Craigslist firewood, may the ripoffs begin!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Craigslist firewood, may the ripoffs begin!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks

Craigslist firewood, may the ripoffs begin!

I always chuckle at firewood on CL. I have never seen a true cord offered.

Today we have a pile 2x4x8 for only $200 because he's moving. Billed as a bargain due to seller moving, but he wants about double price.

Another ad, $80 per wheelbarrow load? Best be one big wheelbarrow!

Unsplit Pine rounds for more than Oak?

Face cords?, rick racks? What the heck is that?

Guys claiming they can get 3 cords on a small dump? yeah right,,,

"mostly pine, spread around the yard? OK, he just wants free landscaping.

"free tree" You only need to cut it down and be licensed insured? Another who wants free landscaping.

Guys who are "taking bids" on their standing 60' Oak tree in a bad spot. I will remove it for $400, you pay me.

Or, free tree, you must saw it, then wheelbarrow it up hill, through the gate to the road. These ads run for months, nobody willing to take these great offers.

It is a dead tree, a liability in many cases, not a retirement fund.

My neighbor wanted cheap wood. He had some clown come cut down 2 nice Oaks in his front yard. Well, they dropped it across the phone lines, broke off the pole, it landed right in the road. Lucky no one was killed. Once he paid the phone co for their pole I figure he paid about $2,000.00 per cord. and now has 2 ugly stumps where he had 2 nice shade trees, which will grow back,,, in about 50-100 years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    Might be a dumb question but isn't a cord basically a full size long bed truck full of wood?
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    Pretty much. A cord being 4'X4'X8' which is 128 cubic feet. The old saying is, " stacked so tight a mouse cant run through it"

Some guys stack it criss-crossed, those buyers are getting a lot of air for their money. It must be stacked paralell.

I do the math, some of these guys are around $500 per cord. Oak runs about $200-300 a "cord" here, but true cords would likely be a lil higher. Landscape businesses often offer true cords while CL sellers vary greatly.

And "seasoned wood" at 8 months? It needs another year.

Today I am burning Oak I split and stacked inside 6 years ago. I now say 2 years or more to dry. 1 year is only half dry IMO.

I am spoiled, I get free wood next door where my friend let's me take a few dead Red Oaks every year. I have never purchased wood. My Artillian forks save me tons of time and work when logging.

May saw some 40" diameter Chestnut Oak soon. It is free, but at that size free is all I will pay. Widow makers @ 40" dia, crazy heavy.
    Last edited by Bigger-digger 2320; 12-10-2014 at 05:59 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigger-digger 2320 For This Useful Post:

Superglidesport (12-11-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    A full size, 8ft pick up bed holds about 1/2 a cord, when piled to capacity.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    4' high X 4' wide X 8' long is the correct answer, for those who aren't sure.
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    That's how I judge it also - and how my firewood guy does it. I took the dimensions of my wood shed and calculated that it holds 3.5 cord under the roof. Basically just to keep him honest that is how I check.

Here's what we usually start the winter with - that was when we were still burning wood.

Untitled by sterling2424, on Flickr

Now that we can't handle the firewood anymore, we still maintain the actual wood shed full for power outages in the winter.

I always laugh when I see this - one mini mart we stop at sometimes has those little bundles of firewood for sale - about 6-8 split pieces for $5.99!

~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Guys around here love to sell $30 stacks out of their front yard, it's crazy.

On the flip side of people wanting trees gone for free, the firewood sellers don't really want to work for their wood. We had two nice big oaks get taken down in the 2011 tornado. Access to the trees were very easy, drive right up to them. I put them on craigslist for "free" all that I ask is to clean up the limbs and such, can even burn them in my burn pile. I'd take care of the stumps.

Every single person that contacted me said they would get the trees but I'd have to clean up the mess, some even wanted me to cut the trees up in more manageable sections. One even asked if I had a way to split it and he'd be more than happy to come get it. All used the excuse, there just isn't a lot of money in firewood, yet they were all in the business.
    etcallhome, farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigger-digger 2320 View Post
    I always chuckle at firewood on CL. I have never seen a true cord offered.

Today we have a pile 2x4x8 for only $200 because he's moving. Billed as a bargain due to seller moving, but he wants about double price.

Another ad, $80 per wheelbarrow load? Best be one big wheelbarrow!

Unsplit Pine rounds for more than Oak?

Face cords?, rick racks? What the heck is that?

Guys claiming they can get 3 cords on a small dump? yeah right,,,

"mostly pine, spread around the yard? OK, he just wants free landscaping.

"free tree" You only need to cut it down and be licensed insured? Another who wants free landscaping.

Guys who are "taking bids" on their standing 60' Oak tree in a bad spot. I will remove it for $400, you pay me.
    Or, free tree, you must saw it, then wheelbarrow it up hill, through the gate to the road. These ads run for months, nobody willing to take these great offers.

It is a dead tree, a liability in many cases, not a retirement fund.

My neighbor wanted cheap wood. He had some clown come cut down 2 nice Oaks in his front yard. Well, they dropped it across the phone lines, broke off the pole, it landed right in the road. Lucky no one was killed. Once he paid the phone co for their pole I figure he paid about $2,000.00 per cord. and now has 2 ugly stumps where he had 2 nice shade trees, which will grow back,,, in about 50-100 years.
    I had an 80 foot Cottonwood, about 48" in diameter and "in a bad place" taken down and it cost me $1400. It took the guy 3 days; he cut it up in fire place sized lengths, hauled some of the big stuff off and some guy came and got the rest "for free". The $1400 was the lowest bid (well, the lowest from someone I thought was trustworthy) I got; the highest was $3500. So $400? You work cheap. I have another similar Cottonwood in my front yard that I'm taking down...when I get another $1400.

One guy came by in a '76 Olds with a 14 foot ladder who offered to cut it down for $750, but when I asked him about insurance, he said "Don't you have insurance?". I hired another guy to take down a couple of Pines that were dying; he was "out of gas" and wanted paid after 4 hours work. I found out there was more to that story when I checked the D.O.C. records. In any case, I have $100 for anyone willing to take out the two stumps. If I wait long enough, someone will be around, pulling a trailer with a stump grinder and knocking on my door.

I pay $170 a cord for split Oak, delivered and stacked. First I bought in about 3 or 4 years was last year; the stuff I cleaned up from the big wind storm lasted me quite a while.
    Have wings, will travel.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    We have enough wind storms around here that I don't pay for wood, ever. After a storm there are plenty of "free firewood" ads that pop up and I have no problems doing a little clean-up work to get it.
    etcallhome, farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    I am sure there are plenty of horror stories about cutting/selling firewood. I don't want to spend my time cutting, splitting moving, stacking, selling firewood. I also don't want to monitor strangers cutting wood on my property, so I give the wood to a few trusted friends that I let cut and haul for their own use, not resale.
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast