• 2 Post By wjfawb0
  • 1 Post By sennister

Thread: HDMI Video Capture

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:07 AM
    Thanks

HDMI Video Capture

Anyone have any ideas on how to capture HDMI video and store 24/7 recordings for 10-15 days at a time?
    The reason I am asking is because I was thinking about bypassing my icloud service for my home security cameras. I have a very nice 6 camera 4k high def PoE system and I pay over $400 per year to store the video in the cloud additional to the local NVR storage. I want to just capture the video from the HMDI that goes to my tv and send it to a secondary storage that I could hide. I know that the picture could not be split into the individual cameras at that point from that secondary storage but if its 1080p quality, it would just have all 6 cameras would be on the screen at the same time. Hopefully, it would still produce good enough video to playback if necessary.
    I have done some research but I could spend days and days looking at possible options. And I know that this site is loaded with very smart folks whom have a vast array of knowledge so I thought I would ask the group to save some time and to possibly come up with some very creative options ......

Thanks

2017 JD 2038R, 220R Loader Heavy Bucket, Single Point Hydro
    60" MMM w/ Mulching Kit, JD iMatch, Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar,
    Custom Deck Dolly, Titan Forks, Strongway Plug Aerator,
    ECHO 58V Trimmer, Blower & Chainsaw, Ford F250,
    Jeep Grand Cherokee, 92 American Skier, 18 Lamar Tilt
    Deck Trailer

Brendan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Not exactly what you are asking but what kind of cameras? Brand and Model.

Since they are POE they have an IP Address. If they use a standard format there are some options to intercept the signal and dump to a PC.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I should add that there are a few HDMI capture options that I know of but the challenge is they are more designed for manual interaction. You are going to want to automate it so a new file is created at certain intervals. Maybe 1 hr or 30 min. The easier part is to set up an automated process to say if the file is older than XX days to delete it.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I was not thinking about a computer option as if the house was broken into, they would most likely just take it too. I am just looking to record the HDMI video that comes off the NVR(DVR) and store it. I have seen some production video type equipment that stores video on SSD drives that could work. I was just looking for other options or if anyone else had any suggestions.
    Deck Trailer

Brendan

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks
    If your NVR is providing PoE, you could get a seperate switch with PoE to supply the cameras, otherwise the NVR really only needs one ethernet line (running to a hub/switch) & power. You can stow it some place hidden + hardened to avoid detection & easy access that is well away from the camera PoE hub (maybe a fire rated safe? You could even run the lines in via the base). There would be nothing to distinguish a line running to a camera vs one running to the NVR so the connecting cable would not be a giveaway. Use a PC or other device for real time monitoring via a display, not the direct output from the NVR.
    Last edited by nikdfish; 03-27-2018 at 08:30 AM.
    2010 JD 3038e w/305 FEL 2013 JD 1025R FILB 2017 JD x394
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-01-2019 @ 09:25 AM
    Thanks
    If your cameras are IP cameras, you can use Blue Iris software on a PC or easier get a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive from someone like Synology that basically connects to the IP cameras directly and records everything they see all day long. The NAS uses two or more "red" drives which are built to run 24/7.

I have six IP cameras at my house. All are Foscam cameras at the moment. I have a Synology disk station NAS with two 1TB drives mirrored (one fails other has all the same data). I'm running synology's Surveillance Station software that monitors the IPcameras and records 24/7 what they see. It also tracks when the cameras are "triggered" by motion making playback of the whole day's video easy if necessary. The NAS comes with two licenses for cameras, and you have to buy more to use the software to monitor more cameras. You can buy the licenses on Amazon and I'm sure other places.

My IP cameras also send me three snapshots to my webmail account every time they are triggered. That allows me to see real time when something is going on around the house.

The NAS also holds the daily backups of all of my computers at the house. System images, etc. I could use it as a media server too, but I don't do that. The different disk stations have different processors and hardware to be faster or slower depending on how much you want them to do. Mine is an older model DS214+ that is good for storage but not so great for streaming video and media to TVs. Every one of Synology's NAS's have specs giving the number of ip cameras they can support. I think mine supports up to 16.

Here's a screenshot of the BlueIRIS software:

My Foscam cameras brought up locally using Foscam's software:

2LaneCruzer and fjjd18 like this.
    Jason

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fjjd18 View Post
    I was not thinking about a computer option as if the house was broken into, they would most likely just take it too. I am just looking to record the HDMI video that comes off the NVR(DVR) and store it. I have seen some production video type equipment that stores video on SSD drives that could work. I was just looking for other options or if anyone else had any suggestions.
    If you store it on a video equipment that is just as easily stolen as a computer. The computer can just be the interface to capture the video and store it wherever. Maybe that is some online storage product or maybe it is a well hidden removable hard drive or network attached storage device. If they grab the computer, odds are they are in a hurry and are not going to trace down every USB cable to see what is on the other end. They are after the bigger ticket items. If it is NAS then it could be anywhere that has network access and power.

The other challenge is going to be how willing are you to dive into technology? Sure this can be done but I work in IT and am comfortable in Linux and the variants that the average person doesn't use. There are probably cheap options but they will take a lot of leg work to get them up and running so you "pay" for it in the back end. Consider it a time cost rather than a dollar cost. I like to try and put a dollar figure on my time to help justify paying someone to do something or buying a tool vs a free or lower cost open source solution. There are other options that are more expensive, that you might just hook up and it works but it might not do everything you want. For instance you mentioned having 6 cameras that do 4K video. You could combine all six images into a single 1080 video that is tiled but is that going to retain video of the quality needed to be of any value? I guess that depends on what you are recording. If it is a camera up in the corner of a warehouse you could see that someone was there taking something but that is probably going to be about it. If there is a camera pretty close to the point of entrance then it might provide enough detail to be of value for LEO.

Really a lot of times people look at some of these problems like computers or technology are some magical thing. At a high level much of this can be equated to other things like tractors, this is a John Deere Forum after-all. Do you want to spend a little more for an IMatch along with all the green 3pt attachments and have everything just work? It might cost more but you don't have to think about it. Your other option is to go out and buy a Harbor Freight Quick Hitch and every color attachment under the sun to fill out your needs. That may mean that each attachment doesn't quite fit the Quick Hitch. Through some custom fabrication you might adapt all the parts to work but it might not be as clean as the all green option and it takes time. If you don't have the tools or the skill set to make the modifications, would you have been better to just go with the green stuff? The benefit is that maybe one of those different colored attachments might do the job a little better than the green version. Maybe that is the original and the green one is just a clone. There might be $$$ savings in this route but fabrication takes time. What is your time worth? Really all of this applies just about everything IT as well.

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wjfawb0 View Post
    If your cameras are IP cameras, you can use Blue Iris software on a PC or easier get a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive from someone like Synology that basically connects to the IP cameras directly and records everything they see all day long. The NAS uses two or more "red" drives which are built to run 24/7.

I have six IP cameras at my house. All are Foscam cameras at the moment. I have a Synology disk station NAS with two 1TB drives mirrored (one fails other has all the same data). I'm running synology's Surveillance Station software that monitors the IPcameras and records 24/7 what they see. It also tracks when the cameras are "triggered" by motion making playback of the whole day's video easy if necessary. The NAS comes with two licenses for cameras, and you have to buy more to use the software to monitor more cameras. You can buy the licenses on Amazon and I'm sure other places.

My IP cameras also send me three snapshots to my webmail account every time they are triggered. That allows me to see real time when something is going on around the house.

The NAS also holds the daily backups of all of my computers at the house. System images, etc. I could use it as a media server too, but I don't do that. The different disk stations have different processors and hardware to be faster or slower depending on how much you want them to do. Mine is an older model DS214+ that is good for storage but not so great for streaming video and media to TVs. Every one of Synology's NAS's have specs giving the number of ip cameras they can support. I think mine supports up to 16.

Here's a screenshot of the BlueIRIS software:

My Foscam cameras brought up locally using Foscam's software:

Something like this is what I had in mind. I don't know if it is compatible with every IP Based camera system out there but something like this would be much better than simply trying to grab a 1080 stream from a HDMI Camera.
    fjjd18 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Guys, sennister & wjfawb0, thanks for the info. This is very helpful and I will look into it further.

This is why I already love this site. There are so many folks on here with such a varied background and everyone is so helpful !!!

Thanks
    Deck Trailer

Brendan

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fjjd18 View Post
    Guys, sennister & wjfawb0, thanks for the info. This is very helpful and I will look into it further.

This is why I already love this site. There are so many folks on here with such a varied background and everyone is so helpful !!!

Thanks
    Not a problem. The one thing you might run into is not every camera is 100% compatible with these other recording solutions. For instance, I know you don't have one but lets say you had a Nest camera. Well they want you to pay for their on going service. The service backend is where they make the real money. Sometimes they lock down the cameras or use special codecs (formatting) that doesn't follow an industry standard. This is good for them in terms of locking you into, I think you said $400/year, but bad for you if you wanted to at some point reduce costs.

Just a heads up that yes, there are options out there. They won't work in 100% of the cases. So if there is a program you are looking at like the one above, try a free version first or look at the make and model of the camera and check with them to see if it is compatible before forking out a bunch of money on a software package or investing in a NAS or other external storage device.

JD X585, 54C deck,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements