Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: How kids should learn

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks

How kids should learn

Farmgirl stated in another thread that she liked some of the things I have been doing to teach my daughters. First, wanted to thank her for the compliment as I hope to be doing the right things with my kids.

They will continue to learn:

How to turn wrenches on the vehicles when I am in need of a hand.
    How to steer a vehicle off-road or on my property while I am running the pedals.
    How to tighten their pattern on the target at 100 yards with their rifle.

They will learn:

How to drive with a truck that is a manual transmission (as soon as their legs are long enough).
    How to hit the target with the bow and arrows that I think they are getting for Christmas.
    How to both MIG weld and cut/braize with the Oxy-Acetylene setup.
    How to do maintenance on a vehicle like oil changes, tire rotation, etc..
    How to perform proper donuts with a rear-wheel drive vehicle in fresh snow. :D

Any other things that should be added to the list, just let me know.

Jim
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 AM
    Thanks
    Girl or boy, they should learn how to cook themselves a meal. And not Mac & Cheese out of a box!

As I grew into adulthood I was always amazed at the number of people that had no idea how to put a frying pan and a pot on the stove and actually cook something to eat. PB&J sammiches 6 nights/week is NOT living!

Bonus points if they can bake their own biscuits in a dutch oven over an open flame.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Let's not forget donuts in reverse in a front wheel drive vehicle.

How about:

Unplug a trap in a drain, glue PVC, solder a copper pipe, and replace the guts of a toilet.

Change a light switch/ electrical outlet.

Patch a hole in drywall.

What type of fire extinguisher to use on different types of fire.

How to change a furnace air filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,616 Posts
    How to change a flat tire, instead of calling AAA or someone else.
    How to cut a board with a saw, drive a nail with a hammer, even how to use a screwdriver.
    How to start a lawnmower and how to mow a lawn.

How to do laundry, sweep the floor, or even wash dishes ,male or female. When your mother is sick most of your childhood you learn real quick.
    grnspot110 and Oberhaz like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Tend a garden, prep the food and freeze or home can it.

I may have mentioned it before, but even when I was in college, I grew tomatoes and hot peppers in containers (5-20 gallon buckets), just outside my apartment. I gave a lot of those to a local mom and pop restaurant, and they would comp me a nice meal each month. I never asked for the meal, they just liked having fresh produce.

I think there is now some law that states the food can't come fresh, like that, has to come through the middle man, or can't be served at a restaurant. But, if some fresh is mixed in with the other during cooking, the cook is the only one that knows, and folks like the flavor and will never know the "secret ingredient"!

If daddy doesn't mind buying the tires, how about donuts in an old abandoned parking lot? Had one of those in my little town, when Kmart left. Was a weekly ritual for the teenagers with vehicles to meet on Friday night and do donuts on that pavement. (I'm kind of surprised those marks are not still there!) But that "reckless" driving has saved more than one of us when driving down the highway, and a tire blew out, or someone else had a car jump sideways into them going down the road. Kind of like what they claim about video games giving better hand/eye coordination, except this makes your reflexes good, and gives you the ability to react without thinking, with skids, or other "out of control" situations. Of course, when my daddy found out, he nixed the weekly fun, because he DIDN'T want to buy the tires!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

8. Top | #6
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    Let's not forget donuts in reverse in a front wheel drive vehicle.

How about:

Unplug a trap in a drain, glue PVC, solder a copper pipe, and replace the guts of a toilet.

Change a light switch/ electrical outlet.

Patch a hole in drywall.

What type of fire extinguisher to use on different types of fire.

How to change a furnace air filter.

I really like those suggestions...

I find so many people,even old adults that haven't a clue there is a filter in their furnace/ac's. They call me because its icing up,etc. They be like " Wha ? What you talkin' 'bout Willis?" I've even been on calls where the only thing wrong was the thermostat was in the "off" position...I wonder if these people know about toilet paper....

I've tried showing guys how to solder and braze copper...and what the difference is. Some can pick up on it, some don't. But....mi esposa and children can. (all in their late thirties now) I will be teaching my grandson how to shortly. His dad (my son-in-law) has shown him how to stick weld...and raise cattle. My granddaughter's first vehicle is a 1/2 ton dodge with manual shift (Her mom 's was a little ford Ranger, manual shift)....she's still learning and has no concept of speed in turns. So , if anyone passes though Mt Pleasant Tx...look out for a white dodge 1/2 ton
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Change a heating element in an electric water heater.
    etcallhome, rgd and Oberhaz like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    How to parallel park with the use of excess throttle.

Jim
    etcallhome, DRobinson, rgd and 2 others like this.
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Is parallel parking even required on a driving test, these days? Yes, they should know how, BOTH ways!
    etcallhome and CyberShanks like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    How about the proper technique to counter a skid or slide on a road when driving a vehicle. Other than proper speed for conditions of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, rgd and Oberhaz like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast