• 2 Post By HydroHarold
  • 1 Post By Tomfive

Thread: Unintended Consequences

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks

Unintended Consequences

I may have mentioned this before, but the varmints at large and I have a mutual understanding. You stay out of my yard, house, garage and shop and otherwise do no harm thereto and no harm will befall you from me. This works pretty well, but sometimes there are varmints like moles, voles, mice and gophers that cause problems and they often come out the losers; not to mention scorpions, wasps, black widows and brown recluse spiders that suffer the consequences.

The other day I noticed that some varmint had chewed through the lid of my 5 gallon bucket of bird seed mix and had partaken of its contents, leaving a plethora of evidence all over the floor of my garage. Poison is distasteful to me, ever since I saw my neighbor's Cocker Spaniel dying from eating poisoned gopher peanuts. Sooooo, I went to Lowe's and bought some of those "sticky" rodent traps...four to be exact; you just remove the cover and place them in their "runs"; which I did.

A couple of days later, not unlike Daniel Boone, I checked my traps. There was the culprit, captured and mercifully expired. I promptly placed him in the garbage. Sadly, in one of my other traps, was a menagerie of victims, including ants, crickets, other insecta of unknown origin and one lone lizard. He was pitiful; I though he had expired, but lo and behold, he was still alive. I carefully extracted him, although the "sticky" stuff held him very tightly, so tightly in fact that he lost his tail in the process. I took him to the water faucet, washed him down and released him at the base of Sharn Jean's Hyacinth Bean plant (a whole 'nother story). That was a week or so ago; I saw him this morning and it looked as if his tail had nearly regenerated completely. Although he did not appear particularly grateful, he seemed to be alive and vigorous. One of life's little vignettes, I thought I would share, thanks to Coors Brewing Company.

Dennis
    Last edited by 2LaneCruzer; 09-05-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    Have wings, will travel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Light, or Original Banquet?

-J.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Daniel Boone!
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Light, or Original Banquet?

-J.
    Actually, Keystone Lite.
    Have wings, will travel.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Nice story, but I have to say that I don't like those sticky traps. I don't like little varmints either, but those sticky traps are far from merciful. I go for the old cheapo snap traps. Quick and actually merciful (IMHO). And they usually don't affect those real little creatures like lizards ... but then we don't have a lot of lizards roaming the northeast .

Just my 2 cents.
    farmgirl19 and felixm22 like this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post
    ... but then we don't have a lot of lizards roaming the northeast .

Just my 2 cents.
    I'll see your 2 cents... and raise you a nickle! Having actually seen several NYS lizards on a metal detecting trip, I thought I'd drop this link on ya: Northern Fence Lizard Distribution Map - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation The yellow area along the Hudson River straddles Westchester and Putnam County and just south of the Bear Mountain Bridge at a RR tunnel through a rock outcropping known as "the crow's foot". My hunting partner and I were working about 100' above the top of the tunnel and there were more than a dozen lizards running around. Startled me as I only thought "lizards" resided "Out West". I believe starters of this colony of lizards were transplanted to Putnam many years ago from Long Island by the old owners of this piece of property (the only private holding inside the Camp Smith government reserve). Just a guess though...
    Tomfive and farmgirl19 like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HydroHarold For This Useful Post:

Tomfive (09-06-2014)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Harold, Thanks for the link. I can't remember when I've seen a lizard in our part of NYS, but I also can't say that I've never seen one either. At our house and neighborhood, small frogs, toads, an occasional turtle, but never a lizard. In many areas of Florida, where my BIL and stepson lives, they are everywhere.

Now that I know where they are, maybe I should go on a lizard hunting trip
    HydroHarold likes this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post
    Nice story, but I have to say that I don't like those sticky traps. I don't like little varmints either, but those sticky traps are far from merciful. I go for the old cheapo snap traps. Quick and actually merciful (IMHO). And they usually don't affect those real little creatures like lizards ... but then we don't have a lot of lizards roaming the northeast .

Just my 2 cents.
    I was able to identify the protagonist in this story; he is a Blue Tailed Racerunner. They are pretty fast, that's for sure, that is when they are not ensconced in a sticky rodent trap. They are pretty common here; they like to hang out in the flower beds and in and around the garage. I have caught a few for the kids in the past, but ordinarily I just let them go about their business undisturbed. Besides, it's a bit disconcerting to grab one and have it release it's tail...which by the way, continues to wriggle and thrash about while it's owner scurries off to a place of safety.
    Have wings, will travel.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements