Trying some New Dog Food
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Trying some New Dog Food

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:30 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts

Trying some New Dog Food

The recent post about the processed dog food having the euthanizing chemicals contained in the "animal renderings" is every canine / companion animal parents worst nightmare. We have always been very careful about the treats and food which our canine kids consume.

Our dogs have been fed a diet of boiled chicken and rice. We buy boneless chicken breast and my wife cuts them all up and then boils the chicken for about 8 minutes. We use Minute Rice and she mixes the two together.

This diet is bland but it also requires that we give them other vitamins and supplements. We have tried to mix in chopped carrots and green beans into their meals to help round out the nutrition.

Their weights have held steady, they love the food and rarely do we have an issue with someone not eating. But the process we are using requires at least one hour each night for my wife to cut up all of the chicken into the little cubes that she insists on serving. So, I suggested we find another food we can either use for part of each meal or have the other food be a meal all of it's own.

Clearly, we want to stay away from "Processed" foods and lot's of preservatives. Also, we want to avoid the "fillers" which are how the euthanizing chemicals ended up in the Gravy Train and other foods. Apparently, ground up animal carcasses qualify under the FDA rules as a "filler". The thought of animals from shelters and others who may have been euthanized being ground into eligible food "filler" is disgusting and something that should never occur. I guess most of us don't want to know what goes on in the "Rendering Process" when animal remains are dealt with. But I know I do not want my canine kids or any of my animals to consume such "food sources".

The old saying that once you have seen how sausage is made, you likely would never eat it again is clearly true. I would prefer to completely avoid "fillers" and other such "ground up animal remains" as a food item for my dogs.

I did check the FDA website and spent several hours reading what such things qualify as "Animal Food Fillers". I did not like what I found.
    I will say that we do allow them to chew on Pigs Ears and also the animal tendons from cattle which are dried and turned into chew items. That I don't have a problem with. But the thought that their dog food possibly contains ground up companion animals such as dogs and cats from shelters is NOT something I will support or allow my dogs to consume.

So, here is the first food we are trying.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180216_105811117.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	550337 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180216_105823696.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	550345
    Robnik likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Here is the contents of this food as listed on the label.

Name:	IMG_20180216_105841473.jpg 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	550353
    Robnik likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    This is a dehydrated food which is very concentrated in weight when shipped in the packages. It happens to be made in Michigan. I chose this one to try as it is made by a small, family owned company and they are trying to do the right thing with pet food, as far as I can tell.

The reviews are very good on a variety of sources. Of course, you would expect their website to have glowing reviews. But the other sites, such as on Amazon, Jet.com and other sellers seemed to have a pretty consistent message.

The only negatives I read were some people complained about the smell of the food.

Name:	IMG_20180216_105904682_TOP.jpg 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	550369
    Robnik likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here is what the food looks like right out of the package dumped into the mixing bowl.

Name:	IMG_20180216_110249303.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	550377
    Robnik likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I started out by making the small batch of this food to try it. Once I added the measured water to the food, it initially looked very soupy.

Name:	IMG_20180216_110337286_TOP.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	550385
    Robnik likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The instructions talk about allowing the food to re-hydrate and properly prepare for it's consumption by the canine kids.

The longer the food sat during the 10 minutes, the more "food like" it began to appear.

Here it is, in the serving bowl, with just one half cup of their normal food of chicken and rice stirred into the new food mix. You can increase or decrease the water amount to change the consistency of the food. Here, I just followed the label instructions.

Name:	IMG_20180216_111833817.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	550393

The chunks of chicken meat are from their normal meal which my wife has made up for them. We are trying a process where we blend the two together and use much less of the chicken and rice in each meal.

Prior to using this new food when we were serving exclusively the chicken, rice and carrots and green beans, Right now, for 3 large dogs, my wife would cut up 4 lbs of boneless chicken breasts and mix in the Minute Rice servings for 4 on their Minute Rice box. This has been enough to feed them all two equal meals, one in the morning and one in the evening. She added one cup of chopped up carrots and one cup of chopped up green beans.

The amount of carrots and green beans varies, but generally it's about one cup of each diced and then boiled. The boiling of the carrots and beans reduces it's volume. Then my wife mixes the boiled meat, the rice, the carrots and the green beans into the big pot in which she boils the chicken and then mixes it all together.

One half of the total was served to the 3 in the AM and the other half is served in the PM. She keeps the unused half of the prepared meal in Tupperware for serving the next morning.

I have to be honest, the boiled chicken and rice does NOT smell appetizing in the morning when you open the Tupperware container. In fact, it smells much worse than this dog food does. I don't know what makes it smell unappealing, but it smells .........well, let's just say it's not an appealing scent.
    Robnik likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The 2 pound bag of this dehydrated food makes about 16 pounds of dog food

where the 10 pound bag will make about 80 pounds of dog food.

Since we are just trying this, I started with the smallest bag of two flavors.

I checked the website of the manufacturer directly, which can be found here.
    https://healthydogma.com/petmix-orig...made-dog-food/

I also checked Amazon, Jet.com and a few other sources. I ended up ordering on Jet.com as the shipping was free because the order was over $35 and they happened to have both bags on sale when I bought them. In fact, the normal price for the 2 pound bag is $17.95 for the Original and $24.95 for the Nut and Cherry flavor.

I happened to get both from Jet.com for the $17.95 price and free shipping. So I barely was able to get the free shipping due to the sale prices, but it did qualify as it exceeded their $35 order requirement.

I ordered the food on late Wednesday and it was here on Friday morning.

Based upon the price of the dog food, I don't expect this to be any less expensive than the current amount we are spending on their food. My main concern is a well balanced meal which they will eat and isn't a big project every night for my wife........

So, how did our kids react?

At first, they weren't happy........But they ate it. And now that it's part of the "normal diet", they continue to eat it. But let's face it, when they were used to boiled chicken breast and rice they were pretty much getting the gourmet of meals. In fact, one night this past week, my wife served them cooked ground beef for half their dinner and the chicken and rice for the other half and each of them ate all of the chicken and rice and walked away from the ground beef. They did eat it later.........

We are hoping this will make the meals more well balanced nutritionally and also a little less time consuming for my wife. There are ways she could make the preparation of their meals much easier, but she refuses to. For example, I cooked the carrots and beans together in the same pot and she uses two, which means more to wash. She does it her way and anyone who is married and has been for a long time knows that sometimes it's just best to not say what we are thinking........

Here is Chloe, Yesterday morning.......She looks happy.......

Name:	IMG_20180216_120704638.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	550401
    PaDave, Robnik and bmichael like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (02-20-2018), PaDave (02-19-2018)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 10:03 AM
    Thanks
    Your wife is any dog,s best friend . She is a saint . Kevin .
    SulleyBear, Oscar Leroy and Robnik like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin37b View Post
    Your wife is any dog,s best friend . She is a saint . Kevin .
    There is a list of people who if they experience reincarnation and have a choice,. they want to come back as a dog and be adopted into our house.........

1025R with Mauser Cab

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 2,264 Posts
    I like the idea of this - dehydrated so you aren’t paying for water. Cost is quite reasonable also.

But with Jake - he eats only when he wants to. He gets half his daily dose at lunch time and it usually sits there. At supper time he gets the second half - usually added to the lunch time dose. Then it will still sit there - he may take a few bites between 5pm and 7pm. Then half the time he finishes it by bed time - the other half the time he doesn’t touch it. Then it gets put away so the mice don’t have a feast overnight.

So this food wouldn’t work for us as it would spoil before he ate it or have to be thrown out at bedtime.
    SulleyBear and Robnik like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast