Winter has arrived. What do you like to do to be ready?
Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By 636mullet
  • 2 Post By JimR
  • 2 Post By coaltrain
  • 4 Post By HydroHarold
  • 3 Post By Bill Berger
  • 3 Post By blue87fj60
  • 3 Post By dzldanz
  • 1 Post By coaltrain

Thread: Winter has arrived. What do you like to do to be ready?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks

Winter has arrived. What do you like to do to be ready?

With the temps in the single digits a lot I thought I'd start a thread to help share ideas for being ready incase something happens.

I like to keep an extra case of water in the fridge in the basement beings we are on a well.
    We have a ventless gas heater in the basement. I also like to keep a decent amount of firewood on hand.
    In our basement I have 120 gallon African Cichlid tank so I bought a small Honda EU2000I generator to power the pump and heaters.
    My wife likes candles so we have bunches of them all over the house for extra light and a little heat.
    Once in a while woot.com runs a deal on batteries so I have enough to run my collection of LED flashlights for a month.
    Also have a Weber Q1000 grill and a package of gas cans for it so I can make food.
    Also have a gas stove so we can use that to make warm drinks.
    There are probably 15 lighters of different types around my house as well and a couple cans of refill gas.
    We also have an 80 pound Lap Lab for heat.

So what about you?

BigJim55 likes this.
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    I've pretty much incorporated my "ready" routine into normal everyday living. Instead of just having one propane tank for the grill I have 4. And when one is empty I refill it so there is always plenty of propane on hand. Same with the gas can. I have 2 5-gallon cans. They get used for the mower, etc... but they get refilled regularly.

My camping supplies takes care of most of the rest of it. I have an RV with a full kitchen/bath in it and heat and a portable generator. The house has a pellet stove for main heat and a ton of pellets in the garage at all times. I also have a wood stove in the basement and a full wood shed every fall. And I can run the house off of the generator if need be too. And I have enough fuel for the chainsaw and the tractor to get through the winter.

We use bottled water for drinking in the house on a routine basis so I have 5 5-gallon carboys on hand.

The only thing I have gotten in the habit of doing "just for winter" is I buy a case or two of canned soups/stews as an emergency backup. Everything else is pretty much just there as a normal course of living.
    636mullet and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    We've always been prepared for winter. In fact around here summer is spent getting ready for winter.

We have an inventory of food that equates to around 3-4 months worth at all times. When an item is used from the shelf it goes on the list and replaced at the next grocery run.
    Water - we have a spring that feeds the house that is 20' from the front porch.
    Light - have high pressure gas lamp plus a couple Aladdin lamps.
    Heat - wood stove with at least 3 cord of firewood as backup.
    Cooking - being we have an electric stove, we use a Coleman propane camping stove. Always have at least 2 full 20# propane tanks.
    Tools - quite a variety of hand tools for any repairs needed.

We lived off-grid for 6 years before moving to this place. We kept most of the things we used then. When the power goes off it hardly affects us at all even for extended periods.

And if I need my tractor I always have at least 500 gallons of fuel depending on the time of year. Get my 1000 gal underground tank and 150 gallon farm tank filled each summer. Can also use that for transportation if needed in the VW TDI.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM....

Spam is "The Magical Meat"! One can cook it over any heat source, stove, propane torch, O/A cutter, burning tire (turf), brush pile, warm foundry molds... Spam is also one of the best "Exhaust Manifold Meals" you'll ever have! The options are endless and there's no messy pans to wash!
    Last edited by HydroHarold; 01-06-2015 at 11:23 PM.
    Gizmo2, 636mullet, Jeff R. and 1 others like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    Having a round trip ticket in hand for Hawaii, with the return flight being 5 mos. after the departure flight.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 636mullet like this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 AM
    Thanks
    I'm far from off grid but always have a backup plan.
    Sandy and the noreaster two weeks later really hammered that home.
    Got plenty of wood, 4 cases of MRE's, Bobcat 250 gen, ect.
    Right now i'm off work so i am cutting a 1025R bucket load of standing dead oak to burn every few days to keep my other 3 cord in limbo.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    04-18-2019 @ 07:01 AM
    Thanks
    Just like Coaltrain,
    During the summer months we prepare for the winter. The city plows are being gone over from one end to the other.
    As for myself I depend on our automatic 20KW standby generator (natural gas)
    Current: 3320 HST cab with 59" front blower, Hydraulic chute deflector, Vertical Exhaust, Front Fenders,
    Grooved and loaded Front and Rear R-4's
    External Mirrors, Jensen Bluetooth Radio / Headset. Front Hydraulics
    Whelen warning lights, JD366 front blade
    Gone: X595 with heated cozy cab,stainless vertical exhaust

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dzldanz View Post
    Just like Coaltrain,
    During the summer months we prepare for the winter. The city plows are being gone over from one end to the other.
    As for myself I depend on our automatic 20KW standby generator (natural gas)
    GENERAC brand?
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    I don't depend on a generator. This thread is about being ready for winter, but I take it a bit farther than that - being prepared for a situation (which is a subject for another topic) where there are long term problems like no electricity for months, no fuel for trucks to deliver food to stores, and stuff like that. So everything I have for preparations only depends on a little kerosene and propane which stores well. After living off-grid for years has taught me alot.
    HydroHarold likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    04-18-2019 @ 07:01 AM
    Thanks
    GENERAC brand?

Yes, Generac. Tried to get a Cummins Onan at installation time but they were backed up with orders.
    Starts fine at -30C.; (heated battery, synthetic oil)
    Current: 3320 HST cab with 59" front blower, Hydraulic chute deflector, Vertical Exhaust, Front Fenders,
    Grooved and loaded Front and Rear R-4's
    External Mirrors, Jensen Bluetooth Radio / Headset. Front Hydraulics
    Whelen warning lights, JD366 front blade
    Gone: X595 with heated cozy cab,stainless vertical exhaust

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements