Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Telephone museum

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,510 Times in 1,616 Posts

Telephone museum

Yesterday , took the grandsons to a Telephone museum in a nearby town. Like a goof, I never gave it a thought to take my camera. The museum was set up by several of my coworkers . They had a couple of wooden phone booths, several operator swithboards , a section of a square telephone pole, and a fiberglass telephone pole. A working stepper switch from a central office (building where your dial tone came from having a land line) . Its not shown in this photo but grandson is using one of the rotary phones dialing a number and you could hear the clicking noise (stepping) of the dialed number.
    I'm hoping the coworker who sent me this photo will send me some more if so I will post them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cohen,Garrett and me at Monroe St museum.jpg  
    Gizmo2, arlen, farmgirl19 and 1 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I'm so rural, that when I moved here, there were still party lines!!! Only been in the last 10-15 years that tone dialing was available for the land lines. But of course, the company wanted a fee to switch you over to the tone. I just left it at rotary dial. Only use it for the occasional Fax, and think it funny that when telemarketers and political phone calls come in around election time, they get the Fax squelch in their ear.

Maybe my home would make a museum tour for today's kids??
    mjncad, etcallhome and HydroHarold like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    That is really cool. The pic of the kid working the rotary phone is priceless - just shows how far the technology has come.

Who would have thought 20 years or so ago that everyone would have a pocketable telephone that works on battery power and can connect just about anywhere. Myself, I am staying behind. There is no cell service where I live and don't see the need for a cell phone anyway. I had to have one for my last job and hated it - left it turned off most of the time. I feel these "smart" phones have become an epidemic of sorts - just amazing when I go to a city and see people constantly on the cell phone and in such weird places. What in the world do they all have to talk about all the time?

Would love to see some more pics of the museum if you can get them.
    etcallhome likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Very cool, next time I am in the area I will have to look it up. Like all the butt sets hanging on the wall. I've got a collection of them in a box in the attic. Need to get them out.

My parents live in a rural part of Alabama. Up until about two years ago they could only call local to 4 homes. Had rotary well into the 2000s.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    That is really cool. The pic of the kid working the rotary phone is priceless - just shows how far the technology has come.

Who would have thought 20 years or so ago that everyone would have a pocketable telephone that works on battery power and can connect just about anywhere. Myself, I am staying behind. There is no cell service where I live and don't see the need for a cell phone anyway. I had to have one for my last job and hated it - left it turned off most of the time. I feel these "smart" phones have become an epidemic of sorts - just amazing when I go to a city and see people constantly on the cell phone and in such weird places. What in the world do they all have to talk about all the time?

Would love to see some more pics of the museum if you can get them.
    Since I worked out of the Mogantown Storeroom, (home of WVU) WVU like other Universities got a lot of the new telephone features. So we had thinks in Morgantown that Charleston (our capital) didn't receive. Once the digital age started kicking in ,we had workers from Bell Labs coming in and showing or telling us of the new items or features being made. I'm thinking back in the early 80's , we still had some 4 party lines in the rural areas near us. We were told in the next ten years a portable phone or even a hand held device that could hold our notes ,even have a calendar for our appointments and we could save upto 50 telephone numbers with all info of that person . I was installing small key systems that required a 25 pr cable to each phone just to have 2 or more lines on a business phone. He then told us that a new business key system was being developed that would only require 1 pair of wires that could handle maybe upto 50 telephone lines.. We all thought he was crazy and no way any of this would be available for the next 30 yrs let alone in less than 10 yrs. As it turned out I think it was less than 5 yrs for both things. The cell phone was another big thing .
    We've come a long way in the past 35 -40 yrs ,, I just wonder what did we do before cell phones and texting , which I DON"T and Won't do...
    arlen likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    Very cool. We used to have a bunch of old phone stuff in our Cenrtral Office. New managers keep tossing it so we have more empty rooms.....
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the post, the phone industry has really gone thru a lot of changes. When I was a kid we had a party line and were only supposed to answer a certain ring. IIRC our number was only 5 digits. The phone company pushed for everyone to go private line (at a premium cost). My Dad refused and for years we had a "private" party line, everyone went private but us. It also seems they charged for each extension, so my Dad would only plug them in when he wanted to use them. He was sure the phone company could tell how many extensions you had by current/voltage used to ring them.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #8
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    They used to be hard wired, without the plug in modular jack, and phone company got a fee for installing another extension, as well as the monthly fee for the extension. I remember my first year in college, visiting my grandparents, who still had the hard wired phone, and it was in the hallway. I changed that outlet to a modular jack for them, and then bought them a cordless phone. They never would have an answering machine though!
    mjncad likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,090 Times in 2,552 Posts
    Nice Gene, I have a few friends with great collections also but I never had the bug in the 27 years in the business to get anything.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Nice Gene, I have a few friends with great collections also but I never had the bug in the 27 years in the business to get anything.
    I have a few things , but nothing of any major value. Of course I kept my climbers (hooks), side tools, and a few other items but that is it. For some goofy reason I kept some of the manuals for old phones. Years ago a kid in Morgantown got ahold of a old intercom system, he buried lines between his friends and had their own little phone company. He now owns a business that installs business phones and data.
    Now replying to some of the others .. Yes phone co. charged for every extension , and yes if the person on the test board knew what they were looking for they could tell how many extensions were on the line. You could disconnect the ringer and then they had no idea of how many phones.

I remember working one Sat morning after a major thunder storm had gone through the area. The report said phone was blown into... yea right.
    When I got to the old 4 or 5 room house, found the phone setting on a stand near a window.
    Hand set blown into, the plastic case of the rotary desk phone melted so much you could not remove the cover or even turn the rotary dial. Both the mounting and receiver cords were shredded to very small pieces. Took the cover off the jack to replace phone and make it a modular jack. Started to loosen the screws and small beads of copper would drop down to the floor. The line running to the outside protector was ruined along with the protector and the line from pole cut into. Found a large hole in the ground about 5' across and 12-18" deep where lighting hit the line.
    Their son was talking on the phone when lighting hit the line.

Kenny , 636mullet myself and others have seen a lot of crazy things over the years. Plus the new technology that seems to be coming out every day.
    Like the voice a person hears on the other end of the line or phone is not your voice and 1000's of people can now use there phone at the same time using a piece of fiber about the size of a human hair and using different color light.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast