too. I nailed both one time with my back-blade. At least I called 811 and had them marked so the utilities couldn't jump on my case for nailing the lines.

When the house next door was built last summer, the CATV and phone lines were in conduit at least 24" below grade. Maybe there has been a code upgrade here requiring that.

All low voltage wiring gets short changed when it comes to a proper installation.
    rtgt likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    Cable companies are notorious for shallow underground & low overhead cables! I've plowed them up when plowing gardens & taken them out when hauling farm tractors in the past. Municipal utilities once cut ours at the pole in our front yard when replacing underground electric cable. The cable company (Suddenlink) put in a "temporary" line, took them several months to get around to burying it! Same ones hung one across the road for the house next door, box truck took it out, tearing it off their house. ~~ Lowell

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:22 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 801 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Comcrap and Century Fink (Ma Bell) only bury them a 2 - 4 inches here too. I nailed both one time with my back-blade. At least I called 811 and had them marked so the utilities couldn't jump on my case for nailing the lines.

When the house next door was built last summer, the CATV and phone lines were in conduit at least 24" below grade. Maybe there has been a code upgrade here requiring that.

All low voltage wiring gets short changed when it comes to a proper installation.
    I don't see a necessity to call 811 if I am only working on the surface. At a minimum burried cables should be below the frost line.

I would say it is not the operators fault for an improperly installed cable.
    mjncad likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    I don't see a necessity to call 811 if I am only working on the surface. At a minimum burried cables should be below the frost line.

I would say it is not the operators fault for an improperly installed cable.
    We have underground utilities in my neighborhood. We never hooked up with cable, but we have to be very careful digging around within 6 feet of the house. The telephone line goes 3/4 the way around the house and is at a depth of 0" to 4". I've cut it once digging footers for our deck 15 years ago, and uncovered it recently removing a nearby tree. Our power lines are also "buried" but we haven't dug much where those are located. I can only imagine that they are less than 24" down at most.

Regarding putting them below the frost line, that's 48" where we live, and I can't see the cable/telephone company bring in equipment to trench that deep. We called 811 to "locate" our utilities, but they can't tell me "how deep" any of the wires are. We took a lot of pictures so we can estimate where they are at any time as the paint lines are long gone.

Now my question is "who owns" the wire in the ground. For our telephone, I am told Ma Bell owns up to the interface on the side of the house, anything after and inside is my responsibility. For my 110/220, who owns the part from the connection box at the edge of my property to my meter?

Just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast