I was woken up by my fire pager a little after 2am yesterday saying that there was a structure fire at a business in town. So, out the door I went and was on scene within a few minutes. I couldn't believe my eyes when I got there. The 20,000 sq ft garage/shop was totally engulfed and three quarters of the roof was down (first pic). I immediately grabbed my radio and told our dispatch (Sheriff's Office) to call our 2 neighboring Fire Departments and have them send "EVERYTHING". This business is a trucking company with close to 50 trucks and employs about to 80 people. The business owner, who is also a member of the fire department, was already on scene and told me that we absolutely had to save their office building……….which was less than 50 feet from the garage. He said that all of their records, files, and computers systems were extremely vital to the survival of the company.
When my guys arrived with all the equipment, I told them to just focus on saving the office building. We immediately began watering down the office from 3 sides. It was tough because the 30 mph wind was pushing the fire and hot embers towards us.
When the other two departments arrived I told them to setup on the front and back sides of the garage and begin trying to knock down the blaze.
Within an hour the garage was completely down and the fire was contained. I couldn’t believe how fast this place burned down. I was told a little after that the garage had 11 trucks and 1 trailer parked inside. Each truck was full of fuel (240 gal). Now I knew why………….2,640 gallons of diesel fuel will do that to a building.
Thanks to the quick work by my guys………..we were able to save the office and the business is still running.
It’s been nearly 20 years since we’ve had a structure fire this big. The first and third pic were taken from the same spot at a different angle. It shows you how close the office was to the garage.
Fire Demolishes St. Agatha Trucking Company Building - Maine's News, Sports, And Weather Leader - WABI TV5
This is the third fire in our county this past week. The two others were fatal fires……….extremely sad.
St. Francis man killed in fire likely caused by his using gasoline to start wood stove — Aroostook — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine