Anyone Had a GM vehicle recall for the ignition problem?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Anyone Had a GM vehicle recall for the ignition problem?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks

Anyone Had a GM vehicle recall for the ignition problem?

I got the letter in September. It said wait until October to make an appointment with the dealer. I made the appointment and the service adviser said bring up to two keys. This is for a Chevy Impala. The Service Adviser said about a 30 minute job.

I was expecting a new ignition switch, with tumblers that "learn" the current key's cut/pattern. Or maybe they can pull the cylinder and reuse it in a new switch? But why bring two keys?

When I arrived they said all they needed was my two keys.

The recall stated "unintended key rotation"

My keys had a long slot for a split ring that attached the keyless entry remote. They installed "inserts into the slotted hole to make it a centered round hole and added two more smaller diameter split rings between the key and the original split ring connecting the remote.

The inserts (two per key, one each side) were $0.14 each. The split rings were also $0.14 each. Labor was .4 hour equaling $32.98!
    I think I could have pounded the inserts in and installed the split rings in about 2 minutes. Their 1/2 hour estimate turned into an hour.

I did look at new trucks and marveled at the list prices.

They told me the insert kept the "load" centered in the ignition, and was less likely to rotate than with a slot where the split ring slides to the edge of the key hole.

I wonder how much GM spent engineering this "fix"? Probably still cheaper than replacing locks and keys both parts and labor wise.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

spferdil (10-15-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 AM
    Thanks
    Apparently there are multiple inginition-issue recalls.

According to this Chevy news release, they are replacing the key, ignition switch and tumblers in some cars.

I noticed that your Impala isn't on that list though.

That $.14 key insert just sounds weird. It certainly doesn't sound like something that's going to inspire a lot of confidence in customers.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    My HHR and wife's Cobalt got new keys.

Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here's a before and after picture. GM would only pay $0.56 each for two keys. I have three, so they would only modify two.
    Plus Gizmo would say it never happened without a picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Impalakeys 002.JPG  
    J

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    I noticed the weird key hole change also. Seems weird that they wanted to swap so many vehicles out. My mom has a 2010 Camaro with the blade key that fits into the fob. She got a notice and they want to change hers to match this style. She refused it.

Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I got the letter in September. It said wait until October to make an appointment with the dealer. I made the appointment and the service adviser said bring up to two keys. This is for a Chevy Impala. The Service Adviser said about a 30 minute job.

I was expecting a new ignition switch, with tumblers that "learn" the current key's cut/pattern. Or maybe they can pull the cylinder and reuse it in a new switch? But why bring two keys?

When I arrived they said all they needed was my two keys.

The recall stated "unintended key rotation"

My keys had a long slot for a split ring that attached the keyless entry remote. They installed "inserts into the slotted hole to make it a centered round hole and added two more smaller diameter split rings between the key and the original split ring connecting the remote.

The inserts (two per key, one each side) were $0.14 each. The split rings were also $0.14 each. Labor was .4 hour equaling $32.98!
    I think I could have pounded the inserts in and installed the split rings in about 2 minutes. Their 1/2 hour estimate turned into an hour.

I did look at new trucks and marveled at the list prices.

They told me the insert kept the "load" centered in the ignition, and was less likely to rotate than with a slot where the split ring slides to the edge of the key hole.

I wonder how much GM spent engineering this "fix"? Probably still cheaper than replacing locks and keys both parts and labor wise.
    Thank you for posting this, I also got the letter on my wife's Impala. It said they would let me know when they had the parts but haven't heard from them yet about that. I was pretty sure from the wording (and prior experience) that they would not be replacing the ignition switch, but I couldn't figure out what they were talking about on the keys. Now I know and it sounds like a real joke.

This reminds me of a recall my dad got once stating that he might have defective motor mounts that could break and let the engine rise up and hang the accelerator. He took it in thinking they were going to replace the motor mounts, but all they did was put a piece of cable around the left mount so that when it did break the engine could not rise up!

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 636mullet View Post
    I noticed the weird key hole change also. Seems weird that they wanted to swap so many vehicles out. My mom has a 2010 Camaro with the blade key that fits into the fob. She got a notice and they want to change hers to match this style. She refused it.

Had I known what they were going to do, I would not have wasted an hour going in (that was with an appointment). And saved GM some warranty $$$$

I was fun looking at the new trucks I can not afford. But someone must be buying them. I hope they keep selling so my pension check keeps coming every month.
    arlen likes this.
    J

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    That repair does sound like a real joke. But I bet the lawyers will do well.

Dad had a 71 C/10 he bought new. He got a notice from either lawyers or GM about the in cab fuel tank. He did not pursue it. Some time later he got a coupon in the mail for a whopping $100 off his next new GM truck. WOW, $100??? They give you more discount than that even if you werent "wronged". What BS, it cost em more to print and mail the coupons than it did to "make it right"? But you can bet the ambulance chasing lawyers got plenty.

Legislatures / lawyers, most are about the immoral transfer of wealth. But not all.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Long time ago I got a letter asking me to join a suit against GM. It was for either the 1997 Tahoe or the 1999 Suburban. Someone claimed that the fuel tank held less fuel than GM said and they were "shorted" driving range. The Suburban holds so much fuel (44 gallons?) I hate to fill it up. I did not join the suit.
    J

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    I guess the laws vary, but in one case which I was "offered" a chance to be a plaintiff I had to opt out of the class action suit in writing, otherwise they were going to sue in my name anyway. I was instructed to write the federal court by a certain date or I would be named a plaintiff. This ensures the lawyers who were never involved are still able to cash in while I seek nor get anything. Laws written by lawyers, for lawyers, at the expense of the consumer. More immoral transfer of wealth made possible by legislation written solely to enrich scoundrels. It's 98% of what govt is all about.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast