Like Tree26Likes

Thread: This Weather Cracks Me Up!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 637 Posts

This Weather Cracks Me Up!

It's that time of the year again when my hands start looking like I've been arm-wrestling bobcats. It starts out slow. I get a crack in a finger or thumb. Next, it's my knuckles. Pretty soon, I can't stick a hand in a pocket without leaving a blood trail. I fill the cracks with New Skin every few days until they close up, but they almost always open back up just before they completely heal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thumb.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	36737

I've tried quite a few different lotions. My go-to remedy at the time is Corn Husker's Lotion as it doesn't smell awful bad and doesn't leave a greasy film behind. Unfortunately, it isn't a miracle cure either. It helps the knuckles but doesn't seem to do anything for the fingers.

I've tried Bag Balm as it was recommended by a farmer friend. Shaking my friends hand in the winter is like shaking hands with a cactus so I didn't have much hope that his recommendation would be of help. And how is bag ointment supposed to help my hands anyways? It was a nice feeling, but not what I was looking for.

I've tried a few of my wife's and daughter's lotions but they are always too greasy and perfumed. I don't want to smell like a woman. I just want the smooth hands of one.

I admit to having tried the urine treatment. My wife put an end to that after she discovered it was me and not my young son who was making a mess of the bathroom. I still try it every once in a while, mostly when I've been over-served and grab a two-fingered handle with a four-fingered grip.

Being serious now. Anyone have a recommendation of a lotion, cure or family remedy that works for chapped and cracked hands? I really don't want to smell pretty or sleep with my hands swaddled in cloth, but otherwise, I'm open to suggestions.

If you haven't got a suggestion, show me your crack. Misery loves company.
    - Phil -
    *Spinner Free* LT160 Garden Tractor
    *Spinner Free* 3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    *Spinner Free* John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts

Red face

I've dealt with the same issue. The best results I've had were using udder balm for cattle, but it's not a great fix. I usually end up using store brand neosporin as lotion before the winter ends, and heal up in the spring.
    OxPath likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 973 Posts
    Luckily in our house, cracked skin isn't much of a problem. But dry chapped skin is. We use a variety of lotions. I use the newer, manly smelling stuff by lubriderm or the like. My youngest get dry, eczema like skin on the backs of his hands. We have a prescription ointment we apply. That when used in combination with Eucerin Eczema Relief lotion does wonders. We are big fans of Eucerin products, maybe they have a cracked skin product. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OxPath likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands cream. It does well on my hands. For really bad case of dry and cracking skin, I put it on right before going to bed and cover my hand with a sock. This prevents you from rubbing it off all over your bed and keeps it on your hand where it's needed. I can't use much of any creams during the day because I wash my hands so often.

- Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands cream. It does well on my hands. For really bad case of dry and cracking skin, I put it on right before going to bed and cover my hand with a sock. This prevents you from rubbing it off all over your bed and keeps it on your hand where it's needed. I can't use much of any creams during the day because I wash my hands so often.

Ditto! Same product and treatment. Usually in Winter I start getting cracks around my thumbnails and the sides and tips of my index fingers. As I've gotten older I've started using Lubriderm lotion on my hands every morning and before putting on work gloves. I also try to use lighter weight Mechanix gloves or surgical gloves when using tools.
    DRobinson and OxPath like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post

Thanks for the link! I just put it in my cart and will be giving it a try along with anything else that pops up here.
    - Phil -
    *Spinner Free* 3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    *Spinner Free* John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    Luckily in our house, cracked skin isn't much of a problem. But dry chapped skin is. We use a variety of lotions. I use the newer, manly smelling stuff by lubriderm or the like. My youngest get dry, eczema like skin on the backs of his hands. We have a prescription ointment we apply. That when used in combination with Eucerin Eczema Relief lotion does wonders. We are big fans of Eucerin products, maybe they have a cracked skin product. Good luck
    I just looked at the Eucerin products. They make Aquaphor! That's the best burn and sunburn ointment I've used; on myself and on the kids when they were growing up. I never tried it on my hands but since I have it in stock, I'm going to go and do so right now.

Edit: I sadly report that the Aquaphor is too greasy for me. I immediately washed it off the palms of my hands, but left it on the backs.
    Last edited by OxPath; 12-14-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    - Phil -

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,074 Times in 2,540 Posts
    Here is what I use, I suffer sever cracking also since I work outside a lot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418572081.271955.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	36747

OxPath likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Here is what I use, I suffer sever cracking also since I work outside a lot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418572081.271955.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	36747

Added to my Amazon cart. I'm going to have to get a new medicine cabinet just for hand creams. Maybe I'll do a hand cream review at the end of the season.
    ColonyPark and Levi like this.
    - Phil -

12. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    Added to my Amazon cart. I'm going to have to get a new medicine cabinet just for hand creams. Maybe I'll do a hand cream review at the end of the season.
    That's a great idea.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast