Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Any Camping Families Out there?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Thanks

Any Camping Families Out there?

My wife and I love to camp. We probably spend 3 out of 4 weekends a month during the late spring, summer, and early fall camping. Some of our friends say we "glamp" and not camp, but hey...that's the way we roll.

Our favorite Memorial Weekend campground is Alcona County Park up in Glennie Mi. Very nice place. It's about a 2 hour drive for us to get there. Only problem is that they do not take reservations before April 1st and they don't have an online reservation system. Phone calls only. Still trying to get our reservations in for Memorial Weekend. It has never been this hard in previous years. Starting to get worried that we may not get in. Here a picture of our new rig we picked up last year. It's on a site at Alcona Park.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Rig.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	584505

Oh yeah...the truck is Big Red. She's my baby!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    We bought a new Jayco Jayfeather 25BH last Feb. We had an older Dutchmen before that. We didn't use the Dutchmen that much but we fit in this one a lot better as a family. We also love the outdoor kitchen and having a bedroom up front for us. The kids love the bunks in the back. It is so much nicer not having to convert dining or sofa spaces into sleeping spaces anymore. Everyone has a bed and that is all it is.

For us we mainly hit local county or state parks. A few times a year we would do dry camping at a place about 40 miles from the house along a small river. It is just some land along a the small river that can't be farmed because it floods with every big rain. The farmer is related through marriages to my wife's side of the family. There are no hookups at all so we run generators and have about a 10 mile drive to town where they have a place at the county park to dump the black and grey tanks. The way the lot worked before, we could only go there when the people on the lease were there and they only went on the 3 big summer weekends. We were trying to get a spot but there is a waiting list. We just found out last weekend that the owner will let us use the lot whenever we want if we pay for part of the seasonal rent. Our cut... $50 for the summer. DEAL!!! A weekend at a county or state site was running us $150 for a weekend. Pull in Friday through Sunday. Granted this was with full hookups but still. I can deal with the generator and dumping tanks. On those big weekends we have had up to 14 campers packed on to the lot. They are pretty big sites. Some of the "campers" are 40'+ 5th wheels and Class A and C motor homes.

I don't have many photos on my phone but here are a few. Oh and based on the 10" of snow that we got yesterday, we won't be out camping for a while yet. In that last shot the main camper visible is a friend's camper. He stores at our place since he lives in town and the neighbors complain. Ours is right next to it but pretty much blocked by the tree. Then you can see the front of my In-law's Heartland 5th Wheel.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    We bought a new Jayco Jayfeather 25BH last Feb. We had an older Dutchmen before that. We didn't use the Dutchmen that much but we fit in this one a lot better as a family. We also love the outdoor kitchen and having a bedroom up front for us. The kids love the bunks in the back. It is so much nicer not having to convert dining or sofa spaces into sleeping spaces anymore. Everyone has a bed and that is all it is.

For us we mainly hit local county or state parks. A few times a year we would do dry camping at a place about 40 miles from the house along a small river. It is just some land along a the small river that can't be farmed because it floods with every big rain. The farmer is related through marriages to my wife's side of the family. There are no hookups at all so we run generators and have about a 10 mile drive to town where they have a place at the county park to dump the black and grey tanks. The way the lot worked before, we could only go there when the people on the lease were there and they only went on the 3 big summer weekends. We were trying to get a spot but there is a waiting list. We just found out last weekend that the owner will let us use the lot whenever we want if we pay for part of the seasonal rent. Our cut... $50 for the summer. DEAL!!! A weekend at a county or state site was running us $150 for a weekend. Pull in Friday through Sunday. Granted this was with full hookups but still. I can deal with the generator and dumping tanks. On those big weekends we have had up to 14 campers packed on to the lot. They are pretty big sites. Some of the "campers" are 40'+ 5th wheels and Class A and C motor homes.

I don't have many photos on my phone but here are a few. Oh and based on the 10" of snow that we got yesterday, we won't be out camping for a while yet. In that last shot the main camper visible is a friend's camper. He stores at our place since he lives in town and the neighbors complain. Ours is right next to it but pretty much blocked by the tree. Then you can see the front of my In-law's Heartland 5th Wheel.
    Nice! We changed over from the bunkhouse to more of a retirement style. Our boys are now 17 & 20 and don't go camping with us more than a couple times a year now. Not all bad. We enjoy our time away for sure.

BigK
    ColonyPark and Oscar Leroy like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigK View Post
    Nice! We changed over from the bunkhouse to more of a retirement style. Our boys are now 17 & 20 and don't go camping with us more than a couple times a year now. Not all bad. We enjoy our time away for sure.

BigK
    Yeah our kids are 9 & 12 so we have a few more years then will look at something different. I wouldn't mind one of those HT 5th wheels. Going with a big one like what my in-laws have is nice but a lot harder to find a spot for a 40+' rig. I have driven it a few times and prefer that to what we have on the interstates. The trade off is in parking lots and tight camp sites.

They live in FL for the winter and in the 5th wheel in the summer using our backyard as a base and head out for a few days/weeks at a time all summer. Since they live in it 5 months a year, I get why the size is appealing to them. We have full hook ups including internet for them down there so it works well. Oh and he cuts my grass while I am at work. One less thing to squeeze in before going camping.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ColonyPark and Oscar Leroy like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 977 Posts
    We love camping, but I'd say we glamp. We have a Rockwood with bunks for our kids, ages 15 and 13 (almost). They love to camp too, as "they never have to do anything" when they're camping, and neither do I! No lawn to mow, projects to complete, etc. We like our state parks, they are quiet and cheap and the sites seem to be more private/wooded. We have used our camper between 10-14 times per year. This season, we are booking the weekends up quickly!
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:56 PM
    Thanks
    For a change I am on the other side. My parents camped every weekend. Started out in a tent and we pulled supplies in a old ford pickup box behind the 61 plymouth wagon. Started out when I was 8 and I finaly got out of it when I was 16 and had a job. I couldn't play and sports in high school because we were camping. Had the tent at Lake Tahoe and out water bucket froze over night. then a small Shasta trailer, then a little bigger trailer. after I quit they came up with a 35ft Avon and it was a nice trailer. When I met my wife I made her a promise if we traveled we would stay in motels. This is the one thing I kept my word on.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    When our kids were young, we used to camp a lot. We had a tent, a Coleman stove and lantern. We packed everything we needed into our old '60 4dr Impala. We usually went somewhere the girls could swim and fish, and they really enjoyed it...and it was a great relief at a stressful time in my life...living in town was NOT my idea of fun. Once we moved to the acreage, I don't recall us camping ever again.
    Have wings, will travel.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    We're a bit different.

I grew up tent camping, both parents and 5 kids in one big tent. We had a lot of great vacations that way, saw a lot of America and Canada. When my wife and I got married, we used to go backpacking a lot. We even went for a weekend backpacking trip when she was 6 months pregnant with our second child and with our 2 year old daughter. We did a lot of camping when the kids were young and they always had a blast. They still love it to this day.

We have always loved primitive camping - no toilets, no running water, having to dig a hole in the woods, having to filter and carry your drinking water from streams, springs, mud puddles, whatever you can find. Walking in a few miles, with no one around. Now that we're getting older, we have slowly drifted away from camping, staying in hotels and using airbnb. But a few years ago we did take a 3 day trip on the Appalachian Trail around Damascus, Virginia.

We did end up buying a 26 ft travel trailer for our land in the mountains. We tried tent camping there, and it was fine for vacationing, but it's difficult to get things accomplished when you don't have the comforts of home like a kitchen, a bed, and water, and can't clean up after a long day of working outside. It makes a great temporary home until we can get something built.

I still dream of hiking the entire Appalachian Trail someday.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:32 PM
    Thanks

Any Camping Families Out there?

My son and I still camp during hunting season, hopefully we will continue to do that for many more years.

The days of the family going to a campground are all but over. My wife really likes motels now!

We have been very fortunate and now have property for family and friends to use/relax on. I am currently in the process of making a nice little area for camping.

Last edited by Ortimber; 04-04-2018 at 11:21 PM.
    JD 5052R
    JD 5100M
    JD 835M XUV
    JD 650G Dozer
    Kubota KX-057
    Kubota ZD1211

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:45 AM
    Thanks
    I have been camping a lot with my son the last 5 or 6 years. Along with the rest of his pack and troop and some dads.
    He is now a Boy Scout and working toward his Eagle badge so sadly those campouts will come to an end.
    I've also been busy at work the last couple years and that seriously hampered my camping days. We have one scheduled the end of this month at an archery club which is always a good time.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast