Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Another "BIG CAT" sighting in E. NY

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks

Another "BIG CAT" sighting in E. NY

...and check out what the DEC has to say! I do believe they take all of us to be as dumb as they seem to act!

Mountain lion spotted in Cold Spring? Maybe
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:41 AM
    Thanks
    Mountain Lions (aka Cougars, Pumas, Catamounts) are relatively common in Colorado; though this semi-old (57 years old) fart native Coloradan has never seen one in person.

Our wildlife department regularly tells people hiking in the woods to make themselves look bigger than they actually are by extending their arms and making noise. Do not turn your back on the critter and do not run away. Personally if I were an outdoorsman and I regularly hiked in mountain lion country, I'd be packing heat regardless of what the law says. In the city, "When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away;" but in the boonies change 'seconds' to 'hours' or 'days.'

Recently a broad on the western slope of Colorado encountered a mountain lion that was stalking her, and she made it go away by singing opera. She got lucky.
    psrumors likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks
    MDC avoided admitting they were here until a woman hit one with her car in the Kansas City area a few years ago! Even though there were lots of sightings and game camera pictures of them previously. ~~ Lowell

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    We get sightings now and then here in MI as well. I fully believe that they roam around, but are smart enough to avoid detection for the most part.

Can they be dangerous? You bet, but I have to think you're more likely to get hit by lightning than attacked and killed by a mountain lion in the US.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post

Recently a broad on the western slope of Colorado encountered a mountain lion that was stalking her, and she made it go away by singing opera. She got lucky.
    I'll bet it was the horns on her helmet that scared the cat away!

One time riding as a passenger in the Gros Ventre area of Wyoming I happened to look up at ledge about 20' above the road on my side of the car... BIG pussycat just laying there face above his paws looking me right in the eye as we passed. One of my luckiest days as a shotgun rider!

One thing for certain, there's plenty of deer meat on the hoof and fresh dead along the roads around these parts. Wolves are next.
    mjncad likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sstlaure View Post
    We get sightings now and then here in MI as well. I fully believe that they roam around, but are smart enough to avoid detection for the most part.

Can they be dangerous? You bet, but I have to think you're more likely to get hit by lightning than attacked and killed by a mountain lion in the US.
    As a kid I swear I saw one in the late 80's or early 90's. We were at our 60 acres in Lewiston, MI. Our cabin is a little rustic and one night about 4/5am i needed to use the outhouse. As I stepped out side under a full moon I could see something in the brush line about 60' away. It was not built like a dog and it slinked like a house cat. Every one thought I was crazy the next morning but to this day I still think it was a cougar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milharri likes this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    As a kid I swear I saw one in the late 80's or early 90's. We were at our 60 acres in Lewiston, MI. Our cabin is a little rustic and one night about 4/5am i needed to use the outhouse. As I stepped out side under a full moon I could see something in the brush line about 60' away. It was not built like a dog and it slinked like a house cat. Every one thought I was crazy the next morning but to this day I still think it was a cougar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There have been several sightings right around our cabin up North (Beulah, MI) and quite a few caught on game cameras as well. They're out there, just not in great numbers. I've seen stories of where a cat is caught on the east coast that was tagged out west. They like to roam apparently.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    50 years ago we would hear what must have been big cats here in mid MD. Leave a window open at night and hear blood curdling screams, presumably mountain lions? Never saw nothing. Saw the coyote recently, I think that's new. On Sugarloaf mountain we got rattlers.

If ya start singing opera I'm going leave too.
    mjncad and farmgirl19 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Having lived some 35 years in NY, Orange County, lower Husdon Valley, near West Point & Cold Spring on the West shore of the Hudson, I can safely say that the biggest cat I ever saw was living in Cornwall, NY aty my Mother in Laws house. That cat weighed in at Twenty Four Pounds & lived to be Twenty Four Years Old. Try the Bear Mountain zoo in Bear Mountain, NY. I think they can tell you when the last true sighting of a wild cat in the area took place.

I think people mistake Coyote & Coydogs for big cats. On my five acre property I had red fox'es from time to time & at night you could hear the coyotes & coydogs howeling so loud now & then you would just pull the blankets over your head & hope they would not be in your back yard.

Gee, I always wonderede what happened to my neighbors dog, Fluffy.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    Back in 05' we had one witnessed several times locally.

DNR said "No evidence".

Later, a lady got pics of puddy dragging off her husbands deer kill that he hung in the back yard.

DNR said. "No evidence"

Couple of weeks later, a Horse got mauled in Watervliet. Vet that treated horse was from out west, and stated "Mountain lion". Wildlife Biologist confirmed.

DNR said. "No evidence".

Not three days later, a Horse and Donkey were attacked, track castings made. Wildlife Biologist, retired gent from out west, confirmed.

DNR said. "No evidence".

Couple weeks later, lady got pics of mountain Lion on the side of Blue star highway, next to the kids bus stop.

DNR said "No evidence".

Next spring, the local spray Pilot called to let me know there was a mountain lion on the old railway bed, south of my west field.

All of a sudden, the DNR makes a public statement about "No breeding populations of Mountain lions in Michigan", along with a reminder that Mountain lions are a federally protected species...

Couple of weeks later, lady south of here gets photos of Momma Mountain Lion with two cubs in her pasture.

Folks wised up.

There have been no publicised sightings of Mountain lions, or attacks since about 2008.
    Dead quiet really.

I might see a track or two here and there that makes me wonder, but I know better.;)
    HydroHarold likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast