Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: TPMS Surprise

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks

TPMS Surprise

After rotating tires, the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) sensors need to be relearned by the vehicle's computer for it to know which one is where. The places where I have mine rotated usually forget to do this and I wind up doing it myself later. The procedure to do it has always been in the owner's manual so no big deal.

So, just had the first rotation done on my '14 Silverado, looked in the manual and it says to take it to the dealer to reset these sensors because they have the needed tool(?). If you want to do it yourself you now need to buy your own tool. Searching on the internet, looks like the tool I need for mine starts around $80 - $100!

Has anyone else run into this? This seems like a total rip-off to me, these sensors on this vehicle don't do anything more than the ones on my others did, if anything they are not as accurate, so why is an expensive one-off tool now required?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    TPMS?? I still see no reason for it. More electronic hoopla designed to make life harder, in the long run. I think it was designed and installed on vehicles for those that do not own, or know how to use, a pressure gauge!

Sorry. Morning rant for the day.

Can't help you, so I probably should have just stayed quiet.
    HydroHarold, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    I just drive my truck a mile or two. It relearns which wheel is where. No tools required.

Jim
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    I thought they would relearn the locations . If not OK, now right rear is the right front . You have a low tire,
    I agree with FG just a PITA . something else to go wrong. i was told the other day, if you put a tire sealant in a tire with sensors,,it will ruin the sensor within about 200 miles . Now you need to buy a new sensor 50-100 plus repair of getting tire fixed..can't win another Gov Dumb A__ __ regulation.

FG I should have stayed out ,also
    Last edited by etcallhome; 11-06-2014 at 06:53 AM.
    HydroHarold, farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    The lame reason I heard was that the old way of resetting the TPMS sensors sometimes had/caused issues with near by vehicles, so GM disabled this relearn method from the vehicles starting 1-01-2011. Now you need a tool to activate the sensor to send a signal to the vehicle so it can relearn it's location.

I just bought a used 2011 Silverado, so I will be buying this tool. I have set of winter wheels/tires for it, no sensors, so I hope the only down side is a constant warning light.

My wife just bought a 2010 Mercury Mariner. It only monitors pressure, not location, so rotations will not be a problem. When she bought it there was a nail in one tire and the leak was slow enough it took a week to set an alert. After the same tire twice, I found the nail and had the tire repaired.

I have heard of mounting the sensors in capped PVC pipe and pressurizing the pipe and carrying them somewhere in the truck to fool the system.

I do not know the government's reason for requiring them. Maybe the sensor manufacture's lobby.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,272 Posts
    For my '09 Ford I bought the tool since I switch winter - summer tires. Found mine on ebay for $25.

Why not take it back to the place who rotated your tires?
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I do not know the government's reason for requiring them. Maybe the sensor manufacture's lobby.

Back in the 1990s there was a huge Firestone tire recall. People were driving around on tires with low air pressure and the treads were separating. The TPMS mandate came out of that in the form of the TREAD Act.

IMO, this was all a typical government over-reaction in order to protect stupid people from themselves. How hard is it to check your tire pressure on occasion?
    DRobinson, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-18-2019 @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks

TPMS Surprise

Not sure why there is so much hate over tpms. I love having it and specify knowing where each tire is. More then once it has alerted me to a small leak or nail long before I was sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.
    Yes you either need to buy the tool, or have a shop do it. Small price to pay in my books.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 668 Posts
    My Ford truck has the TPMS, but it only monitors low air pressure and does not tell me which tire may be low.

I had a slow leak in one of the tires and it let me know when the tire got down to 25 psi. The system alerted me. I keep a gauge in the truck so I could check and find which one it was. Radial tires are sometimes difficult to tell if they are actually low or not.

I check tire psi regularly and have the tires rotated every 5K miles. So for me when I rotate tires, the system does not have to be reset.
    Levi likes this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I dunno. My disdain for the TPMS has more to do with the fact that the car maker's could very easily install a $.13 Reset button that would allow you to reset the TPMS system yourself.

I have 4 different vehicles and swap out summer tires with snow tires on them. So twice a year I have to take 4 vehicles to a garage to have the TPMS reset? Kind of a PITA for something so minor. And, of course, they want to charge me $60/car to do it for me.... Why can I reset the "Service Required" light myself but not the TPMS?

And I'm not spending $1200+ on the various tools to reset all of them only to find out that when I buy the next car it uses some other system that I need another tool for.
    farmgirl19, Levi and spferdil like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast