Thread: This isn't good news :(

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks

This isn't good news :(

Never good to read this type of news...

Waterloo cuts push Deere layoffs to 1,000

Hopefully this is only temporary and not a sign of Deere's slipping foothold in the marketplace.
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Green Man For This Useful Post:

arlen (08-22-2014), etcallhome (08-22-2014), farmgirl19 (08-22-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-29-2015 @ 08:46 PM
    Thanks
    "Overall, Deere's third-quarter profit dropped 15 percent, although officials reported it remained the company's second-strongest third quarter on record."

These numbers just don't sneak up on a company. As an investor in their product, it makes me wonder where the issue is.

Cost of materials?
    Labor?
    Engineering?
    Warranty?
    Management?
    Overhead?
    etcallhome and arlen like this.
    155c w/42" snowblower, lawn sweeper, cart 'n stuff
    2032r w/H130 and 61" bucket, frontier forks, 46 backhoe, subsoiler, 3point receiver hitch
    Triton 16-7 trailer

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterkire View Post
    "Overall, Deere's third-quarter profit dropped 15 percent, although officials reported it remained the company's second-strongest third quarter on record."

These numbers just don't sneak up on a company. As an investor in their product, it makes me wonder where the issue is.

Cost of materials?
    Labor?
    Engineering?
    Warranty?
    Management?
    Overhead?
    You forgot one....
    Short sighted shareholders demanding short term gains instead of a long term growth strategy.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-29-2015 @ 08:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    You forgot one....
    Short sighted shareholders demanding short term gains instead of a long term growth strategy.
    I guess I would consider that management/overhead.

I did forget marketing...
    155c w/42" snowblower, lawn sweeper, cart 'n stuff
    2032r w/H130 and 61" bucket, frontier forks, 46 backhoe, subsoiler, 3point receiver hitch
    Triton 16-7 trailer

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterkire View Post

Cost of materials?
    Labor?
    Engineering?
    Warranty?
    Management?
    Overhead?

None of the above? The biggest factor on Deere's sales (and as a result, profits...) is crop prices. If wholesale prices for corn, soy, etc... drop, the people growing them make less $$ and buy less new equipment. On the other hand, prices for beef and poultry are up due to shortages caused by droughts in recent years. Producers reduced their herds and now we're paying for it but at the same time, smaller herds mean less equipment needed to manage them (and less feed needed to raise them too...).

Some of that should be able to be seen by the Corp. management people. But it can sneak up on them too...
    DRobinson, arlen and Carvel Loafer like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    03-22-2019 @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Whether the problem is predicted or not it still must be dealt with. It is just sad that so often it ends up costing jobs
    Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.
    1025R FILB; 50" FEL Bucket with 3 Ken's Bolt On Hooks, Bucket Mounted Receiver and 1 Shackle Mount; psrumors Seat Springs; 12" BH Bucket; Box Blade; 48" Rotary Cutter; 48" Tiller; Omi Manufacturing Transformer Hitch w/Weight Rack; Artillian Forks, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar, and More to come as I can beg it out of my wife!
    Also: Ford 9n, Massy Ferguson 231 & 231s, Zeter 7711 and a Mahindra 3525

10. Top | #7
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Deere is cocky, period.

They're riding the wave of little baby Deere sleepers and trucker hats and gunsafes and BBQ's and Aldean's "Big Green Tractor". It may be heresy to say it here, bit in light of the fact that this forum was initially called "DeereTalk" until the Illuminati of tractors forced the boys to change to GTT, maybe it's not.

Sales does sales, service blames sales, parts blames service, service blames parts, dealers blame regional, regional blames national, national blames head office, and at the end of the day the bag is held by the customer. They weasel out of warranty coverage anyway they can - "oh sure, we'll honor the warranty on your zero turn that wont start, but we'll charge you 150$ each way for pickup and drop off!!!!" Head office is strongly pushing out small single dealerships and 'encouraging' massive dealership groups that leave the customers with no option but to go with their prices on equipment, parts, and service. JD head office has forbid US dealers to sell to Canadians to 'protect' their Canadian dealers when our dollar is good - now that's "free trade" for ya!!!!

There are other brands out there, and they're catching up. How to you think orange trucker hats will look?

Having said all that, I just bought a brand new green one....I'm a sucker.

-J.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jer For This Useful Post:

Maddog (08-23-2014)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Read all the comments here- All very valid points. JD is a Global Company & all Companies are trapped in the very web that they weave. At the risk of all who Bleed Green to the death, who really knows what's behind the market slip? I certainly do not. But as a JD customer I can say for myself that their amazingly sky high prices on everyday commodities coupled with hourly shop rates that bring them more per hour than the average cardiac surgeon who accepts a patients insurance coverage, and tractors like those CUTS & SCUTS that leave the plant with KNOWN PROBLEMS but elect to pass it on to the dealer & customer to resolve rather than to correct the situation at the point of creation could certainly contribute to their financial demise. Old sayings- "The higher you climb, the harder you fall", and " Be kind to the people you meet on the way up....Because your going to meet the same people on the way down". And last but not least. "You can lead a horse to water...but a pencile must be lead".
    Don't know what the last "saying" has to do with anything, but I thought I would throw it in there for the heck of it.
    Jer, HydroHarold and spferdil like this.

13. Top | #9
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Maddog; Are you ever in a good mood???

Yes, I think each of us on here complains about things from time to time, but we do have a little fun too!!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

14. Top | #10
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Maddog; Are you ever in a good mood???

Yes, I think each of us on here complains about things from time to time, but we do have a little fun too!!
    I'm not either, don't feel bad Maddog.

-J.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast