How are you storing your salt/sand mix for the winter?
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Poindexter
  • 2 Post By Drifterbike
  • 1 Post By balrog006
  • 1 Post By coaltrain

Thread: How are you storing your salt/sand mix for the winter?

  1. Top | #1
    Poindexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Last Online
    11-21-2018 @ 07:46 PM
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    How are you storing your salt/sand mix for the winter?

    I finally invested in a real spreader and am going to start buying my salt/sand mixes in bulk delivery. Tired of Home Depot trips and messing with the bags - I have a tractor with a big damn bucket right!

    So, that means I need to build a spot to store it and there is plenty of time to do some research. How are you setup? Got photos?
    Managing a 40 acre woodlot'd homestead. JD 4066R Cab | 440R | 3rd,4th,5th SCV | JD 60" Root Grapple | Frontier BB4284H 84" Box Blade | JD Bucket | JD 48 Pallet Forks | JD PHD400 Post Hole Digger | Wallenstein FX90 Skidding Winch | Wallenstein BX62R Chipper. The 1025R keeps the drive clear in the winter and the grasses' ears lowered | Mauser Cab | 60" mowing deck | 54" JD Blower | JD Salt/Sand Spreader | JD 60" rake | DR Power 1 ton Versa Trailer. Gone JD's, but not forgotten: X530 & 4052M.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,141
    Thanks
    1,093
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 2,264 Posts
    Since I have a gravel driveway I canít use salt. I tried to store sand that I thought was really dry only to have it freeze into one solid chuck.

    I suppose a 50/50 mix of sand/salt might be OK. But if you have a paved driveway why not use straight salt? Unless you have a steep hill where you need traction until the snow/ice melts.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  4. Top | #3
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,036
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    I store mine in 5-gallon buckets with tight fitting lids and it stays good from season to season. But bulk storage is a whole different matter. If it gets wet or draws damp it is going to get hard as a rock.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,917
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 220 Times in 176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Since I have a gravel driveway I canít use salt. I tried to store sand that I thought was really dry only to have it freeze into one solid chuck.

    I suppose a 50/50 mix of sand/salt might be OK. But if you have a paved driveway why not use straight salt? Unless you have a steep hill where you need traction until the snow/ice melts.
    Forgive me Stan, but Iíve never heard this before-why ďcanít ď you use salt on your gravel drive? Iím genuinely curious, not arguing or saying your incorrect, I truly have never heard anyone say they cannot use salt on gravel before. Maybe you meant you just wonít for some reason?

    I have a partial gravel drive and typically donít use salt on it, but I just canít come up with a reason why it wouldnít work or be so detrimental as to halt me from using it if I wanted to or had to...
    2004-L130

    2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

  7. Top | #5
    Poindexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Last Online
    11-21-2018 @ 07:46 PM
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Forgive me Stan, but I’ve never heard this before-why “can’t “ you use salt on your gravel drive? I’m genuinely curious, not arguing or saying your incorrect, I truly have never heard anyone say they cannot use salt on gravel before. Maybe you meant you just won’t for some reason?

    I have a partial gravel drive and typically don’t use salt on it, but I just can’t come up with a reason why it wouldn’t work or be so detrimental as to halt me from using it if I wanted to or had to...
    You don’t want to use 100% salt or you end up with mud season throughout winter. But an 80/20 sand to salt mix is okay. That’s what the pros do around here.

    That’s my plan for the gravel 1/4 mile of my driveway. The rest is paved.
    Last edited by Poindexter; 03-30-2018 at 12:56 AM.
    coaltrain likes this.
    Managing a 40 acre woodlot'd homestead. JD 4066R Cab | 440R | 3rd,4th,5th SCV | JD 60" Root Grapple | Frontier BB4284H 84" Box Blade | JD Bucket | JD 48 Pallet Forks | JD PHD400 Post Hole Digger | Wallenstein FX90 Skidding Winch | Wallenstein BX62R Chipper. The 1025R keeps the drive clear in the winter and the grasses' ears lowered | Mauser Cab | 60" mowing deck | 54" JD Blower | JD Salt/Sand Spreader | JD 60" rake | DR Power 1 ton Versa Trailer. Gone JD's, but not forgotten: X530 & 4052M.

  8. Top | #6
    Drifterbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:56 PM
    Location
    Hampton Ill
    Posts
    2,715
    Thanks
    1,086
    Thanked 317 Times in 278 Posts
    Funny this comes up today. After I got home from work I washed the 1025 and salt spreader and front blade. I use bagged salt and the rock salt I use has a blue tint it is easy to see when it is spread. Last year I had 8 bags left over and it seemed like they were always in the way. This year I watched it closely and last Friday night I went and bought 3 more bags based on thr forecast for last Saturday. I plowed three times last weekend and on the last cleanup I ran all the salt out. I have a gravel driveway with a incline that I salt if I don't I want make it up it with my van. I also salt the paved parking areas I and drive in front of both garages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg
    stg454 and JD4044M like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

  9. Top | #7
    ejb69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Location
    Green Bay / Pembine Wi
    Posts
    2,274
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 126 Times in 122 Posts
    I donít use much salt as I too have a gravel driveway. I keep two 55 gallons barrels of sand or chip stone in my shop so it doesnít freeze.
    Eric

    2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

  10. Top | #8
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,141
    Thanks
    1,093
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 2,264 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Forgive me Stan, but Iíve never heard this before-why ďcanít ď you use salt on your gravel drive? Iím genuinely curious, not arguing or saying your incorrect, I truly have never heard anyone say they cannot use salt on gravel before. Maybe you meant you just wonít for some reason?

    I have a partial gravel drive and typically donít use salt on it, but I just canít come up with a reason why it wouldnít work or be so detrimental as to halt me from using it if I wanted to or had to...
    Quote Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
    You donít want to use 100% salt or you end up with mud season throughout winter. But an 80/20 sand to salt mix is okay. Thatís what the pros do around here.

    Thatís my plan for the gravel 1/4 mile of my driveway. The rest is paved.
    Poindexter answered it well. Putting salt on dirt makes mud. When salt gets down into the dirt over the winter, as the dirt thaws it still has a lot salt residue. Then in the spring you will have really soupy mud and will take 2-3 times as long to dry up.

    Calcium is even worse.

    As said I wouldnít be afraid of an 80/20 mix (20% salt). What that will do will hopefully stop the sand from freezing. But in my experience only 20% salt in the sand will make it freeze into a solid rock the same or worse because the salt will attract moisture in the air then freeze.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,917
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 220 Times in 176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Poindexter answered it well. Putting salt on dirt makes mud. When salt gets down into the dirt over the winter, as the dirt thaws it still has a lot salt residue. Then in the spring you will have really soupy mud and will take 2-3 times as long to dry up.

    Calcium is even worse.

    As said I wouldnít be afraid of an 80/20 mix (20% salt). What that will do will hopefully stop the sand from freezing. But in my experience only 20% salt in the sand will make it freeze into a solid rock the same or worse because the salt will attract moisture in the air then freeze.
    Thanks for clarifying and explaining youíd consider a mix.

    That that said if I had a steep slope or other problem area Iíd choose the lesser of two evils and salt the area as necessary for access or safety and deal with whatever mud I made by it. My drive is mostly stone/crushed concrete so is likely be minimal, but not everyoneís drive material is the same
    coaltrain likes this.
    2004-L130

    2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

  12. Top | #10
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,141
    Thanks
    1,093
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 2,264 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying and explaining youíd consider a mix.

    That that said if I had a steep slope or other problem area Iíd choose the lesser of two evils and salt the area as necessary for access or safety and deal with whatever mud I made by it. My drive is mostly stone/crushed concrete so is likely be minimal, but not everyoneís drive material is the same
    Youíre right - all depends on what material is on your driveway, the density and thickness. Crushed concrete tightly packed and at least a couple inches deep wonít be too bad.

    I used to live up 8 miles of township dirt road - not a pebble of gravel on it. Mid season was bad enough without adding to it.

    As far as your steep hill sand alone will do better than a mix. Adding salt to it will cause some melting on the surface to only refreeze within a couple hours making more ice. Sand will stay there and provide traction until covered my the next snow.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts