Like Tree207Likes

Thread: PA Residents - get ready for the Marketplace Sales Act

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,263 Posts

PA Residents - get ready for the Marketplace Sales Act

Bad news for PA Residents who shop on-line. Get the lube out. If I read correctly it looks like this takes effect this month.

Pennsylvania Revenue chief explains the state's new online sales tax law - The Morning Call

I'll bet most places are just going to send the notices out.
    Last edited by jgayman; 04-02-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson and Old Cajun like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Good luck enforcing it. Unless the business has a nexus in the state - an office, agent or employee conducting business there - a state has no legal means to force an out of state company to act as a tax collector for them. It gets complicated when you sell through an Amazon or Walmart that probably has a nexus there.

Speaking of PA.....I bought a tractor there at an auction over the weekend. $1000+ in sales tax if I pick it up. Called the PA Department of Revenue today and waited 30 minutes on hold while they dealt with the 3(!) people in front of me. Asked how I would get my sales tax back if I picked it up. In the typical nasty manner of a state employee, I was informed that I could appeal to a board for a refund but there was no guarantee that I would get it back and she was unwilling to even tell me what the law in PA was with respect to sales tax liability from out-of-state purchasers. After I hung up, I said F it and got a quote from U ship for half the sales tax fee. Considering that it would cost me $200 or so in fuel and trailer rental to go get it (not to mention a day of my time), I think I made the right decision.

Al

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Bad news for PA Residents who shop on-line. Get the lube out. If I read correctly it looks like this takes effect this month.

Pennsylvania Revenue chief explains the state's new online sales tax law - The Morning Call

I'll bet most places are just going to send the notices out.
    i just bought a set gator blades today from Amazon-and they collected the sales tax-along with the money for the sale of them blades. so as long as sales tax is collected i should be in the clear well we all new it was coming for a while-a good thing gone-again

i just thought of something-how could i get a out of state IP address? is that possible? and still have such items sent to my address?
    Last edited by BigJim55; 04-02-2018 at 07:18 PM.
    Old Cajun and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    Michigan enacted, or rather started to enforce an existing statute to the same effect about 2 years ago.

Major retailers (as mentioned above) like Amazon are in compliance, but not many others are.

There is a section on my state income tax where we’re supposed to claim any purchases where sales tax was not collected and pay it
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    I wish I could recall the article, but I had read that indeed a couple of states had sued some retailers and forced them to develop a system that would report sales back to them to enable them to tax individuals. From what I read the retailers expected more states to follow the same path so they were just going to start reporting to every state.

There is no way states are going to continue letting us purchase anything from anywhere without paying tax, the possible income for them is huge.

I predict state sales tax reporting for out of state purchases in every state within two years max.

The blood sucking maggots!
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Amazon and others collect sales tax already if your item is fulfilled from a place within your state. Amazon has fulfillment centers everywhere which is how they can offer 2 day shipping that would normally take 3 to 5 days or more. Of course if you live in a place like New Hampshire who hasn't a sales tax, it matters not.
    glc, BigJim55, spferdil and 2 others like this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,090 Times in 2,552 Posts
    This would seriously hurt small businesses like ours

We already collect 6% MD sales on in state sales, and pay the MD comptroller every quarter. If we had to do that for 49 other states it would be a real PITA.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    This would seriously hurt small businesses like ours

We already collect 6% MD sales on in state sales, and pay the MD comptroller every quarter. If we had to do that for 49 other states it would be a real PITA.
    Yep! Really sucks Ken, but I guess it was just a matter of time before they dug their greedy paws into the 'net.
    The bulk of our purchases online has been Amazon for a while now, and unfortunately we've been paying sales tax on most all of them.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 994 Posts
    Our scum bag politicians in *Loseriana* recently passed this crap.

Dirty rotten *astards.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, PaDave and 6 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    There is a section on my state income tax where we’re supposed to claim any purchases where sales tax was not collected and pay it
    Yes, we have had the same thing on the PA State tax return for a few years it is called Use Tax. But that was impossible to enforce. This new law will have vendors not only sending the purchaser a notice of tax due but also a form gets sent to the state. So now they will have a real paper trail back to YOU for the goods that you purchased.

That's a whole different ball game from what we've had previously.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, spferdil and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast