Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Got a Will?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks

Got a Will?

Hey all

Had to post this. If you don't have a will please get one. And if you did it on your own, make sure someone else has a copy.

I have been dealing with a mess (My wife's mom passing) now for 3 days, literally tons of time on it. It's basically about the house her and her husband had. Now if he sells, he wants to because he does not need a home like that, rightfully my wife and her bro would get some. Her mom of course wanted her hubby to have it all. Will is lost. Her mom told us all that was in it - it was simple and made sense, I was actually the executor, but she never sent a copy of the will like I asked. WHAT A HUGE MESS FOR HIM....

Sad. We will of course ask for nothing because I knew what she wanted. But it has to go to probate, etc.

Just a sad rant here...
    Kevin

Diesel Fuel Lube Group Buy - Opti-Lube Diesel Fuel Additives

Bale Supply - Hay & Ranching Supplies

Green Tractor Talk - John Deere Online Community

JD Tech Talk - John Deere Blog

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Texkev For This Useful Post:

Bubber (08-27-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Thanks
    It's on the to-do list.

Sorry to hear you have a headache on your hands.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    I am sorry for your loss. I am going through this with my parents estate right now and I agree that a will is something we all need. I want to post some advice but I need more coffee first. Between crooked lawyers, honest lawyer, and entitled punks, I have much to say, if I can stand it all.
    Gizmo2 and Zebrafive like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    Went though a terrible time when my FIL died, and he had a Will. I tell ya something else, you cannot afford to die.
    The biggest thing for me was when we got the call from Social Security wanting my FIL's last check back. My FIL died on the 28th of the month but evidently you have to live the full month. We did get $100 from the VA.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    ^ is crap right there, they should at least prorate it... But I guess that would require our gov to do math though.
    Gizmo2, rgd, Zebrafive and 1 others like this.
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

9. Top | #6
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I think things vary from state to state in some respects. In Texas, if the spouse is also the parent of the kids, then if no will was there, a person can file an affidavit of heirship and if the siblings agree, all will stay with the surviving parent. If this is a second marriage for the party that died, and the offspring of the deceased are not the children of the surviving spouse, it creates a new can of worms, that only serves to make lawyers money. Even with a will, if offspring decide to contest it, it can get ugly quickly. Death brings out the worst in some people.

I've had a will since buying a home, and it leaves everything to my mom. With her health, I am sure that I will have to have a new will drawn up soon. So that will bring into play another issue. No idea who I will leave the place to. It seems those that leave things for the care and benefit of the surviving critters get thrown out and the Gov't takes it.

But yes, a well drawn up will, and an original in a fireproof box in the house, and a copy in a safety deposit box is essential. Putting the original in a safety deposit box can be risky. Might have to go through probate to get to the items in the safety deposit box. Dealing with these things can be an education on their own.

Thanks for reminding everyone of something so important! And for those of you that have put it off, GET IT DONE!!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    I would have to agree. We went thru a mess of crap after my uncle passed. My dad was supposed to have been the executor, with his life insurance policy going to his 3 kids and the rest of his belongings going to the nieces and nephews. Well, through some clever scheming, his no good for nothing girlfriend weaseled her way into getting everything... Sad situation. As was said, definitely make sure someone else has a copy, preferably the person you what to be the executor.
    --DeereNC

2025R, 62D MMM, H130 FEL, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks, Bxpanded Tooth Bar, more to come...
    Implements: Woods TS52 tiller

Stihl MS261C worked over by Mastermind Work Saws, FS45C
    Dolmar PS3410TH
    Redmax EBZ8500RH

11. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    It's all a big learning curve and unfortunately most get to learn after it's too late.
    mjncad and Zebrafive like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #9
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberShanks View Post
    ^ is crap right there, they should at least prorate it... But I guess that would require our gov to do math though.
    My dad died on the 28 of February. Since he died before the entire month was completed, they took his check back too. I knew it would happen. When I went to the bank to see what was needed to be done, since I was already on the account, the bank teller informed me that SS would take back the last check, so to make sure none of dad's outstanding checks were going to need those funds to be covered.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    My parents have wills, but we are in the process of helping mom move everything into her name and not my parents jointly. It is really a sad game that you have to play to get ready for someone to pass away.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast