• 2 Post By MDrew
  • 1 Post By TruckFarmer55

Thread: Chicken feed comparisons

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks

Chicken feed comparisons

On our small farm we have always used Purina brand feeds. The little woman and I are now accumulating more birds to try and keep up with our market. We have been curious about the difference between Purina layer crumbles and Producers Pride. Theres about a $4 per 50 pound difference. I haven't got a good look at the nutrition tags yet (I forgot to look). I was just curious as to if anyone else on here has chickens and uses a different brand feed and what their experiences were. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    I used to use purina, but then I started buying from an Mennonite guy not far from me. He grows and mixes non-gmo feeds to my spec with whatever recipe i want , which has turned out great.

If you are close to seymour IN, then Liberty Feed may be an option, but is pretty expensive. Their claim to fame is their full-fat non-GMO roasted soybean meal. Its supposed to be really good for the animals, and I can believe it. He had some feeder hogs that he was feeding with it, and man were they fat little piggies. I'm pretty sure they deliver large quantities in the immediate area, so you may be able to do that. They use good Fertrell minerals, which are very high quality.

I do know that there are some fertrell dealers that mix larger quantities for delivery. You may want to look for a dealer near you. http://info.fertrell.com/locator/index.php For example there is a guy in Kentucky that would deliver to me in southern IN if I wanted it.
    Last edited by johnH123; 07-31-2018 at 08:02 PM.
    Superglidesport and arlen like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    Huh. Around me the cost differences are minimal between Purina, Dumor and Producer's Pride. They are all within $1 of each other for a 50 lb bag. I've used the Dumor 16% layer crumbles because it's the one brand that the local Tractor Supply store has in stock consistently. I've never had any problems with it.
    Superglidesport likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    I used to use purina, but then I started buying from an Mennonite guy not far from me. He grows and mixes non-gmo feeds to my spec with whatever recipe i want , which has turned out great.

If you are close to seymour IN, then Liberty Feed may be an option, but is pretty expensive. Their claim to fame is their full-fat non-GMO roasted soybean meal. Its supposed to be really good for the animals, and I can believe it. He had some feeder hogs that he was feeding with it, and man were they fat little piggies. I'm pretty sure they deliver large quantities in the immediate area, so you may be able to do that. They use good Fertrell minerals, which are very high quality.

I do know that there are some fertrell dealers that mix larger quantities for delivery. You may want to look for a dealer near you. http://info.fertrell.com/locator/index.php For example there is a guy in Kentucky that would deliver to me in southern IN if I wanted it.
    We have Amish that her step dad gets his feed from for like $5/bag. It produces unhealthy birds and thin shelled eggs. We asked if we could get a layer blend from the feed elevator but they didn't want to do it for less than what the Branded feeds were. People don't like to cater to the customer around here much I guess. My money must not be green enough! 😉

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Huh. Around me the cost differences are minimal between Purina, Dumor and Producer's Pride. They are all within $1 of each other for a 50 lb bag. I've used the Dumor 16% layer crumbles because it's the one brand that the local Tractor Supply store has in stock consistently. I've never had any problems with it.
    There's always pallets​ full of producers pride. Dumor and Mannapro can be scarce at times but generally they always have Purina somewhere in the building. We were just scared that cheaper would equal lower bird health like we have seen with her step dads. We have a very good reputation on our product lineup, wouldn't want to destroy the last four years of work by trying to save a couple hundred dollars a year.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    We have Amish that her step dad gets his feed from for like $5/bag. It produces unhealthy birds and thin shelled eggs. We asked if we could get a layer blend from the feed elevator but they didn't want to do it for less than what the Branded feeds were. People don't like to cater to the customer around here much I guess. My money must not be green enough! 😉

Thin shells = low calcium. I use oyster shell or aragonite in my layer feed. Unhealthy birds means crummy additives. You need to look at the tags and see if it has good amounts of the things you want. If you end up getting it mixed, do some research and make your own recipe and see if you can have them make that.
    arlen and wildbranch2007 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Right. We think their feed is mostly just corn or wheat.
    johnH123 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Thanks
    My birds (4) did fine on the Farm and Fleet brand 16% crumbles. Sneaky also enjoys the occasional chunk of beef stick or hot dog too. Think that's bad for them? She's the only one still alive. She's more like a dog than a chicken, even rides in the Gator with me.
    wildbranch2007 and goat704! like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post

I could have almost wrote this post by just changing the locations. There is something very appealing about having your feed ground and mixed at the local elevator or feed business. I’ve been getting non gmo stuff recently too. I might go non gmo on the calf starter this year too.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    My birds (4) did fine on the Farm and Fleet brand 16% crumbles. Sneaky also enjoys the occasional chunk of beef stick or hot dog too. Think that's bad for them? She's the only one still alive. She's more like a dog than a chicken, even rides in the Gator with me.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif[/IMG]
    My uncle actually has meat in the scraps he throws to his chickens. It struck me as odd but then when I started thinking about it chickens are kind d of scavengers. Their heads aren't full feathered. A lot like a buzzard....
    arlen likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements