"Aluminum Overcast" EAA's B 17 WWII Bomber at Frederick field today 10-3-14
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: "Aluminum Overcast" EAA's B 17 WWII Bomber at Frederick field today 10-3-14

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks

"Aluminum Overcast" EAA's B 17 WWII Bomber at Frederick field today 10-3-14

Today the EAA had their Oshkosh WI based B 17 bomber "Aluminum Overcast" at Frederick MD airport. They offered ground tours of the plane for $10 for non veterans, free to veterans. I bought lots of T shirts, postcards, a model B17, hats, pins, etc.

One group of elderly was there, and when asked if this one lady was a veteran this ladies chaperon informed us she was at Pearl Harbor, she was an Army nurse back then. I thanked her for her service to our country. Many older veterans came out to see a bird some remembered from europe. You board up front, then climb up to the center gunners turret, then back through the bomb bay to an area with machine guns on each side, then out the tail. I was able to help strap down the engine covers which they installed as soon as the rain started. It was a really cool way to spend the afternoon.

They hope to fly saturday but there is concern for weather. My flight is set for 13:00 hours.

I borrowed a video camera which also takes pics. IDK, but my bud says he can make me a disc of what I shoot. I was told I should be able to get in the nose gunners turret and shoot video once we get in the air. I hope to have my hi-tech friends help me post a video or something. I hope to make & post some cool video one day soon.
    Last edited by Bigger-digger 2320; 10-03-2014 at 07:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    Sentimental Journey was in town last year. Two years ago Aluminum Overcast was in town. This year the Memphis Belle "The Movie" plane was in town. Pretty sweet to see them flying over my house as the Airport they use is inline with my house. Plus a P-51 called the Gunslinger is hangered there. Really neat to tour! The last two years I planned to ride with my dad, but they schedule funny.

DRobinson, farmgirl19 and Texkev like this.
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Some story getting to speak with a nurse from Pearl ! Between seeing the plane and speaking with the nurse had to make your day !
    About 4 yrs ago , we had B17 at Hart Field in Morgantown,WV. I got to walk around it and look in side but didn't have time to get inside or take a flight.

Good luck on weather conditions for tomorrow.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thank you for sharing! I love history...I used to grill my grandmother all the time. Sugarlips and I will take the bike and tour old cemetery's every year or so. There is one just south of us in Nacogdoches that is along the "El Camino Real" (San Antonio Rd) that is the oldest road in Texas. It has the first settlers buried there as its the oldest town in Texas.
    etcallhome, farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:31 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Broken...2320

I sure hope you can get the pictures posted. I was able to tour a B-17 a number of years ago. The thrill for me was to sit in the radio operator's seat, which is where my Dad sat for his missions over Europe in WWII. He always said that he would like to go for "one more ride", but never had the opportunity.

The WWII aviators, as were all WWII veterans, brave people.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, rgd and 2 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Thanks
    That's a cool story.

If you ever get a chance to go to EAA do it. I'm not a real history or airplane buff, but it's amazing on a number of levels. I went for several years when my boys were younger. It's truly a world class show.

They have a WWII encampment. I can't tell you how many old veterans we've talked to over the years. They all have interesting stories. We usually went on a day they were doing the warbirds air show. They do a WWII air battle complete with bombing runs. You can stand close enough to feel the heat from the simulated bombs. It's a great demo of how the different planes were used in WWII.

Sean Tucker does stunts with a Pitts biplane. He was mic'd into the PA system. He talked while going straight up and you could hear the affects of the Gs on his voice.

9. Top | #7
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Just to be clear, the EAA has Fly-Ins around the country, but I think the one MDrew is referring to is the big AirVenture in Oshkosh. It is AWESOME!! Well worth visiting. Here is the link, with info from this year's event.

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh | Oshkosh, Wisconsin | Fly-In & Convention
    rgd likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

Levi (10-04-2014)

11. Top | #8
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks FG for the info. My bro-in-law is a commercila pilot...flies citations. I know he'll be interested...or think he will. I'm gonna hound him to take my wife and I up there to that show, if it fits his schedule. All texas fg19's welcome to hitch a ride if we can swing it
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks

Ya know totally awesome? Today was way better than that!

So I head to the airport this morning and this pick up passes going the other way. The license plates were FRMGRL, she had two horses in the trailer. I wondered if anyone here has a cousin in MD? J/K.

Yesterday I parked within 100' of the plane. Today I parked 1200' away. We are getting our pre flight briefing and the mechanic who was also our steward? He finishs his instructions and says, "I need a volunteer" Had I raised my hand any faster I would've hit him in the eye. Lucky me, I get the extra assignment. He has me sit in the rear seat, beside the door, and he gives me personal instructions on how to open the door in case of emergency.

We get our group photo in front of the plane. We taxi, and taxi, then sit for a long time. Taxi some more, sit some more. I am rolling video out my vantage point at the door. Finally he revs it up and we pick up speed rapidly, we are in the air! In a few minutes we get the thumbs up, we can unbuckle our seat belts and walk about the plane. I make my move forward, stopping at the machine guns long enough to get some video. I move forward, past the ball turret, the engines are getting louder, the wind is rushing up from my feet, coming in around the circluar hole maybe 36" in diameter. I move to where I turn my camera rearward, filming the antenna and rudder. He banks the plane and I get a shot of farmland off the side.

I step over the bulkhead and walk carefully through the bomb bay, making my way to just behind the pilot.
    I move up just behind the pilot, get some vid out his view. Then down to the nose cone gunners seat. Now the roar of four nine cylinder motors is quite loud, there is a small 5"dia? clear plastic window open in the front of the big clear plastic dome, cold air is blowing in my face. What a thrill!!! I am about 2500' above Frederick shooting video with nothing but the plastic dome between me, the heavens, and the earth. I knew I was closer to God. Words cant do it justice, neither can video.

Too soon the man has everyone clear the front nose cone. He warned us that area would clog up with people cause nobody wants to leave that spot. We get thumbs down, time to return to seat and buckle up, prepare fore landing.

BEST DANG $450 I EVER SPENT!

Camera batteries went dead just before we landed, so I didnt get everything. But the show from that nose cone was just awesome. I got that video.

We made a disc. Now I need someone with internet connection to post it somewhere for me so I can share this.
    Last edited by Bigger-digger 2320; 10-04-2014 at 05:15 PM.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,085 Times in 2,550 Posts
    Very cool, thanks for sharing! Offer still stands...bring that disk over!

The "Wings of Freedom" tour by the Collings Foundation is happening this weekend at the Carrol County airport, that's less than a mile from me. I've went several time in year past, its a great little show. Got pics somewhere...

The Collings Foundation historical aircraft B-17, B-24 & P-51 will arrive Westminister, Maryland after visiting the Morristown Municipal Airport, NJ (KMMU), departing from there on Friday, October 3rd when they fly to Carroll County Regional Airport, Maryland the same day. Following their schedule Click Here
    Events

The Collings Foundation - Preserving Living Aviation History for Future Generations
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast