Like Tree80Likes

Thread: The Flashlight thread.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks

The Flashlight thread.

Hi all.

So we got way off topic in another thread talking about duplicates of things, and everyone started talking about flashlights, mostly thanks to me.

So, Im a flashoholic. Self professed Surefire junkie.
    Not sure why I like flahslights so much, but they are fun, and you can take them anywhere. Some folks dont think of it, but they can be used for self defense too. Ever been shined in the eye with 600 lumens? Yeah, you arent going to see much of anything for a few seconds at least.

Anyway, as I mentioned there, I have SEVERAL Surefire. For me, it started when I bought my first one back around 2002-2003. It was as Surefire G2 Nitrolen. It was expensive, but man was it impressive. Back then it was 60 lumens, and back then we thought 60 lumens was some kind of bright! Now, nobody wants a flashlight that dim.
    About 8 years ago or so I thought Id branch out a bit. I bought a 4Sevens light, and liked it too. Then I bought more. And a few more, and a few more...and well, you can see where this is going.

I get people that like to poke fun about my lights, but its one of those things I dont much mind. I know its an odd thing to collect, but hey, nobody ever accused me of being normal anyway, so what the heck.

From memory, my current collection looks like this (not including the normal Maglite type stuff):
    4Sevens Quark 123x2 - I have two of these. One is an older R2 with a tighter beam and one is a newer R5 I believe, warmer tint.
    4Sevens Quark 123x2 Turbo - I have two of these also. One I bought complete, the other I got over time from getting extra parts buying used stuff, or from their clearance section.
    4Sevens Preon - I have two of these too. One is the standard 2 AAA type, the other is the one that resembles a pen a bit more with its shape. Cant recall the exact name right now
    4 Sevens Quark AAx2 - Guess what? I have 2 of these too (not sure why I end up with two of all of these) One is the standard light, the other is the X, or the higher output one
    I also have a few other frankenlights I made too from some extra heads and bodies I had, like a turbo head on a 1 CR123 body, and my favorites, the 2xAA head on a 1 AA body running a 14500 battery. Perfect size and impressive output.

Surefire. This will be a bit harder.

G2, G2 LED with the old P60 LED module, G2 LED with the newer integrated LED head, 6P LED, C2 Centurion, E1B Backup, EB1 Backup, E2L AA (latest version) Outdoorsman, LX2 Lumamax, EB2 Backup, E2DL Ultra, UM2 Ultra, M3 Combat Light (original M3), M3LT-S Combat Light (800 Lumen), M3LT Combat Light (1000 Lumen), R1 Lawman, P1R Peacekeeper, Minimus Headlamp (original), Minimus HS2 (newest), Sidekick, HL1 Helmet Light (red), HL1 Helmet Light (blue), 660 Weaponlight, X300 weaponlight, X300U weaponlight.
    Pretty sure Im forgetting something in there...

I also used to have 3 others that I sold, an M3 incan that had an odd colored head on it, newer style. My first really expensive Surefire, the 9AN Commander, and an 8AN Commander that the R1 Lawman replaced. I dont sell them anymore.
    Tomfive, Bubber, Levi and 5 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not a flashlight-a-holic but I am a fan of Coast flashlights. I have a 2 HP7's and 1 HP14.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Bubber, Levi, SulleyBear and 2 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:32 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    I don't even know what brand it is (without reading the picture), but it's very bright. I know recently I had an issue with it dimming down when using it on the high setting and since it has a lifetime warranty, I sent them an email and they gave me an address to send it to. Before I sent it, I took pictures to make sure I got the same light back.

It was gone for a couple of weeks and I heard nothing. Then it showed back up in the mail with a typed note card that said "Replaced the battery with a different brand and have had no trouble since."

The very first thing I did when the problems started was replace the battery with one which I got at the local Hardware. But the problem continued. I have since ordered batteries through Amazon to match the one they added to have as back up......Not to mention I could buy 6 from Amazon for what I paid for one defective one from the local hardware store.............

The service was appreciated and I like the warranty. This little sucker is very bright and has separate switches for on and off and high and low, which I like.

I use flashlights as a tool and really never gave them any more thought. If it works and is bright, I am happy. Guess I don't have what it takes to be a flashlight collector or even a knowledgeable flashlight consumer. Mrs. Bear bought me this one for Christmas and when I saw what she paid for it, I was a little taken aback, but it is a nice light. Don't know that I would spend that much for a flashlight ($90 I think.....).

I know there are many flashlights which are much more expensive, and if I used it for work or life and death matters, I would be more informed and educated about flashlights. Instead, I just use them to look at the wildlife and this little light is brighter than the big hand held spotlights of not long ago.............So I like it..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180517_201939486.jpg   IMG_20180517_202029889.jpg  
    Bubber, Levi, greenharley and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    I have these everywhere. Seriously, every room in the house, in the garage, barn and cars...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYbAnpIP5QhLpXFl3j6T9TCXDigSuIY6dRa3qFLwXjYwKHot_xIr6x1Luq-V_bb-_0CRRVXO9HVHSqXTzFpokrG0rNFQrxmI.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	637504

The new single led is much better than the previous one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G_GFVdWS2Gkb2nq3ae7vEKHwhJns4NqX1VhJan7h8gaZQPpO63k-bYG-B31s3GIGl8xsYU6oRqohblm0i7ElcGwBSc7A-yqv.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	637506
    Tomfive, Levi, greenharley and 1 others like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    I like flashlights, I carry one most of the time. I seem to have a lot of Streamlights, mostly. But a few Four7's too. My favorite helmet light for firefighting is the Streamlight Vantage 180. https://www.thefirestore.com/store/p...t-Vantage-180/ it would make a good work or carry light, but it lives on my helmet. I really like their Knucklehead worklight, too.

That helmet light has seen some things, and keeps on shining. The CR123 batteries used to be a pain, but they are pretty easy to find nowadays. I carry a spare set on my truck.
    Tomfive, Levi and greenharley like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Streamlight. We have 3 XL20s of different sub-models, a stinger and a super stinger. All are aircraft aluminum. The oldest one is more than 25 years old and still works. I've stuck with Streamlight because there is a warranty center about 40 miles away. They fix them while you wait and I've never been charged for anything but a battery. The oldest one has had 1 new switch and 4 bulbs.
    Tomfive, Levi and greenharley like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,900 Times in 1,066 Posts
    I have a few Maglite's. 1 D cell with no bulb and a couple of the 2 AA pen type that can be in a holster on your belt. Been looking for a bulb for the big one but for some reason they are hard to find locally. Have 1 LED light that straps to my head for when I crawl under vehicles and the tractor to do service work. I keep looking for a good light to use at night just to shine around and see what's outside. Can't justify spending a lot on a flashlight.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Indiana Jim, what would you recommend for me? For decades I have carried a 2AA Maglight that fits handily in the side pocket of the Carharts I wear at work.
    I find the small size very handy as often I have to look from behind the lamp down into cavities and cylinders.

I would desire a simple switch with no flashing and all that bs to go through every time I need to turn it on or off. Also a high degree of robustness and reliability.
    Levi, greenharley and stg454 like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Indiana Jim, what would you recommend for me? For decades I have carried a 2AA Maglight that fits handily in the side pocket of the Carharts I wear at work.
    I find the small size very handy as often I have to look from behind the lamp down into cavities and cylinders.

I would desire a simple switch with no flashing and all that bs to go through every time I need to turn it on or off. Also a high degree of robustness and reliability.
    Streamlight has a few nice models to choose from. Id stick to AA if thats what you like.
    There are some newer AAA lights that are every bit as bright or brighter, but they dont last as long.
    4Sevens was recently acquired by another company, and are putting out a new Preon. I really like mine a lot. Its a 2 AAA light, but I have yet to replace my batteries. Its a nightstand light for me, as its got 3 modes, low med hi, and low is great for moving around the house without waking anyone else up.
    The new 2AA Maglites are now LED and are pretty nice in their own right too.
    Personally, I really like my Surefire E2L AA Outdoorsman, but they quit making that line. Its a simple two mode, tailcap switch operation, so press once or click on for low, press again or click twice for hi. It always comes on in low first. Its a bit bigger than the 2 AA Maglite.
    Levi and greenharley like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

Jeff B (07-07-2018)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Thanks
    I was a Mag Lite user,, then I got the Milwaukee 18 volt LED

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-273...lt+lithium+ion

I believe that I calculated that this light can run for close to a week on one charge of a battery,,, continuously,,

Shine it at the ceiling, it will light up a room during a power outage,, we have done that,,,
    Bubber, Levi and greenharley like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast