Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree453Likes

Thread: Movies, Movies, Movies

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks

Movies, Movies, Movies

I posted a Gear Grinder http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ml#post3001106 that had a few replies - one suggesting a thread for movies, so here 'tis.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    You must have all the classics then? What, may I ask, are your top favorite movies of all time? Would a thread interest you whereby we all volunteer our favorites?
    Far from all, but really don't have very many movies made in the last 10 years. Have very few commercial DVDs. My collection is mostly from capturing broadcasts and is heavily skewed to TCM. I'm a sucker for musicals - until the advent of Rock. Have some of those too, but mostly not my taste in music. There's definitely a subset where I haven't thought highly of the movie content, but love the score.

Then I recommend "Miss Potter". Its the fictionalized story of Beatrix Potter, the creator of "Peter Rabbit". Miss Zellweger is very convincing in the part of Beatrix; the story is veddy veddy English, Victorian era, and a bit slow on the take off, but all in all a very delightful film, a touching love story, beautifully acted. I normally would not have even watched 10 minutes of it, but something caught my attention and I watched it all the way to the end.
    Will keep an eye out for it. I'm not much into YouTube mostly because the image quality is often disappointing. (I watch on a 65" TV; hubby watches on a projector with a screen that's about 12 ft wide.) And currently my web machine crashes a lot. I have another that I should switch to, but just not motivated enough yet.

[movie list]
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre: OK
    The Quiet Man: A favorite
    The Shootist: OK
    Primal Fear: in my library, but think it must be one that hubby watched & I did not. Sounds like my kind of movie.

Quote Originally Posted by pappa View Post
    Not a Cujo or Old Yeller fan?
    Actually liked Old Yeller even though it's not a genre I frequent. Not much into horror which is strange considering that I have a large, well-read collection of Stephen King & Dean Koontz novels.

Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Flawed characters (e.g. Dr. Gregory House, Alan Shore, Raymond Reddington) can be far more fascinating than the good guys; but I could only watch 15-minutes of Glengarry Glen Ross before turning it off from boredom. The same thing happened when I tried to watch This is Spinal Tap and Brazil.
    I watched the last few seasons of House regularly. Raymond Reddington is a current favorite, but I will admit that I was almost ready to jump ship during that baby-oriented season. Too much baby, not enough Red! Thought Spinal Tap was OK even with the music genre. Brazil doesn't sound like it'd be a movie that I'd enjoy either.
    2LaneCruzer and BigJim55 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    And SB deserves a separate post.

Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    The depths of the characters and the individual actors ability to play the role's so convincingly are part of what I think makes that a classic and very well scripted and acted movie. Plus the casting of actors in those roles is something you rarely see with that many "big Stars" in one motion picture, together. Prior to "Glengarry, Glen Ross", the last picture which I thought was well done and brought together so many big names was either version of "Twelve Angry Men". Both of those were very good story's and well acted, but I preferred the 1957 original to the 1997 remake.
    Agreed that acting was first-rate with a quality cast - that's what prompted me to choose the movie in the first place. And the script was believable. But seems like critics like the grim, dark dramas many times over the well-done positive ones or comedies. That's what bugs me. 12 Angry Men (1957) is a favorite of mine.

the movie HEAT, with Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro.
    Usually avoid Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro movies because of genre. But loved DeNiro in Awakenings (1990) starring a superb Robin Williams - another actor I usually avoid IF he's in comedic role.

Another real good recent movie is "Hell or High Water", about the two brothers in Texas who take to robbing banks to pay the same bank back which was foreclosing upon their family ranch.
    It's in my library, but guess it's one that hubby watched alone. I usually capture Jeff Bridges movies.

A movie which sadly was James Gandolphini's last was "The Drop", which was also a very good movie
    Read the IMDB synopsis, but hard to say if I'd like it. My crime drama genre likes are eclectic. Took me years to get around to see The Godfather movies - a see-once-and-done experience to me. Didn't like The French Connection and avoided Gene Hackman for years until I ran across Superman and something else - then he became one of my favorites. Good thing or I'd have missed Bat 21. But I like a lot of Noir, so?

I mean when you think of Andy Griffith, you think of either Matlock or The Andy Griffith show. But, when you see the movie "A Face in the crowd", he plays a very manipulative and megalomaniac of a character that is very surprising to see him play.
    Funny, but I don't think I've ever actually seen The Andy Griffith Show or its variants. Of course I know what you're talking about. I think of him in No Time for Sergeants or Onionhead. Of course Face is in my library and I've seen it serveral times. Powerful, but not everyone is distasteful there like was in Glengarry.

I like the non violent movies as well, but I want great characters and a real story and NO RELIANCE on ridiculous special effects, computer generated nonsense, Super Heros or SciFi crap......But that's just me..............
    Agree about special effects and CGI and usually about the Super Heroes, but did like the original Iron Man and first couple Chris Reeve Superman movies. Liked the Tobey Maquire Spiderman movies, but not Spiderman: Homecoming.

I have never seen Star Wars and have no interest in it or any of the subsequent sequels.
    I liked the first 3 Star Wars, but a lot of that was the John Williams score. The 3 prequels I can hardly remember... I am more in the Star Trek camp, but there's a lot of those movies that I consider marginal.

Yes, I like other types as well such as "Driving Miss Daisy" was an excellent movie with a great friendship story. As long as the movie has a good story to tell, I enjoy it. On the other hand, one movie which comes to mind that I very much disliked was Osage County, with Merryl Streep, Julia Roberts and others. I found it very depressing and the role Merryl Streep played was too close to that of my mother in law, which gave it an automatic thumbs down in my book. Osage County was about as happy and uplifting a movie as "Leaving Las Vegas" with Nicolas Cage. I don't know how or why watching people destroy themselves with drugs or booze is somebody's idea of entertainment. It certainly isn't mine. I guess because I have seen too much of that in real life. No thanks.........
    Driving Miss Daisy: Good (and like the score)
    August: Osage County: another movie in the library that hubby watched but I have not
    Leaving Las Vegas: in the libary & pretty sure I watched it, but apparently left no impression one way or another
    Last edited by dianedebuda; 06-10-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    SulleyBear likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Thanks
    I guess I'm stranded in the past; I can't think of a movie that I've seen in the last few years that I can rave about. The gratuitous violence and vulgar language turns me off; not because I'm a prude, but because it seems so out of place. Watched an old one last night..."Payback" with Mel Gibson. Plenty of violence, but I thought it was a great movie. I still like to watch "Gone with the Wind"; "The Wizard of Oz" and "True Grit".

Musicals leave me pretty much cold; I have tried to watch "Oklahoma" several times, but it's too corny, in spite of my heritage. "Annie Get Your Gun" I liked though!

Oh, Sharn Jean conned me into going to see "Book Club" the other evening, in spite of my sworn oath to never watch any thing with Jane Fonda. It was a "chick flick", with its moments of humor, but a bit of a stretch intellectually. I guess I don't know any old broads like those in the film.
    Last edited by 2LaneCruzer; 06-10-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 AM
    Thanks
    Here's one that may be hard to find, but a very good, true story, based movie. "the straight story", starring Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek. Co-starring a 1966 JD 110. Sad, funny, but thought provoking.

tommyhawk
    2LaneCruzer and BigJim55 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyhawk View Post
    Here's one that may be hard to find, but a very good, true story, based movie. "the straight story", starring Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek. Co-starring a 1966 JD 110. Sad, funny, but thought provoking.

tommyhawk
    That is an excellent movie; interesting story and well acted. I would watch it again.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Thanks
    Great thread, getting reminded of some good flicks I'd forgotten about. I'm a big TCM fan also, don't find many new movies that do it for me. I've always been a big fan of comedies, back when there were some really funny people and it wasn't all just bathroom humor. Nothing like that being produced today.

Some of my favorite comedies:
    It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - this was a sleeper when it came out but had nearly all of the real comedians at the time in it. Still cracks me up every time I see it.

Some of the Mel Brooks movies, especially
    History of the World, Part I - always hoped there would be a Part II.
    Blazing Saddles

Airplane 1 and 2 movies.

Smokey and the Bandit 1 and 2

Caddyshack

I know, I know, my idea of what's funny is out of date but I don't care.
    pappa, ddinham, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    My humor is about as sophomoric as it gets, but "Blazing Saddles" was a bit too much.
    BigJim55, SulleyBear and Fozsey like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I guess I'm stranded in the past
    Same here. Not particularly wild about Gone With the Wind - guess it's because I don't see Scarlett as learning much; IMO, Jezebel has a similar story but is much better even though it's in B&W and doesn't have the spectacular sets. Wizard of Oz is another that just doesn't grab me, even though it is a musical.

Musicals leave me pretty much cold; I have tried to watch "Oklahoma" several times, but it's too corny, in spite of my heritage. "Annie Get Your Gun" I liked though!
    I grew up listening to Rodgers & Hammerstein and still like them, but I'll agree about the corn factor. Let's face it, most musicals are super light on story - you watch for the singing & dancing - or at least I do. My favorites change all the time but always include The Band Wagon, Silk Stockings, Singing in the Rain, Gigi, Funny Face, On the Town and most of the Fred & Ginger flicks.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhawk View Post
    I liked it too. Posted about it in GM when I viewed it in Feb http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ml#post2695457

Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - this was a sleeper when it came out but had nearly all of the real comedians at the time in it. Still cracks me up every time I see it.
    A special movie for me too because I saw it first run as a kid in the Todd-A-O theater in Chicago. Love the music and the closing credits. I have another special movie, Around the World in 80 Days (1956), that I love for the same reasons (music & closing credits) plus the spectacular scenery. The 2004 remake is totally forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    I know, I know, my idea of what's funny is out of date but I don't care.
    You're not alone there; I like them too. Didn't like Blazing Saddles when I first saw it, but it's grown on me.
    Last edited by dianedebuda; 06-10-2018 at 02:46 PM.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:39 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    I love anything hat Mel broken has done. That kinda comedy while so wrong is so funny. Mel Brooke’s has said that he couldn’t make that movie today.

A good story.

http://thewayiheardit.rsvmedia.com/e...his-isnt-funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:39 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks

Movies, Movies, Movies

I like a lot of
    Movies but don’t get the time to watch them. One thing I do love to watch that is the TV Series Timeless.

Lots of history is reviewed and it’s a decent show to watch.

Hope it gets renewed for season three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast