Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49
Like Tree453Likes

Thread: Movies, Movies, Movies

1. Top | #481
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Thanks

Ironweed

Watched Ironweed last night, with Jack Nicholson, Meryl Streep and Carol Baker. Great cast; Streep at her best. I found it to be a riveting movie; watched it all the way through, but you had to pay attention to put it all together. It was a haunting movie that overall told a story of down-and-out homelessness during the depression and did it in a very convincing manner. Thought the "ghosts" scenes were a bit cheezy, but overall I give it an 8 out of 10 because the characters and their plight was so believable. And Trump was wrong...Streep is a superb actor.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...757-story.html
    Have wings, will travel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #482

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    Watched Ironweed (1987) last night, with Jack Nicholson, Meryl Streep and Carol Baker.
    Haven't heard of this one. Let's see, I generally avoid Nicholson movies because, to me, Nicholson just shows up as Nicholson instead of the character. Exceptions: loved him in Witches of Eastwich (1987), Terms of Endearment (1983), and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975). Don't normally watch flicks dealing with Depression sadness and not usually into hauntings. Do like Streep though. For some odd reason, this sounds like a film that I'd want to watch. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Last edited by dianedebuda; 03-29-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    ChrisR likes this.

4. Top | #483
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    Haven't heard of this one. Let's see, I generally avoid Nicholson movies because, to me, Nicholson just shows up as Nicholson instead of the character. Exceptions: loved him in Witches of Eastwich (1987), Terms of Endearment (1983), and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975). Don't normally watch flicks dealing with Depression sadness and not usually into hauntings. Do like Streep though. For some odd reason, this sounds like a film that I'd want to watch. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Not a musical, but there are several episodes that you might like. Streep sings a song, and quite well (I don't think it was dubbed), and a nice piano solo (don't think she was actually playing) and then there's Fred Gwynne who has (had...RIP) a wonderful voice.
    Have wings, will travel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #484
    Last Online
    Thanks

Bounty Hunter

Tried to watch The Bounty Hunter with Jennifer Anniston last night; it was so hokey all I could stand was about 30 minutes and I bailed out. Checked the reviews this morning, and the critics crucified it.

The Bounty Hunter Movie Review (2010) | Roger Ebert
    Last edited by 2LaneCruzer; 04-03-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Have wings, will travel.

7. Top | #485
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,107 Times in 1,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    Tried to watch The Bounty Hunter with Jennifer Anniston last night; it was so hokey all I could stand was about 30 minutes and I bailed out. Checked the reviews this morning, and the critics crucified it.

The Bounty Hunter Movie Review (2010) | Roger Ebert
    It was painfully poor.....Jennifer Anniston is very lucky she had the role of Rachel in Friends to launch her career and to establish an income for the rest of her life. That seems to be the only character and role really to fit her. I think being one of many characters in a sitcom is vastly different than being a starring actor or actress. Perhaps her in bits and pieces, as part of an overall story is the key, instead of her in a leading role.

Her roles are usually similar and she never seems to try something out of her "character" of a ditzy attractive female. Maybe its because that isn't acting and is really her..........She remains the never ending focus of the check out lane tabloids and I think that is by design and not chance.
    mjncad likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #486
    Last Online
    Thanks

NetFlix

Getting settled in with Netflix; watched three movies within the last week; best of the three was Doubt with Meryl Streep...who plays a nun at a Catholic school who suspects the Priest, Philip Seymour Hoffman, of molesting one or more of the students. It is a bit slow moving at first, but it gives your intellect a good work out. Superlative acting. I rate it very good.

The second is Texas Rangers, a good old Western where the good guys have their bad sides, and the bad guys are really bad. I rate it good.

The third, was one called Only Mine. A story about a young girl who gets mixed up with a psycho, who stalks her, shoots her and leaves her for dead. It's a fair movie, but it's watchable all the way through.

I am watching a documentary entitled The Staircase, about a writer named Michael Peterson who is accused of murdering his wife, who he claims fell down the staircase of their home. It's waaaaay too long, maybe 6 hours or so, but I got interested and have seen it all but the last segment. Its a bit draggy in places, but I was enthralled by his legal defense and what seemed to be the rather poor case put on by the prosecution.
    Last edited by 2LaneCruzer; 04-14-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    Have wings, will travel.

9. Top | #487

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    Had mentioned this movie on this thread before...

------------------

Some of Levi's comments about conversations with God a couple of days ago reminded me of a Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee) movie, Almost An Angel (2013) that I really like. God (Charleton Heston cameo) calls criminal Hogan a scumbag before returning him to Earth for redemption. Sappy, yes, but many humorous situations. Surprised to see it's on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zR2rq2h1QY currently.
    Last edited by dianedebuda; 04-15-2019 at 02:10 PM.

10. Top | #488
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    Had mentioned this movie on this thread before...

------------------

Some of Levi's comments about conversations with God a couple of days ago reminded me of a Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee) movie, Almost An Angel (2013) that I really like. God (Charleton Heston cameo) calls criminal Hogan a scumbag before returning him to Earth for redemption. Sappy, yes, but many humorous situations. Surprised to see it's on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zR2rq2h1QY currently.
    Watched the trailer, and even the trailer was funny...the remark about Elvis cracked me up. Think I'll see if I can find it "on demand". I think Sharn Jean would like it...although his brogue is a bit hard for me to understand most of the time.
    Have wings, will travel.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49