Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Water leak

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts

Water leak

Went over to the church this morning to check on things , found the bsmt furnace wasn't working . Temp in bsmt was 41 , we have a vent from ceiling in bsmt to give some heat to the bathroom upstairs. Found the temp upstairs in bathroom was 28 or lower. After getting furnace running decided I better go back over this afternoon and see if things was alright.
    Walked into the bsmt and seen about a 1/2" of water on parts of main area and back in the kitchen area a mess. Heard water running so go upstairs to the bathroom and found water coming out hot water line. Turned off valve did nothing, OK now need to shut off the main water line. Found the main valve in pit outside near the rear of the church. Ball valve ,we don't think, had not been turned off since water line was changed guessing 30 yrs ago. Tried at least 10 times to get valve turned off reaching as far down in this pit to reach the valve. I finally got it to turn to the left or to open it further, tried one more time to the right and thankfully got the valve to shut off.
    Had already called my neighbor , told him we had a leak , he shows up and tells me we need more help than him and me. I agreed told him I had called two other trustees and they were on there way. This was around 330-4Pm , walked in the house at 630. Emptied my shopvac 3 times and the other trustees did the same . We left both furnaces running tonight, said we would come back tomorrow morning.
    Ceiling lights are no longer in the kitchen, close to 2/3 of the drywall ceiling is down , electric range had at least a 1" of water in top and down in the oven part.
    Just need to find out which copper line burst and get it repaired then water could be turned back on.
    The one trustee ,his wife is our treasurer and she has the insurance policy , they will be contacting the insurance company and yes we did take pictures before doing anything...
    Now the fun begins......As we said we have been thankful this hadn't happen years ago. There are some weeks we don't go in the church one week to the next week.!
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks
    Since it is an unattended building, ask the insurance people if they will pay for a "wet floor" alarm. When I had my business my insurance paid for it so that if a pipe did bust, I'd find out about it before there was even more damage.
    etcallhome likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (01-15-2015)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    While you did manage to close the main valve, this time, I might suggest that once all repairs have been completed, and due to the age of the existing shut-off valve, to take time to close the valve again, bleed the system, and install a "back-up isolation valve" downstream of the original valve, (between the original valve and the building itself), in case the next maintenance person isn't as fortunate as you were.
    The only "option" I can think of off the top of my head, without having to call the Water Department to fix such an issue, would be (if the original valve wont close tight), to dig a hole big enough around the pipe just "upstream" of the bad valve, (between the original shut-off valve and the water main feeding your original valve), and pack it with dry ice real good and pack around the dry ice with sawdust.
    This will temporarily freeze the line and enable a new shut-off valve to be installed.
    Carefully remove the sawdust and dry ice afterwards, open a high-point vent in the system, and slowly open the new valve to allow service back to the system.
    Have someone stationed at the high-point vent to close it off when water reaches that part of the system.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Berger For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (01-15-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Bummer about the leak, ET. Glad you were able to get it tended to. I hope insurance covers leak, clean up and all, including a new valve and the above mentioned alarm.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (01-15-2015)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the thoughts and replies.
    About the shut off valve, it will be changed this spring or summer and at that time there will be a main shut off down stairs. The water supply is from the neighbors spring about 1/8 mile away .
    Bill Berger likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    Bummer about the burst pipe and water damage.

I hope things turn out well with the insurance company and the repairs.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfive For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (01-15-2015)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post
    Bummer about the burst pipe and water damage.

I hope things turn out well with the insurance company and the repairs.

Thanks

Oh the repairs will turn out OK , just not sure if we will coming up with the money or the insurance company will ?
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Made it back from the church about 1pm , 5 of us showed up . Found the water leak, about a 1/2" or longer slit in the side of the hot water line. Water heater was turned off so it wasn't because of the hot water but it was the closest to the outside wall . This morning being -8* we seen two places where frost was coming in and leaving in cold air ,one area was with in 10" away from the busted water line. There will be spray foam in a few locations.
    We were able to turn the Electric range on WORKS, after taking down 98-99% of the ceiling , put up some temp lighting.

Floors upstairs and downstairs are still wet to damp after running shop vac 8-10 times . Just need to wait on the insurance company .

Could have been a lot worst....
    Last edited by etcallhome; 01-10-2015 at 06:14 PM.
    farmgirl19 and BigJim55 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    Must be a bad time for leaks. My wife's step mom in Minnesota just woke up to a leak that ruined tons of drywall, floors, etc. It was a large leak in the ceiling of their small cabin. Sounds like your mess is much more extensive.
    Kevin

Diesel Fuel Lube Group Buy - Opti-Lube Diesel Fuel Additives

Bale Supply - Hay & Ranching Supplies

Green Tractor Talk - John Deere Online Community

JD Tech Talk - John Deere Blog

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Texkev For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (01-15-2015)

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Texkev View Post
    Must be a bad time for leaks. My wife's step mom in Minnesota just woke up to a leak that ruined tons of drywall, floors, etc. It was a large leak in the ceiling of their small cabin. Sounds like your mess is much more extensive.
    Sounds like your wife's step mom has the same problem, wish her luck ,because she will need all the help she can get.

This afternoon after coming home I was talking with one of the other members. We came to what we think caused all the problem, yes the furnace had quit working,. but possible main cause, since the old bathroom sink had been leaking for some time the insulation they had put around all these water lines had of course gotten wet. Well when insulation gets wet and then freezes it becomes a large ice cube and after being wet is useless for insulation.

Also decided no matter if insured or not come Monday need to empty the two rooms upstairs and pull up the carpet .
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast