Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: Resume writing

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks

Resume writing

Well, after 18 years with the company I am being told I will not have a job in the near future....bummer

I have a resume written and have had several friends and family members look at it, even some who are in HR. They all agree it is a strong resume but would like to get more opinions.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of a good resume writer?
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    A tough one for sure psrumors, sorry to hear of your misfortune.
    After 35 years with a company I had to come up with a resume, ask 10 people you'll probably get 10 different answers as to what is good and what is not good.
    I do know short a short read is better than a long read.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear, I have went thru that three times. I drew unemployment for a short time while I looked for a better job> Keep your mind and options open. Good Luck
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I would say to tailor it to the job you are applying for and leave out what doesn't pertain.

Personally I like bullet statements and not narrative style. Short and concise has always been my recommendation. For example, one was submitted in a recent hiring package and it was 20 pages long and all in narrative format. Do you want to know how many people on the hiring panel read that resume?

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:18 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure how much I can help but thought I would toss this out there as well.

There is a common wisdom where you don't want too big of a resume because people won't read it. However, there are times where a longer resume is better and it is hard to know which way to go. For instance, where I work, HR department is doing initial screening of applicants. Only the top 10 maybe 20 resumes actually make it to the hiring manager. This might be fine for some career fields but it is hard for others. I work in IT and when the job is posted they might tell HR that we are looking for someone that has experience with the following applications and give a huge list. Some of which really don't have much real use in the day to day job. Some of which might be outdated because the job description hasn't been updated. Well, they don't know anything about what these applications or things are because they don't work in our field so they just go through the resume looking for word matches. If there is a hit on the word then you get a point. The applications that had resumes with the most hits are the ones forwarded on to the hiring manager. The first few times I applied I never got a call to come in for an interview. I spoke to someone I knew that worked here and they told me to scrap the short resume. Send them a book of every application, system, language that I have had any experience with. The next time there was an opening, I got called for an interview and landed the job.

So I would say stick to 1 page for someone new to work. Anyone that has been in the workforce for a while, don't be afraid to expand into a couple pages but try and keep it relevant. Of course this will depend on the career field. I have now been on the other side of those interview panels and I would say don't forget to include things outside of work. Volunteering to assist in a youth sports programs or scouting maybe. Even if something doesn't appear to have any relation to the job you are applying for, it might make you stand out from the other candidates as maybe someone on the other side of the table does the same thing. Now you have something in common to make you stand out a bit more.

I don't know if this helps at all but I often hear the stick to one page rule. That is fine for a cover letter but don't be afraid to expand if it makes sense. Also on the cover letter, the one thing that we will rule out the quickest is if it isn't personalized for the position. If it has too much of a feel like a form letter where you are just doing a "I really want to work at [insert company name here]" makes it seem like you really are not trying. Maybe the person is fine being on unemployment and just needs to send out X number of resumes a month to show they are looking for work.
    Tomfive, OxPath, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    Short is good. Should not be more than one page. It automatically goes into the file 13 if an HR people see is more than one page.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post

I do know short a short read is better than a long read.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcabe5 View Post
    I would say to tailor it to the job you are applying for and leave out what doesn't pertain.

Personally I like bullet statements and not narrative style. Short and concise has always been my recommendation. For example, one was submitted in a recent hiring package and it was 20 pages long and all in narrative format. Do you want to know how many people on the hiring panel read that resume?
    I agree with this, short and to the point, no HR person is going want to read a novel. And yes, tailor it towards the position you are applying for, even if that means making minor changes to your resume for different companies.

And best of luck to you.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcabe5 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    I agree with this, short and to the point, no HR person is going want to read a novel. And yes, tailor it towards the position you are applying for, even if that means making minor changes to your resume for different companies.

And best of luck to you.

Add me to the list of shorter is better. Within the last 2 years I changed jobs after 20 years with the same employer. I had applied different places and had several different versions of my resume saved as I tweaked it for the prospective position. I too, like bullets over narrative.

Also, my wife is a teacher and she took my resume into the guidance counselor and had her look at it. She made a couple minor suggestions, not sure if you have easy access to a guidance counselor though, but it's a thought.

Best wishes to you!!
    pcabe5, Tomfive, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the input. I am vacillating between 1 page or 2 as I have some great experience over the last 28 years that leads it into two pages, maybe I will re-think it though.

What I am struggling with most is everything I read says to put the resume at an 8th grade reading level. My current position is upper level management, low level executive. I have a hard time believing an HR department would want me to write at an 8th grade level when applying for a 6 figure income....of course those above me in my current position often write at a 5th grade level
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I am vacillating between 1 page or 2 as I have some great experience over the last 28 years that leads it into two pages, maybe I will re-think it though.

What I am struggling with most is everything I read says to put the resume at an 8th grade reading level. My current position is upper level management, low level executive. I have a hard time believing an HR department would want me to write at an 8th grade level when applying for a 6 figure income....of course those above me in my current position often write at a 5th grade level

Based on what you just said, I would recommend you get with an executive search company.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast