Need some advice on You Tube movie posting, formats, programs, etc.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By meburdick
  • 2 Post By 56Nine
  • 1 Post By meburdick
  • 1 Post By Kennyd
  • 1 Post By 56Nine

Thread: Need some advice on You Tube movie posting, formats, programs, etc.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,432 Posts

Need some advice on You Tube movie posting, formats, programs, etc.

I don't know where to post this, so I will start with it in "Other" as I know many of you who can help me read this thread.

First, I just learned when I tried to download videos to You Tube that the format that my Verizon phone has recorded them in is not a format which You Tube will accept.

You tube is asking me to select a format to use and my choices are

• .MOV
    • .MPEG4
    • .MP4
    • .AVI
    • .WMV
    • .MPEGPS
    • .FLV
    • 3GPP
    • WebM
    • DNxHR
    • ProRes
    • CineForm
    • HEVC (h265)

How do you select the video format on your Android Phone and is there a way to change it to one of these accepted formats?

Or do you simply convert the file to one of these formats with a program instead of re-configuring the cell phone (which I would prefer)?

From the You Tube site ""Select the file format you'd like to convert mswmm (Movie maker project file), .msdvd (DVD Maker project file), .wlmp (Movie maker project file)""

You tube didn't tell me which format my unacceptable format is, so I am not sure how to select which file to convert. Any suggestions?

Also, in addition to the videos I have on my Android phone that I just attempted to download, I have a bunch of videos saved on memory cards from snow plowing. I would like to download some of these for viewing, but am not sure the easiest way to get these from memory card to you tube.

So, is there a program I should be using to make this as easy as possible to get my Go Pro movies to You tube and if so, what is it and where do I get it?

Is there a separate editing program for videos that I should be using or is this all part of the same program and conversion program?

I would like to get this as simple as possible, so imagine my excitement when I attempt to download the videos I do have and apparently my phone doesn't use one of the dozen acceptable formats, but I don't know the format that I am using that is apparently not acceptable. If there was ever an appropriate use of this banging head guy, this is it........

Any insight I can get from those who have done this and who would suggest a video editing program or a video conversion program is appreciated. I have never edited a video and don't plan to get too involved in the process. Perhaps I will piece together videos and / or carve out the non interesting parts of videos, but I don't plan on getting "fancy" with the editing.

SO, easy to use, and compatible with You tube is what I am looking for. I will be honest, this is something I know nothing about and frankly, only want to learn what I have to in order to use the program. Perhaps my interest in video creation and editing will change as I become more familiar with the process, for now, I just want to be able to post videos and perhaps chop out the parts which aren't interesting or worthy of posting. After I get some of this behind me, perhaps my attitude will change, but for now, I am looking for as few obstacles as possible.

If this makes any difference, my laptop is a windows platform and I use Mozilla Firefox. So, if Mozilla has a video program I can use, that would be great. My cell phone is a Droid Turbo about 3 years old. I use a Go Pro Knock off camera for much of the recording and I have some of the videos on my phone. I have many hours of videos on Memory cards from which to draw for posting.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Here's just a couple of general things to hopefully get you started...

- "Formats" are actually "containers". Video, audio, and other things (like subtitle tracks) are all "held" in the container and the specific container dictates what it can contain.

- Check the settings for the camera on your phone to determine what CODEC's are available to you for recording and then decide which one(s) to use based on what containers you want to leverage for your recordings.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    IF you have a lower band width connecting to the interwebs, I would encourage you to download and encode your video with a very small application called Handbrake, it has many options to encode your video and would encourage you to seriously consider h265, they are SUBSTANTIALLY smaller than other formats. That translates to much less upload time and quicker processing on the hosting end. This app does not allow content editing, just encoding between different formats.

Compression example, a 55 minute 1080p video in h264 was about 5Gb, in h265 it drops to about 112Mb, no loss in quality for online presenting. IF you were to watch in on a 70" HD 4K TV you might see some difference, but not for most PC monitors.
    mark02tj and SulleyBear like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    IF you have a lower band width connecting to the interwebs, I would encourage you to download and encode your video with a very small application called Handbrake, it has many options to encode your video and would encourage you to seriously consider h265, they are SUBSTANTIALLY smaller than other formats. That translates to much less upload time and quicker processing on the hosting end. This app does not allow content editing, just encoding between different formats.

Compression example, a 55 minute 1080p video in h264 was about 5Gb, in h265 it drops to about 112Mb, no loss in quality for online presenting. IF you were to watch in on a 70" HD 4K TV you might see some difference, but not for most PC monitors.
    While h.265 generally will result in a smaller file size when video is encoded using it compared to h.264, it is not 100% universal for support and is still somewhat of an emerging standard. As far as publishing content, it will upload faster because the file is smaller - but that's a one-time thing.

Additionally, transcoding will reduce the overall picture quality if not done correctly. It took me months of testing to get the HandBrake settings exactly where I wanted them to properly transcode my ripped BluRay content for my media server so that I could reduce file sizes without losing PQ at any noticeable amount. I transcoded Avatar from its original size of 48G to about 7G and didn't see a drop in PQ even on my 75" 4K Bravia. But, again, it took me months of testing the various settings to get this where I wanted it to be.

HandBrake is exceptionally powerful, but it is not a tool that is easy to understand without a bit of a learning curve.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,549 Posts
    I shoot the videos for our YT channel on a Panasonic HD video camera, then edit them with Sony Vegas Pro 13 (for now, it's buggy and has become unstable), then I render them into MP4 format before uploading.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    While h.265 generally will result in a smaller file size when video is encoded using it compared to h.264, it is not 100% universal for support and is still somewhat of an emerging standard. As far as publishing content, it will upload faster because the file is smaller - but that's a one-time thing.

Additionally, transcoding will reduce the overall picture quality if not done correctly. It took me months of testing to get the HandBrake settings exactly where I wanted them to properly transcode my ripped BluRay content for my media server so that I could reduce file sizes without losing PQ at any noticeable amount. I transcoded Avatar from its original size of 48G to about 7G and didn't see a drop in PQ even on my 75" 4K Bravia. But, again, it took me months of testing the various settings to get this where I wanted it to be.

HandBrake is exceptionally powerful, but it is not a tool that is easy to understand without a bit of a learning curve.
    You're right, and there's a vast difference between uploading for the web and bluray on a 4K. The major hosting sites accept h265 and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of quality for web viewing and upload speed.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements