Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Need advice

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks

Need advice

Kind of a long story but here it goes. My wife rescues dogs and finds them new homes. Most get adopted but we have a few foster failures we kept. Anyway, we had 4 dogs that stayed together in a huge fenced in area 1 English mastiff 1 blue pit mix (female) 1 Australian Shepard/bull terrier mix 1 dogo argentino. They all got along good but every now and then when we would play with them the female would attack the mastiff and then all three ganged up on him. We went through this several times over the last 4 years but each time we thought it was done and they got it out of their system and would be fine for several months. Then about a year ago they attacked the mastiff when nobody was around so we separated the mastiff from them and all has been fine until Monday. Monday the dogo and Orr mix attacked and killed the Australian Shepherd. The female had most of the wounds on her but not sure what happened. Nobody was around. My wife went to play with them and found him dead. Our dilemma now is whether to put the other 2 dogs down as well. Part of me says put them down since they have killed and not take a chance but they have never shown aggression with people. The female had some aggressions toward other dogs years ago but loves people. I have spent a lot of time with the dogo (I adopted) and is a very smart dog and loves attention but not sure what to do now since this happened. My thoughts are we had stray dogs come by their fence again and got them stirred up which somehow led to the female attacking the shepherd and then the dogo jumped in to protect her but canít be sure of that. Just going on past history of their actions. Any insight on what could have triggered it and would you trust them or put them down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    What a tough situation. I feel once they have killed they will again. I know its tough but I would try to keep them in separate pens.
    good Luck
    PJR832 likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:05 AM
    Thanks
    This is a tough topic. I love dogs but have found that when one 'turns' it will happen again and next time it may be against you or your wife. I suggest being safe and putting them down.
    3025E
    rc2060
    frontier box blade
    titan pallet forks and landscape rake
    ken's Grab Hook/Clevis Combo
    heavy hitch receiver hitch, ripper/subsoiler, toothbar, suitcase weights

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 6 year old pitbull and this is my opinion if this were my household, so take it with a grain of salt. I would put the animals down before they hurt me, another person or animal. It would break my heart, I would cry and would be upset that it had to happen but I wouldn't question the decision for a minute.

If my dog killed another he would be euthanized immediately, circumstances wouldn't matter. Considering that you believe it possible this was the result of dogs being protective of one another, I'd hate to see them become protective of you or your wife and attack a person giving you a hug, or high five or while your trying to play with your child.

Again, just my two cents and I wouldn't disagree with you if you decided to try to make it work.
    PaDave, pappa, Levi and 3 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    I would also put them down after they killed. If I knew for sure, one was the leader, and the other not involved. I might only put the leader down and see how the other behaves. Sorry you have to deal with this.
    Drifterbike, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    It's really hard to tell what can trigger a dogs aggression, my cousin trains German shorthair pointers and actually has three of his own for bird hunting. The most gentle dogs anyone could ever meet, but he has a scar and a 11 stitch memory of a day he came home from work and they were all going at each other's throats over a hand towel from his kitchen. He got bit twice in the hand trying to break them up. So you just really never know, as far as putting the other two down, that's a tough call and I don't have any sound advice to give you there. Seeing enough aggression to kill the other dog would definitely alarm me and make me strongly consider that as the only safe alternative. Not much help I know, but you are in a tough position and I wish you the best on whatever you decide.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Thanks
    Put em down. Had 5 big dogs and when I left them alone when I went to work they ganged up on my old lab and almost killed him several times. They left when the dirtbag that brought them here left. I should have shot them before she left!
    pcabe5, Drifterbike and PJR832 like this.
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-03-2019 @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Just wondering... Are you 100% sure it was the dogs and not, say, coyotes? It's close to being their peak time of going out and killing things. Been a lot of stories lately of them attacking dogs lately.
    Drifterbike likes this.

2017 1025R-TLB
    49" H120 FEL
    60D MMM
    John Deere ballast box
    BXPanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    Harbor Freight quick hitch (it only cost $80!)
    Everything Attachments 54" XTreme Duty Compact Box Blade
    Titan Attachments 42" pallet forks

Then there's my little ol 2008 x304

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Thanks

dogs

You better think about one of those dogs going to a new home with children ! If these dogs behave as described , no good ... Your description of what happened is not real good . Was it the pit that started it and then we had a gang bang ? I myself would terminate all of them ?
    pappa likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jkohnz View Post
    Just wondering... Are you 100% sure it was the dogs and not, say, coyotes? It's close to being their peak time of going out and killing things. Been a lot of stories lately of them attacking dogs lately.
    Canít be 100% sure but there are 2 black stray dogs that come by often and my dogs would bark at them when they get close to the fence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast