Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: What do you sleep on?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    02-02-2019 @ 09:06 AM
    Thanks

What do you sleep on?

We just bought a new bed. It's a memory foam mattress with coils inside, known as a "hybrid". We also took the plunge and bought an "adjustable foundation", meaning you can tip up the head and legs with a remote control, like a hospital bed.

I'm trying to figure out what's the real purpose of these adjustable bases. You can't really leave them elevated when it's time for sleep if you sleep on your side. The bed has to be flat. It seems to me they're only good for watching TV or maybe a little back stretching after a long day. Anyone have experience with adjustable beds (other than the kind that requires putting quarters in the slot )? Do you sleep with them elevated?

Also, we found choosing a mattress daunting. Memory foam, hybrid memory foam/coil, innerspring, air, etc. We couldn't believe how prices varied between models and brands. It's not hard to spend $10k on a bed! What do you use and how do you like it? So far, we are really liking our memory foam hybrid from Serta.
    etcallhome and Herminator like this.
    Chris - 3720 TLB

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Range View Post
    .I'm trying to figure out what's the real purpose of these adjustable bases. You can't really leave them elevated when it's time for sleep if you sleep on your side. The bed has to be flat. It seems to me they're only good for watching TV or maybe a little back stretching after a long day.
    I haven't purchased one yet, but I'm considering it. With a herniated disk in my lower back, six compressed disks in my neck, and some old wrestling injuries, there are nights when I can't lay flat. Having something like that could save some wear and tear on my recliner, especially when I reach "official" retirement age!
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Sleep Number 360 i8 King with Flexfit. Absolutely love it!
    *JOHN DEERE 2038R w/ 220R FEL-72" AUTOCONNECT MMM-270B BACKHOE-8"-16" BUCKET-KBOHC-IMATCH QUICK HITCH w/KBOHTH-BALLAST BOX-42" ARTILLIAN FORKS-FRONTIER RC2060-FRONTIER RB2072-LANDPRIDE CA1556-LANDPRIDE FSP 700-LANDPRIDE PD25-12'-24" AUGERS-EA 60" GARDEN BEDDER-EA 72" HD LAND PLANE-NORTHSTAR 55 GAL SPRAYER-TUFF TOP SCR-44-COUNTYLINE CARRYALL
    *JOHN DEERE Z930M 60" MOD-FULL SUSPENSION SEAT-ZGLIDE SUSPENSION-XTWEEL TIRES

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Purchased the adjustable bases when purchasing the Tempur-Cloud mattresses. At first I didn't think I liked the adjustable base but over time it has become a much appreciated purchase. I used to only sleep on my side however after finding different positions with the adjustable base that were comfortable for watching tv I soon started falling asleep faster than usual and would wake the following morning in the same position. Was odd at first being as I never slept all night without some tossing/turning to lay on one side or the other. IMHO the massage functions are a bit of a gimmick but other than that, I like the adjustable base a lot. I like the mattress as it is very comfortable but like you mentioned there are so many choices it is daunting. I often wonder if choosing something else would have been even better.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 07-29-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    etcallhome, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Sleep # bed, and I made new legs for foundation to raise the head of the bed, no more upper reflux.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:19 PM
    Thanks
    I sleep on a nest Alexander. Side sleeper.
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    2019 2038R, dual rear vavles, power beyond, 220R loader, 57" HD bucket, iMatch, R3+ tires, JD premium LED light kit, wheel spacers, Artillian diverter, EA wicked root grapple, Heavy Hitch "flexible ballast" and bolt on toothbar, Ken's extended iMatch hook and loader grip, Titan forks, Woods BB60X rotary cutter, CRI stump bucket, Fit Rite hydraulics top link.

1940 John Deere H with PTO, hand start.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Sleep number here but not adjustable base. Like it. Thinking about a new one that’s has the adjustable base. Expensive but ours is getting pretty old.
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    I have a bad shoulder, and the other is getting arthritic. About half the time, I sleep in the recliner, which allows me to sleep on my back, with my head raised and relieve the pain in my shoulders. Some people who have difficulty breathing find that raising the head helps; and as mentioned before, it helps the acid reflux tremendously.
    coaltrain and Sevenhills1952 like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Sleep # bed, and I made new legs for foundation to raise the head of the bed, no more upper reflux.
    I was going to say what he did if you have GERD, acid reflux, you want to elevate the head , so you could put blocks under the headboard legs or raise mattress electric.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Range View Post
    Do you sleep with them elevated?
    Some people advocate sleeping with your head elevated for medical reasons: medical problems like sleep apnea, or to reduce snoring.

When I was a kid, and later as an adult I toured Thomas Jefferson's Monticello. Both times the tour guides talked about his short bed, saying it was because he and many people of the time slept in a semi-sitting position.

We have a bed with head and knee adjustments. It was a novelty to play with at first, but it has stayed flat for years for sleeping.

The only time the head gets elevated now is when my wife changes the sheets. Elevating the head basically makes the bed length shorter, so it is easier to put on the bottom fitted sheet. It will stretch the sheet so tight that you can bounce a quarter on it, like how we were supposed to make up our racks in the Navy.
    arlen and Stablenickers like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast