Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Any Homebrewers?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks

Any Homebrewers?

I used to be quite the homebrewer, and actually built myself a 1/2 barrel semi-automated brewstand. I've been a hop broker, which I sold the business about 6 months after starting (http://www.atonofhops.com/ , a couple of guys bought it and just kept it going basically the way I had, didn't even change the website I made), and have dabbled in assisting micro and nano breweries start up or actually investing in them to keep them going in rough times. This assistance turned out to be more lucrative than the brokerage.

Anyone else here do a bit of brewing on the side? Do you do it for fun or are you hardcore?

I've since given up on brewing because there was a conflict of interest with my day job. Little did I know that the one owner(who has since retired from the "day job" business) and the engineering manager, whom I worked under at the time (and I taught how to brew), were opening up a brewpub in my area. Needless to say, I still have the knowledge, and am here to help if there are questions. So I figured I'd start a thread, and if you want you can PM me with any assistance you might need. I actually DO know about brewing, not so much about tractors, so I can help with just about any phase you may be in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I don't do any of it, but have considered it from time to time. Had a friend in college that did a lot of home brewing, and I really enjoyed that beer. (As long as it was not the end of that particular run, as he had a lot of dregs in the last bottles. I think he was drinking as he bottled!)

There is a feed store within an hour drive of me that sells almost everything one needs to make homebrew or wine. Every time I go in there, I am VERY tempted!
    5304 likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 06:30 AM
    Thanks
    I do a little brewing. Beer and wine. I think I'll start the next batch of beer sometime around the first of December. I may have some questions for you. Thanks for offering your knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    5304 likes this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milharri View Post
    I do a little brewing. Beer and wine. I think I'll start the next batch of beer sometime around the first of December. I may have some questions for you. Thanks for offering your knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My pleasure! I might even make a little batch just for the holidays myself. I do miss my pumpkin ale and my ton-o-hops IPA...
    farmgirl19 likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    05-20-2016 @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    I've been brewing on and off for almost 20 years. Mostly 5 Gallon buckets of IPA kits and then bottle conditioned. I've done more complicated, from grains and kegging and what not, but I find the kits to come out tasting pretty good and simple and easy.

I've also done wine and mead every now and then.

Last year I did something new and made some Apple Hard Cider that turned out pretty good, need to try that again.
    5304 likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    I'm very close to building a brew sculpture and ordering some goodies from Bru-Gear!!!

I'll trade you brewing advice for tractor advice any day of the week, or weekend.......

I'll send you our equipment shopping list here soon and you can tell me what you think. I'm thinking it'll be a high end "fun" system. Meant for production for friends and family. Me and a friend are funding it, and a younger friend of ours who's still in school is going to be our "brewmaster". I'm the type of guy to spend once, cry once, and then be happy so I'm going all stainless, high heat pumps, good hoses, etc. We want to go from the grains to our lips - no kits. I know that's a tall order, but that's how we roll.....

-J.
    farmgirl19 and 5304 like this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 12:46 AM
    Thanks
    Don't brew, but I can always be available as a quality control sampler, just to make sure you're doing it right.
    farmgirl19, 5304 and felixm22 like this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 316 For This Useful Post:

OldmanX(11-03-2014)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 04:46 PM
    Thanks
    I would actually love to get into home brewing especially after a quick trip to Missoula MT where they have a great selection of micro brewery's. I will keep your offer in my mind as I would like to keg my own brew.
    5304 likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    I'm very close to building a brew sculpture and ordering some goodies from Bru-Gear!!!

I'll trade you brewing advice for tractor advice any day of the week, or weekend.......

I'll send you our equipment shopping list here soon and you can tell me what you think. I'm thinking it'll be a high end "fun" system. Meant for production for friends and family. Me and a friend are funding it, and a younger friend of ours who's still in school is going to be our "brewmaster". I'm the type of guy to spend once, cry once, and then be happy so I'm going all stainless, high heat pumps, good hoses, etc. We want to go from the grains to our lips - no kits. I know that's a tall order, but that's how we roll.....

-J.
    Not such a tall order at all. I can help along the way, just ask.

When I gave it all up I was brewing from grain to lips, just as you stated. I've got three of my brews on tap at the local brewpub (my recipe), brewed on a 15 bbl system. I've got about 10 years of experience, so there isn't much I haven't done wrong...

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Exeter View Post
    I would actually love to get into home brewing especially after a quick trip to Missoula MT where they have a great selection of micro brewery's. I will keep your offer in my mind as I would like to keg my own brew.
    I can help here too, that way you don't spend too much on un-needed equipment, and get you set up to keg, carbonate, and serve. Let me know when you'd like to start kegging and I can set you up with a nice list of "needs".

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast