• 1 Post By coaltrain
  • 2 Post By Maddog

Thread: Smart TV-dumb consumer.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks

Smart TV-dumb consumer.

OK- I go years between TV change outs. Everyone tells me to get a smart TV. OK, but then I ask why? I don't want to use my TV as a computer. But my wife tells me if we had a smart TV we could get all of our Netflix movies right into the TV on demand without having to go out to the mailbox as we do now. We're lazy & Netflix never gets here on time!

Here's what I need to know but can't seem to find the answer. If I have Netflix going directly into my TV, is the signal coming in to my TV from the Satellite service (we have dish) or is it coming in through my wireless internet connections, (we have Verizon wireless phone & internet) This is important, because if it comes in through my wireless internet connection, it will create a very large over run of the monthly usage allowance Verizon wireless allows me. I HOPE MY QUESTION IS MAKING SENSE TO SOMEONE. While I would like to have a smart TV, is it worth it for me. I have no intention to use my TV as a computer, I have no interest in hooking up to the TV all sorts of other equipment, and I don't see any advantage to the Netflix if it's going to kill my budget. So do I really need a smart TV or should I put that extra cost for a smart TV into just a regular LED TV but a larger size than the 47" Smart TV I'm looking at?
    :empathy3:

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Netflix on demand comes over the internet. It doesn't matter if it is through a "smart" TV or one of the streaming players like Roku, Chomecast, or Amazon Fire. I don't know how much bandwidth Netflix uses as my internet connection is unlimited.

Another thing about the "smart" TV - the smart part which allows internet streaming is built in. I've always been the one who opts for a separate unit vs. something built in. If the steaming part of the TV breaks, you can't replace it. With a stand alone unit just the unit can be replaced. This holds true also as new technology advances - easy to upgrade the stand alone unit - can't do that with a smart TV without replacing the whole TV.
    rgd likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Maddog (11-26-2014)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    Your Netflix would come to your TV via your internet connection.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Maddog (11-26-2014)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    The smart TV will use wifi to stream Netflix, so if you are not set up to accept large amounts of data over the internet, don't go for the smart TV.

Also the Netflix streaming service is very different than the DVD service. Most movies are available to stream. There is a pretty good streaming selection on their site, but it is nowhere near the magnitude of the DVD selection.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5304 For This Useful Post:

Maddog (11-26-2014)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    All great replies to my original post. I think I'm better off going for a nice size straight HDTV & forget about the "smart" stuff. And my nature is to keep it simple. I'm kind of an ole nuts, bolts & carb. guy. Heck, I still use pencils that are painted yellow with pink erasers on top. But now I call them "Portable hand held Communicators".
    That makes me sound like a super hi tech geek to my friends....& those wise ass grandkids of mine.
    rgd and HydroHarold like this.

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    All great replies to my original post. I think I'm better off going for a nice size straight HDTV & forget about the "smart" stuff. And my nature is to keep it simple. I'm kind of an ole nuts, bolts & carb. guy. Heck, I still use pencils that are painted yellow with pink erasers on top. But now I call them "Portable hand held Communicators".
    That makes me sound like a super hi tech geek to my friends....& those wise ass grandkids of mine.
    Ya might have a problem with that! I'm not even sure anyone makes a HDTV that isn't "Smart". Some are smarter than others but... I think they all pretty much have the software to stream video from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc... Same thing with DVD players and anything else you might attach to a TV nowadays. They might even charge you extra for a "dumb" TV!

But just because a TV has all those features, that don't mean ya have to use 'em!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    I would second getting a "dumb" HDTV. The software in Smart TV's is often laggy and slow and will rarely see updates. If you want the smart features for Netflix, Hulu and the like, Chromecast, Roku, and Fire are the best way to go. I have a Chromecast on my 2008 HDTV and love it
    --DeereNC

2025R, 62D MMM, H130 FEL, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks, Bxpanded Tooth Bar, more to come...
    Implements: Woods TS52 tiller

Stihl MS261C worked over by Mastermind Work Saws, FS45C
    Dolmar PS3410TH
    Redmax EBZ8500RH

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    The wife and I got our led TV last year. We decided not to get a smart tv. I did however get a Sony Playstation 3. It was just a little more than a standards blue ray player and I figured I would play some games on it. It was a nice surprise when I found out I could watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and YouTube on it. We upped out Internet speed and dropped all of the HD cable with all of the extra costs and have been really happy.

To stream HD content you are going want to have a very quick internet connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Thanks
    I discontinued our cable TV service on 12/31/2013, the only New Year's resolution I've ever made, let alone kept. We use a Roku 3 stand alone device to get Netflix, Hulu, YouBoob, Smithsonian Channel, TED, and numerous other channels. I haven't had an issue with Cumcrap hassling me over bandwidth usage, and I use the Roku every day.

If all you can get is a Smart TV, then do so; no one says you have to use the 'smart' part of it.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements