Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Blueberry Traffic Jam!!!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks

Blueberry Traffic Jam!!!

Ya know how to tie up traffic and make Chitcago tourists pull thier hair out?

Easy. Just do what ya normally do around here!

Sat was a beehive of activity with the harvesting here. Hundreds of Blueberry fields getting harvested, and Harvesters as well as support trucks, and flat beds hauling fruit everywhere.

On the way to our North Patch, I ended up in a convoy of harvesters going north. It was Hillarious.
    Our back roads are crowned for rain and snow run off, and not real wide. Harvesters have a top speed of around 17mph downhill...

Looking north.

Looking south.

Looking through my harvester(Towed on a attached dolly..of sorts) you can see the grill of a 10 ton flatbed loaded down with fruit.
    Behind that truck was another harvester, and behind it, was 15 or so tourists with Illinois plates...and all of them in a rage.

Had a couple pass, or try to. Lots of brakes and tire smoke, bird flipping, and mailbox dodging. Tourists want quaint scenery in the country air, but apparently they want it fast. Thankfully, no FIP's harmed themselves, and no mailboxes were injured.

Harvesters take up an entire lane, and then some on each side of the road. They also tend to wag like a dogs tail when dollyed on rough roads, seeing as how they weigh twice as much as most 3/4 ton trucks. Pulling over on the shouder means mailboxes getting mangled, or risk a $1,500 floatation tire getting a sidewall puncture....and it takes a half day just to pull a tire for repairs if possible.

Folks have gotta learn to have some patience, or take the dadgum highway back to whatever concrete paradise they came from.;)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Augphonestills006.jpg   Augphonestills003.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Good stuff!! I'll bet those tourist don't mind eating the fruits of all of the work and travel!!

When I moved to where I live now, we had a lot of roads that were 1.5 lanes wide, and many one lane bridges in the country. Sort of part of the morning and evening ritual to see another coming, and find the spots one could pull over, and wait for one to pass, and take it as an opportunity to wave to a neighbor that lived 1/2 mile away. No rush, no worries.

City folks began migrating this way a few years ago, and their first complaint was having to "wait" to get across a bridge. They came out here to get away from the city, but wanted the city when they got here. So, the county tore out all of out one lane bridges and replaced them with 2 lane bridges. Only those of us that were here before wave as we meet another on the country roads. Everyone else is in such a hurry to get back into the city for their work, they don't understand what the "good stuff" really is.

I see that "disease" is in other locations too. Yep, go get back on the highway, if you need to rush!

Does this bring harvest to a close, or will you be making that trek once more?
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    In my area seed corn is big. Not harvest time yet, but when it is, lots of equipment, and semis on the road. The combines take up a lane and a half without the header. If it's too wet to take the semis into the field they park on the road and load on the road. I like country living!
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks

Blueberry Traffic Jam!!!

I can't remember the exact verbiage but a few years ago I saw a sign that warned of cows humping. It appeared that housing development went up next to a working farm and the new residents were complaining about the cows mating. Why do people move to the country and then complain about what happens in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 12:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingeryote View Post
    Thankfully, no FIP's harmed themselves, and no mailboxes were injured.
    You guys in Michigan are only slightly nicer than us in Wisconsin who refer to such people as FIB
    JD 1023E
    KK XB Tiller, XB subsoiler

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 1,066 Posts
    This is what country is all about but you know what I miss that you don't see anymore? Dirt roads!! Where did they go?
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    This is what country is all about but you know what I miss that you don't see anymore? Dirt roads!! Where did they go?
    Pennsylvania.
    farmgirl19, Levi and spferdil like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks
    Here in MO: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0548.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	31893 This is the county line through our farm!

The thing I hate is the people who refuse to take the heads off their combines when roading them. No excuse for it, just from the safety aspect alone!

And yes, I've driven & hauled wide equipment on the roads myself! Not as big as machinery is now, but big for it's era. Also spent many years in the safety business, (Fire Service) in a rural area. ~~ Lowell

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,616 Posts
    West Virginia Three I can see from back windows of house, one behind my house on other side of creek.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    West Virginia Three I can see from back windows of house, one behind my house on other side of creek.
    The roads in and around Morgantown may not be dirt but after this past winter the vast majority were gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast