Thread: Flea and Tick Season 2018

1. Top | #1
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,952 Posts

Flea and Tick Season 2018

Just got back from the vet and one of our Schnauzers tested positive for Lyme Disease again. This will be the third time in 7 years she has tested positive.
    We have been using Advantix II.
    Thinking of switching to Nexgard or the Seresto collar. Anyone us either of the two?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Just got back from the vet and one of our Schnauzers tested positive for Lyme Disease again. This will be the third time in 7 years she has tested positive.
    Thinking of switching to Nexgard or the Seresto collar. Anyone us either of the two?
    Keep a close eye on those collars, some pets develop a rash around their necks and are allergic to them.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 5 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Spray your area with termidor. I had an issue with fleas and ticks till I started doing this and no longer have the issue. I do this twice a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 6 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    When say tested positive, is he saying for actual Lyme's or the marker? They are different. Three different vet's have told me that same thing over the years. Emma is the one that does that because she was exposed before the vaccine came out.

I use Nexgard. So far I'm happy with the protection. In the spring I also use a collar, Preventic, and run that through July using both. After that it's just Nexgard.

Do you immunize the pups for Lyme's?

I also spray in the spring, not quite the full 8 acres but getting close.
    Last edited by pcabe5; 02-19-2018 at 02:55 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I used the Seresto collar on my last dog. Seemed to work well for us. Prior to that, I used Frontline. While on Frontline Jake cam down with Lyme Disease. so I switched to the Seresto collar. I'll likely put a Seresto collar on my new pup this spring .

My dad had/has Lyme disease. He is fine now, but he was told he will always test positive for Lyme disease. This may apply to dogs too. My dog was never tested for Lymes after he got better .
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 5 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 978 Posts
    We are on our second Soresto collar for Katie. So far so good. We used Advantix(?) years ago on our dog we had when we first got married. I remember giving her the treatment and her laying down by the wall afterwards. When she got up, the oily liquid residue on her fur took the color right out of the wallpaper she was laying against. She had two big green spots on her back. We decided that canít be good, been using collars ever since with no problem.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, grnspot110 and 4 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,272 Posts
    When I took Jake in for his initial visit and shots they automatically gave him a Lyme vaccine. The vet said since our area is a hot spot for Lyme it is standard procedure. I image he will get another one at his annual visit. They didnít say anything about using anything special as long as I was using some kind of preventative.

We use a generic topical flea and tick treatment and rarely see a tick on any of the dogs over the years. And they are in the woods every day. $1.75 per month and it works great -

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hartz-Ult...xKEApI90YVVmG0

I will get a couple a year myself - Mrs. C will have at least 4 each time she just walks to the compost bin.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

BigJim55†(02-27-2018), Bulitt†(02-19-2018)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    When I took Jake in for his initial visit and shots they automatically gave him a Lyme vaccine. The vet said since our area is a hot spot for Lyme it is standard procedure. I image he will get another one at his annual visit. They didnít say anything about using anything special as long as I was using some kind of preventative.

We use a generic topical flea and tick treatment and rarely see a tick on any of the dogs over the years. And they are in the woods every day. $1.75 per month and it works great -

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hartz-Ult...xKEApI90YVVmG0

I will get a couple a year myself - Mrs. C will have at least 4 each time she just walks to the compost bin.
    I need to try this Hartz product. Frontline will put you in the poorhouse...
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 3 others like this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    Having has many has ten dogs at a time we always used frontline plus and heartguard the first of every month. Now that frontline plus is out in genetic we use it. When the local SAMs club closed they announced 25% off my wife went and bought ALL they ad. Now we currently have five dogs and we vaccinated them for Lymes and they get a booster every year. We live on the edge of town with woods and a lot of dear but never have had a tick.
    Last edited by Drifterbike; 02-19-2018 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 4 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 1,103 Posts
    gizmo2-we switched from frontline several yrs ago to this nexguard. just last week in the evening after we came home form my aunt's house-brenda found a lousy tick crawling on(well below his eye) last summer if he took off into the neighbor's woods, when he would come back-that evening bren would look him over, and pretty much every time she found one or two. she seems to have such a knack at finding them things.

so far none has stuck to him. he had a shot the first yr we had him, and then each yr he has gotten a booster shot. same as what coaltrain talks about. his is coming up here soon-June i believe.

tell me what this termidor spray is? please! i looked it up-and found it on Amazon-but it said it's for termites, ants. etc. what kind u use for ticks?
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 2 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast