The Jerry Seinfeld / Kramer syndrom.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: The Jerry Seinfeld / Kramer syndrom.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks

The Jerry Seinfeld / Kramer syndrom.

I'm not sure where to list this so if it needs to be moved ok to that.
    I'm always reading posts here where someone asks questions like how much weight can my FEL support, or can I bulldoze a ten ton rock with my 54" blade, or how deep can I run my tractor into a rice field before I sink in the mud, etc., etc., etc.

I call this the Seinfeld/Kramer syndrome. For you die hard fans of the show, do you recall the episode when jerry was shopping for a car & Kramer talked the salesman into a test ride. The sales guy got nervous over the length of the ride with Kramer behind the wheel. Then the gas warning light went on & the sales guy was flipping out but Kramer explained to him the real challenge lies in how far they can go before they got stuck with no fuel at all.

That's like some of the post here. Someone, will ask a question on how far can I push my machine. Usually its a new machine owner. It's like they don't want to read the manual, or they bought a tractor too small to fit the need. Are people really that uneducated on what they are buying or are they just need something to say? It's all good, but it makes me wonder about the guy driving down the highway along side of me. I wonder if he ever read the manual either? The post might be fun, but the downside if I had to guess at it that it uses GTT resources that might otherwise be saved for the really good stuff. Just my own 02. on this. I guess the same complaint can be said about my rant here. Oh well what goes around, comes around.
    etcallhome, Levi and Texkev like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks
    I think the "grumpy old man syndrome" is pretty common too
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    I think the "grumpy old man syndrome" is pretty common too
    Geez, give him some time! He's only been out of New York a few months. He'll wake up one morning and realize that living up here was all just a bad dream and he will be all mellowed out!

Me? I'll probably start drinking again one of these days!
    Gizmo2, arlen, farmgirl19 and 2 others like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Ever heard of a ghost town?
    636mullet and Levi like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I'm not sure where to list this so if it needs to be moved ok to that.
    I'm always reading posts here where someone asks questions like how much weight can my FEL support, or can I bulldoze a ten ton rock with my 54" blade, or how deep can I run my tractor into a rice field before I sink in the mud, etc., etc., etc.

I call this the Seinfeld/Kramer syndrome. For you die hard fans of the show, do you recall the episode when jerry was shopping for a car & Kramer talked the salesman into a test ride. The sales guy got nervous over the length of the ride with Kramer behind the wheel. Then the gas warning light went on & the sales guy was flipping out but Kramer explained to him the real challenge lies in how far they can go before they got stuck with no fuel at all.

That's like some of the post here. Someone, will ask a question on how far can I push my machine. Usually its a new machine owner. It's like they don't want to read the manual, or they bought a tractor too small to fit the need. Are people really that uneducated on what they are buying or are they just need something to say? It's all good, but it makes me wonder about the guy driving down the highway along side of me. I wonder if he ever read the manual either? The post might be fun, but the downside if I had to guess at it that it uses GTT resources that might otherwise be saved for the really good stuff. Just my own 02. on this. I guess the same complaint can be said about my rant here. Oh well what goes around, comes around.
    You have opened up a Pandora's Box...but elements of your post have tweaked some long-repressed emotions that are screaming to get out, so here goes. First subject is the owner's manual and the reading thereof. The manual for my truck, from its appearance, could have been a novel by Hemingway. It would probably take 3 or 4 days to get through it all, and to top it off, it must have been written by some stoner from India, it's so difficult to understand. Folks just won't read that kind of crap until they have a problem or a question. Luckily for me most every function of my truck is subject to intuition; can't say the same for my wife's new Mazda. In short, I'm not surprised folks don't read their owner's manuals.

Same for most motorized tools like the Weed Eater. At least some have a dummy outline that goes something like (a) fill with gas (b) turn switch to "start", (c) pump bulb 3 times (d) crank 3 times, (e) set switch to "run"; (f) crank until it starts. Not all have this short version, unfortunately.

I made my living with the English language for 40 plus years, and I have learned that when you write directions or instructions for folks, they won't read more than about 3 paragraphs, which prompts me to end this diatribe. One more thing; I never did get Seinfeld, guess I was too hooked on Mayberry RFD.

Thanks for the post. Human nature in the raw.
    HydroHarold, Levi and spferdil like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    I grew up on a farm so "Common" knowledge isn't the same for me as a person that grew up in the city. It's not to say I haven't seen some questions that are a little too easy, but like I stated before it's not always common. A person's background and upbringing is going to be the basis of what "common" knowledge they've picked up. My little 1026R is the smallest tractor I've ever ran. When you grow up with the big stuff you don't really think about scale and lift and power. Growing up I just hooked the tractor to the implement and ran it. So when I got my 1026R it didn't seem like it could do very much until I started to look at what it was capable of for its size. It makes sense once you spend some time with a product like a tractor in different scenarios. I can't speak for everyone on this site, but my best guess is that most of the members are coming from a more urban setting and looking to start more of rural life. As John Deere is a premium brand and I'm guessing a majority of the posts are in reference to newer, smaller Compact Tractors it sort of makes sense to me. Most people that can and do spend the $$ for John Deere probably have a good education and probably don't earn their $$ from ag based incomes. Plus most of the farmers I know aren't big forum people. Not to say that country folk don't use the internet, but I assume more "city folk" use internet forums. I'm not trying to put anyone down or make judgments on anyone. Just putting my own perspective out there.

When it comes to GTT does anyone have any stats that may be interesting to this topic? What are our most active sub forums? I see a lot of "new" owner threads in the what's new window so that's where my opinion is based. Good topic!

Gizmo2, HydroHarold, 5304 and 1 others like this.
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    And for anyone that may be put off by this topic I'd be willing to bet anyone on this forum would rather answer a hundred "dumb" questions than see anyone hurt because they were affraid to ask. That's what I believe makes GTT the great place it is. Answers and friendly advise.

Just be careful talking about going into places like Bed Bath and Beyond. I saw a memeber taking flak for a week over a recent visit. :empathy3:

Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Just be careful talking about going into places like Bed Bath and Beyond. I saw a member taking flak for a week over a recent visit.
    That is one of the most perfect comments I've read in a long time.
    You defended the member and then, in reality, made fun of the poor SOB. I hope the member doesn't see it.
    Oh crap, wait just a minute here..............
    DRobinson, rgd, 636mullet and 3 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    The only dumb question is the one not asked!!! I have the tech manual and the owner's/operator's manual, and other manuals for my old rig. But, while I understand the written dialogue most of the time, occasionally, I find the diagram does not appear to match what is stated, or the wording isn't clear to me.

I grew up with a 1941 Avery. Thought having a live PTO on the JD was getting into the "big time fancy", and loved it! While I do not consider myself to be the dullest knife in the drawer, I also am sure that I asked some questions that many think I should already know the answer to. Maybe I should, but where my machine is concerned, I'll still ask, because I hope that it lasts as long as possible, and I want to make sure that I am not the cause of a failure, if I am unsure of something.

If that leaves others rolling their eyes at me, so be it! Luckily, I do not get my feelings hurt very easily. I also pay as much as the next member for the privilege of asking my questions.
    Gizmo2, rgd, dieselshadow and 5 others like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

T-Mo (11-05-2014)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    The only dumb question is the one not asked!!!
    I have the tech manual and the owner's/operator's manual, and other manuals for my old rig. But, while I understand the written dialogue most of the time, occasionally, I find the diagram does not appear to match what is stated, or the wording isn't clear to me.

I grew up with a 1941 Avery. Thought having a live PTO on the JD was getting into the "big time fancy", and loved it! While I do not consider myself to be the dullest knife in the drawer, I also am sure that I asked some questions that many think I should already know the answer to. Maybe I should, but where my machine is concerned, I'll still ask, because I hope that it lasts as long as possible, and I want to make sure that I am not the cause of a failure, if I am unsure of something.

If that leaves others rolling their eyes at me, so be it! Luckily, I do not get my feelings hurt very easily. I also pay as much as the next member for the privilege of asking my questions.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Have wings, will travel.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast