• 5 Post By mark02tj
  • 3 Post By BigJim55

Thread: Vinnie's eye isn't fixable

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

Vinnie's eye isn't fixable

I could've saved us all a bunch of trouble had my two "consulting" veterinarians known that dogs pupils are operated by the same muscle group and aren't independent like humans.

Monday was our "pre-op" consult for Vinnie's cataract repair. After a few tests, and a check for glaucoma, the Dr. proclaimed Vinnie's optic nerve had either detatched or the macula was destroyed. He could do ultrasound and an EMG to be absolutely sure (to the tune of another $340), but Vinnie failed all the tests he performed aside from the pressure (no glaucoma yet). We're too late.

The Dr. agreed that Vinnie had suffered a severe eye injury, and he thought it likely caused loss of optical function at that time due to major infection or some such. The cataract formed in response to the infection and it's a testament to Vinnie's spirit that he's even got the eye now. He's a fighter!

Many of you generously donated to help with the surgery, which is no longer an option. We'll still have additional ongoing expenses for glaucoma checks (@ $140 a pop annually), and my intention is to put the funds into a HSA of sorts for Vinnie's eye care; or I'm totally willing to return your money if that's what you'd prefer. Just let me know.

We got our first round of treats (as instructed by other donors) on Tuesday after my bad mood subsided following the Vet visit. Vinnie loves chewing on antlers, and really loves these smoked cow bones, so we loaded up on them.

Of course Lexi had to photo bomb the pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180710_221040-1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	638600
    Tomfive, Bubber, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Thanks
    Jim,

Thanks for the update. Not worried. You did the right thing and it makes me chuckle to know your dog has an HSA.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Jim,

Keep in mind that dogs don't understand the concepts of "disabled" or "handicapped". So, Vinnie takes what's happening to him in stride as if it's all normal. When an animal is in pain or uncomfortable all of the time due to illness or injury, that's when you have to evaluate things differently. For now, so long as he isn't hurting, he's thrilled just to be around, especially in light of having a human that cares about his overall wellbeing.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:30 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Animals are extremely adaptable, especially to injuries and what are often called "Handicaps" by humans. As long as Vinnie is healthy overall, and he is happy, which obviously he is, then that is the main thing. Just make sure he is all set with all of his other medical care and his Heart worm and Lyme disease tests are done annually, along with base line blood work, etc. to check his over all health.

Use the funds sent to deal with his regular vet bills and to make sure he is on the best heart worm, Lyme disease and other preventative protocols. I know I had my two canine kids at the Vet for thorough check ups and after losing my Chloe Bell recently, I wanted each of my girls to under go complete exams and the full blood panels, urinalysis and fecal tests. Then we had them supplied with the Flea and Tick, Heart worm and other medication, plus we put Sulley Bear (the real one) on Rimadyl for some joint discomfort as she just celebrated her 9th birthday recently.

By time we got all of this handled, the bill was just over $1,000 for the vet care and the years supply of medications, excluding the Rimadyl which is almost $150 per month for her dosage.

So, just apply the money towards his current and future medical care, and of course, keeping him in treats which he enjoys.

Sorry to hear they couldn't repair his eyesight, but he has likely adapted quite well. Just keep him healthy and happy, that's the main thing.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks
    Dash lost an eye about 3 years. Went out with him on 4th of July morning and chucked his ball. When he was coming back up the hill I saw his eye was white. Had severe glaucoma, most likely from injury. We have no clue what happened, he and one of the other dogs playing etc.

Medicine got the swelling down and we did drops for six months. Vet said taking it out would be easier on him so it’s been two and 1/2 years. He has never missed a beat. You have to watch putting new things down in regular path on non-side, like where he ran through the garage in WI to the back door. The heavy hitch on cart doesn’t even move when he hit it.. Also I have to throw balls and toys to the eye. And when he naps eye side down like in pick he doesn’t need a sleep mask.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64B89E15-8FBB-4FCF-914F-A0A5DC6515FA.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	638686
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 36CA1770-C83C-457F-8258-C1BD2A513EDC.jpg  
    Tomfive, BigJim55 and Jim Timber like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the follow up on Vinnie. Went to the vet yesterday and just a basic visit with 2 shots was 155$. I also chuckled the Vinnie has a HSA. Good luck with him
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:23 AM
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear this, but as others have said, Vinnie will persevere! Just happy that he's not in any discomfort.

Like the others that have spoken up so far, keep the little bit of money that I sent and use it towards his continuing care. Vinnie is lucky to have a buddy like you... and you are lucky to have a buddy like him!!
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,403 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Jim Timber-sorry to hear that about Vinnie's eye. talked to Charley boy-and he said tell vinnie to keep the -ok. and use it for whatever else he might need.

i laughed too-once i googled what a HSA is. boy-i'm really behind in the world-huh.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements