Movies, Movies, Movies - Page 51
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: Movies, Movies, Movies

1. Top | #501
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Thanks
    Growing up a military brat in Germany shortly after WWII and knowing a large number of German and American soldiers over the years I have this fascination with the war. Recently I saw a movie that I thought was fairly good and did depict much of what veterans of both sides have told me. The movie is in German but my Deutsche isn't horrible so I can still understand most of it without subtitles. The movie is "My Honor was Loyalty" or Liebstandarte. My Honor is loyalty was an expression used by the SS often.

mark02tj and spferdil like this.
    Id est, quo id est.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #502

Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Thanks
    THANKS, Logictox! I added that (along with a couple of others) to my NetFlix watch list.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Top | #503
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Logictox View Post
    Growing up a military brat in Germany shortly after WWII and knowing a large number of German and American soldiers over the years I have this fascination with the war. Recently I saw a movie that I thought was fairly good and did depict much of what veterans of both sides have told me. The movie is in German but my Deutsche isn't horrible so I can still understand most of it without subtitles. The movie is "My Honor was Loyalty" or Liebstandarte. My Honor is loyalty was an expression used by the SS often.

I also have been interested in WWII, in particular the question of Hitler, the German people and how one of the most advanced nations on earth could have perpetrated the Holocaust. I have read extensively, including "The Rise and fall of the Third Reich'. Is this movie historically correct? I'll watch it any way! Thanks!
    mjncad likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #504
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    I also have been interested in WWII, in particular the question of Hitler, the German people and how one of the most advanced nations on earth could have perpetrated the Holocaust. I have read extensively, including "The Rise and fall of the Third Reich'. Is this movie historically correct? I'll watch it any way! Thanks!
    The movie has very little to do with the holocaust but it does mention the Jews in the movie and some of the issues some soldiers had. It is historically correct and follows an SS unit from the retreat in Russia to the west wall where they encountered the US troops. I can tell you from my own interviews with soldiers including a large number of photo albums I have collected over the years that the holocaust was perpetuated by brainwashing the youth of Germany for many years. WWII didn't come about overnight. The Nazi party started a hard push in the 20's and by the early 30's they influenced so many aspects of the youths lives in Germany. They followed blindly because they knew nothing else. Just some of the many artifacts I have collected over the years. Helmets, swords, daggers, awards, photo albums and tons of packaged German ammo. I've been collecting my whole life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0148.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	703590
    mjncad and 2LaneCruzer like this.
    Id est, quo id est.

7. Top | #505

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Logictox View Post
    Not to derail the "Movies, Movies, Movies" thread, but I'm curious....

How "shortly after WWII" were you growing up over there? We lived there (Weisbaden) too as my dad (USAF) was stationed there from '68-'72. There were still a lot of scars on the landscape from the war even 23 years later. Also, many scars on the people. We "lived on the economy" and the old German lady that lived in our building was missing an arm from being wounded in the war. Her husband was in his 60's and had been a soldier during the war. He was as nice as could be and loved us kids! There was another German family in our building and that guy was in his mid-40's. He was definitely a Hitler youth and was still upset that German had lost the war. He wasn't too crazy about Americans living in his building.

I took art lessons from a young German lady that was probably in her late 20's or early 30's at the time (hard for an 8 year old kid to judge ages!). Of course, as a boy, I wanted to paint things like army tanks. I remember her commenting about how bad the fascination for tools of war that American kids had versus young German kids. She said that if we'd lived through the war that we wouldn't want to paint things like that.

My aunt (Dad's sister in law) was born in the eastern part of Germany in 1938. Her dad was in the German army. After the war, they were in the Russian controlled part of the country. She said that the Russians were brutal to those people as retaliation for what Hitler had done to the Russian people. They managed to make it to Berlin and then were able to sneak into West Berlin in the early 50's. From there, they were able to fly out of Berlin and then managed to board the USS United States to come to the USA in the mid-50's. They arrived in New Jersey when she was in 8th grade - not speaking a word of English. She and her twin sister managed to graduate with honors from their high school.

Sorry for the detour from "Movies, Movies, Movies".
    mjncad likes this.
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. Top | #506
    Last Online
    Thanks
    While you lived in Weisbaden I was at Ramstein during the same period of time. Of course that was my third of 4 trips total to Germany. I made the first trip with my family in 1960 while housing was still very scarce and we lived on the second floor of a former German soldiers home named Freidiland Brauer. He had 7 daughters and no sons so me being the blonde hair blue eyed young American he quickly adopted me and Freidiland and I remained friends until he passed away in 1999. He was shot in Kosovo in 1942 and had a peg leg as a result. He often commented that if he knew the Russian that shot him he would send him a Christmas card every year as most of his unit was wiped out in 1944. My father was Army air corp and made the transition to Air Force at the end of the war. He spoke fluent German and loved the people and country so of his 28 military years we went to Germany every chance he got.

On the east Germans you are correct, the Russians were absolutely brutal to both the Germans, the Pols and the Jews. Many slave laborers that were liberated by the Russians were immediately put to work for the Russians or locked away in Russian camps. Below is a photo of myself and my brother taken at Verdun in 1960, I'm the short guy on the left.

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	703616
    Id est, quo id est.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Logictox For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (09-05-2019)

10. Top | #507

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Not to derail the "Movies, Movies, Movies" thread,
    Hey, I'm the OP and have been too busy to watch anything the last few months. You and 2Lane help by bumping up the thread so I won't have to look for it later. And almost every other thread takes side steps, so why not? BTW, my hubby was stationed in Weisbaden too.
    mark02tj and Logictox like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dianedebuda For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (09-05-2019)

12. Top | #508

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    Hey, I'm the OP and have been too busy to watch anything the last few months. You and 2Lane help by bumping up the thread so I won't have to look for it later. And almost every other thread takes side steps, so why not? BTW, my hubby was stationed in Weisbaden too.
    That's pretty cool, Diane! When was he stationed there? Dad actually worked at "Lindsey Air Station" in Weisbaden. Mom started working as a civilian at Weisbaden AFB sometime around 1970.

A few pics for you...

The old gentleman in the trailer was "Uncle Ernst". He was the older man that I mentioned that was "drafted" into the German army. I'm the little guy with my feet hanging out. The other kid is my brother who's 4 years older. Not sure who that was driving the tractor. The house we lived in was owned by the "Hotel Rose" in Weisbaden. It's still in operation today. Along with the house was the orchard that we were driving into. Across the street was vegetable gardens and greenhouse. A lot of the produce used by the hotel was grown on the property we lived on. Ernst, his wife (missing the arm) and his sister all worked in the orchards and garden for the hotel. My brother and I used to play in the orchard. We found a lot of old ammo one day which Dad ended up taking into the MP's for disposal. Used to find things like belt buckles too.

Name:	004655-R1-42-43.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	703626

Here's the house. The hotel manager (Herr Dobe - the mean Nazi) lived in the top floor with his wife and three kids. When we first moved there, we lived on the second floor, but moved to the first floor (which had a nice attached terrace) a year or so later. At that point, another American family that Dad knew from Randolph AFB moved into the second floor. Ernst and family lived in the little annex on the left of the building. There was also a cellar where they stored all the produce.

Name:	004655-R1-43-44.jpg 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	703630

This must have been when we visited Berlin.

Name:	004655-R1-32-33.jpg 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	703634

Great memories of Germany - but all from the perspective of a little kid. I remember a ton of stuff from Weisbaden - a castle within walking distance of our house, a train that went up and down the mountain using the weight of water, cruises on the Rhine, etc. We had to move into base housing in 71/72 after the Hotel Rose sold the property to a developer. We moved into Heinerberg on 33 Mississippi Str, Apt. B. That's our apartment on the ground floor. Interestingly, there were classrooms in the basement of some of the apartment buildings. That's what the square windows are along the ground level. That was my 4th grade classroom. Miss Ina Jensen was my teacher.

Name:	004655-R1-63-64.jpg 
Size:	757.9 KB 
ID:	703636
    Last edited by mark02tj; 09-05-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

13. Top | #509

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    Watched a documentary recently entitled I am Patrick Swayze. It was a good watch if you are a Swayze fan. It mentioned a movie he made in 1983; The Outsiders. I have heard of this move off and on for several years, and recalling that it supposedly took place in Oklahoma in the 1960's and was filmed here, I decided to watch it when very fortuitously, came on a couple nights ago.

I'll have to say that although I stuck it out to the bitter end, I was unimpressed by the story line, the script and the character development. The whole thing seemed very contrived. The characters, to me any way, were not very believable, even with the all star cast. The kids I knew simply didn't talk that way or relate to each other that way, the "Greasers" especially. I worked in the "bad" part of OKC in the late 50's, and believe me, some of those characters you didn't want to mess with.

Although it is watchable, best I can do is give it a 4 out of 10.
    My parents were both voracious readers and my brothers and I followed suite when we were quite young.
    I was years ahead of my classmates in any literature studies and usually read any required book assignments in two days.
    The Outsiders was one such book.
    The story seemed constructed for made to order class assignments as I felt the target audience were teenagers and it had the trappings of the lessons of gang membership = bad, individualism = good.
    I really didn't enjoy it at all and unfortunately in class it took forever for the rest of the class to read it and the teacher to finally end the related discussions and essays.
    I would not even have entertained viewing in film format after already being forced to endure it.
    2LaneCruzer and mark02tj like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

14. Top | #510

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:19 PM
    Thanks
    mark02tj: Just remembered that he was at an Army base in Bad Kreuznach, not Weisbaden, in the mid 60s - years before I knew him. But Weisbaden seems familiar, so maybe we stopped there in the 70s?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I would not even have entertained viewing in film format after already being forced to endure it.
    Seems like there was a LOT of those in required HS reading that I classify the same way. No way I'll ever sit for a Steinbeck-base movie.
    Last edited by dianedebuda; 09-06-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    mark02tj and Jeff B like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51