Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Horse Owners

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Horse Owners

I am an avid horse lover...have been since I can remember.
    Just curious as to how many horse owner are on the forum?
    How many do you have, what breed, and what do you do withthem (beside feed them, and clean up behind them)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,952 Posts
    We do my wife has had horses for..............never mind
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    ^^^^DORK^^^^

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Gizmo2 View Post
    ^^^^DORK^^^^
    X2!!

I have 3 horses (2 mares and a gelding) and a donkey. One of the mares is getting old and hard to keep weight on. Was worried last winter would be the last, but she made it through and enjoyed another summer. Donkey is pushing 30, as well, but since he rarely gets in a hurry, he shows no signs of slowing down! Both mares are QH, bred for racing. I added the gelding 18 months ago. Had said that I was not going to add any more horses to my feed bill, even when I lost the old ones, unless it was a donkey or two. Well, I ate those words. I fell in love with a 17.2 hand TB gelding (a retired racer), and he eats as much as the other 3 put together!! But, I still love him and can spend hours on a nice day, just brushing and petting on him. I can ride him too, but that doesn't happen often. My favorite speed for going across pastures is the trot, and his is so rough that it takes the fun out of it! I can't sit it, and am just enough out of shape that I can't post for more than a few minutes before my legs tell me about it.

Like you, I have loved horses my entire life. Used to be the joke that my first word was not "momma", it was "horse"! They are truly majestic creatures, and if I have had a bad day, I can go out and listen to them eat, and somehow it soothes the troubled soul.

Yes, I do more feeding of mine than anything else that others could see, but the therapy they give is immeasurable, so they do "earn their keep", IMO.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    My parents bought me my first horse when I was 11. He was a 3 month old half Arab/hunter/hackney colt. We grew up and learned a lot together, but I think he taught me more than what I taught him! He grew to be 16 hands! Have always been partial to Arabians ever since.

After Gizmo2 got out of the Navy, I bought an Arab/QH gelding.He was the best horse I ever owned. Both our daughters learned to ride and show with him. It was a very sad household when he succumbed to old age.

Right now we have a straight Egyptian Arab mare that is 26.She was born and raised on the farm. I believe Gizmo2 has mentioned her and her show career. She has been retired for many years now. She has teeth problems and quids her hay at times. We, also, just got over battling “rain rot”. She was showing her age until our daughter bought an Arab colt in July (must run in the family). Now she “babysits” him! He's a rip, but she puts him in his place. (must be a female thing !)

I can’t imagine not having horses. I just enjoy watching them in the pasture or going down to the barn The smell of horses, and I agree, their munching on hay has such a calming effect. They are beautiful creatures!
    farmgirl19 and Levi like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    I am not exactly a horse owner, but I am paying for three that my daughter owns. One is a Morgan that she showed in 4H dressage. She took him all the way to the state 4H show and made champion. Next she got a mini that she did in hand jumping and cart pulling also in 4H. A 4H leader gave her a "free" 6 month lease with option to buy. What a sneaky way to sell a horse. Feed it board it for 6 months then pay for it. Then she decided she wanted to train a horse and bought a colt. Breed I do not know. He was gelded for his birthday. I am told he is too young to ride.

I always like Festus's mule on "Gunsmoke" so I bought a Kawasaki Mule. . I looked at JD Gators, back then all the had was an under powered 4x2 and the 6x4. I told the dealer to tell JD to make the 4x2 a 4x4 and add a larger engine. It took them years to follow my advise.
    Gizmo2, farmgirl19, Levi and 1 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks
    Like Zebrafive, I too am not really a horse owner as I would say they belong to my bride as she is the one that has chosen them over the years. We have 2 quarter horses, Dancer (pushing 30) and Jake who is 12 or 13. I too had horses when I was younger but during high school and college, my available time to spend with them was lacking so we sold them. Having these two 'hay burners' in our family brings plenty of joy and happiness (along with the work) for both my wife and I. Our little barn is behind our house and we can see them from the master bath window. It's nice seeing them outside whether in the paddock or the pasture. As an outside kind of guy, it is always good when the time of the year gets to the point where the pastures can start to support the horses.

We too struggle with keeping weight on our senior (Dancer) and have started calling him the Energizer bunny as he is still with us after all these years. He gets a blanket all winter unless it is sunny and above 30. He just cant take the rain or snow and it is sad to see him shivering when he cant keep warm. Jake is a tank and right now, may be 60-80 lbs too heavy even for winter. With two horses sharing the paddock but separate stalls, it is still difficult trying to balance hay rations. Their grain is fed separately as Dancer obviously requires a larger heavier diet.

Living near Kettle Moraine State Park, we have less than a 15 minute trailer ride to get to the trails. There is over 40 miles of trails along with a Horserider's camp about 30 minutes away. My wife rides far more often than I do. Fall riding is my favorite because of the temps and the colors of the trees. I will say that when growing up on a farm, I wanted to do everything possible to get away from that lifestyle, now that I am older, I am doing everything financially possible to get back to that kind of lifestyle. Horses bring the right amount of chores and labor to break up my day. I do most of the chores both morning and night but am constantly reminded or asked if I would like to switch to doing the inside chores, which I respectfully decline. I can say my bride is 'closer' to the horses than I am. Whereas I may see them as needing to be fed, watered and cared for...she is the one grooming and spending time working with them.

Below are some pics of our boys. My bride is on Dancer and I am on Jake:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kettles 9.22.13 e.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	35832 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kettles 9.22.13 b.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	35833 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	35834 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0640.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	35835 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D & J.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	35836
    2011 JD 2520, 200CX FEL, iMatch Quick Hitch, 48" JD Box Scraper, 54" JD FM Snowblower, Artillian 36" Forks w/Backrest, Frontier PHD200, Woods RM59 Finish Mower & Heavy Hitch

10. Top | #8
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    We have 2.5 horses.....

Hank is mine. he's about 15yo, about, 15.2H, Tennessee Walker. He was a show horse before he was brought to Canada and was meant to be showed here as well. The lady who imported him had an "oooops" and became pregnant later in life, so wanted to sell him. He and are very connected when we ride, so I grabbed him. He's very smooth and fast. I've only rode for pleasure so far, but one day when all the damn yardwork is done, I'm going to hit some Polo balls off his back. Cowboy polo, not Julia Roberts/Pretty Woman style polo. The former hockey player in me combined with the cowboy in me speaks to that.

"Friend" is Megan's. She's a 17H RCMP bred Hanoverian. We were blessed to pick her up at the 2013 RCMP auction in Ottawa for what we consider an absolute steal. She 6yo, and kind like a 16yo. Megan is learning to ride, but would like to try jumping her eventually. Strange name, you say...... us too..... The RCMP has a contest with school kids every years to name their foals. Every year has a letter - 2008 was F. Friend, Fred, Freya, Francesca....etc, etc.... We have a Victorian style vis-a-vis carriage coming out of Oregon next May for our wedding that she'll be taught to pull as well.

Bitz is our 9yo pony. No clue what breed. Is "moody as $hit" a breed?? She's been a real sweetheart the last few months, but before that no adult could catch her - kids only. Her feet are a PITA every spring, but we love her. She's cute, and great with kids.

They are too often just grazing and not ridden enough, but again, once the damn yard is done.....

-J.

ps - don't you hate it when people use terms from another language to sound sophisticated ét cöol - ergo, vis-a-vis, quid-pro-quo (Lechter??), mea culpa??? I do too..... I had to look up vis-a-vis - it means face to face. 3 seats facing forward, 3 facing back.
    Last edited by Jer; 11-25-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    Lady Gizmo2 likes this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-20-2016 @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    I don't own horses, but I've spent a bit of time around them. I have a good friend and neighbor that has about 30 head on her farm at last count.

After seeing the amount of work she does daily to keep them fed, stalls cleaned, sheltered if not in barn, turned in, turn out, ridden, etc. I've determined no horses will live in my barn at this time. As much as I would like to have one, too much work for me right now. Maybe when my niece is old enough to help out I'll reconsider.

I do ride a bit. I help out a friend/neighbor with some tractor work, barn work, what have you and she gives me lessons and lets me ride. I enjoy it greatly, but would rather let her deal with the day to day and just help out.

One of my hobbies is also photography and I usually take pictures at the Gymkhanas she has at her farm and help out with running the show and what not as well. Her shows are for fun/training, so younger, older, novices, etc. Some pictures from last year - http://1drv.ms/1zWo2wy
    farmgirl19 and Lady Gizmo2 like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Short version of the story: we have three horses. They're pretty much my primary interest outside of work.

We have two older mares that came from a rescue, one is medically retired and the other is the better half's 'riding' horse. Been ridden about three times in the last five years or so, so basically retired as well.

I have an 8 year old paint gelding that has a regular work schedule. We've been at it about a year now, he's making improvements.
    Last edited by 56FordGuy; 11-25-2014 at 09:52 PM.
    Lady Gizmo2 likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast