Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Evolution of the "Walk of Shame"

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 AM
    Thanks

Evolution of the "Walk of Shame"

I glanced across the highway yesterday afternoon watching the neighbor's grandson mowing the front field on a non-Deere riding mower. Grandpa mowed the first two laps and then turned the reins over to the youngster. After a few more laps, the mower was off and the kid was walking to the house. Fast forward a few minutes, Grandpa and the kid are in Grandpa's pick-up truck with a fuel can. I'll kid the grandpa about this the next time that we visit; In my day, the walk of shame for an out-of-fuel incident resulted in me performing the "pack mule of shame" with the fuel can to get mower underway again.

It was hot and humid yesterday, will be for the next few days. We didn't have a pick-up on this property the first 25 years or so that I began helping here.

My, how times have changed...

Brian
    Last edited by PikeCoGreenTractorMan; 08-04-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    Tomfive, Levi, OxPath and 10 others like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,431 Posts
    My next door neighbor has done "the walk" a couple of times this year that I have noticed. He has a D140 or D160 (can't recall which one he bought when I took him to the Deere dealer to help him find a mower) and I wonder if it has a gas gauge. And as it goes, he is usually the furthest on his property from the garage.

The other day, "the walk" was followed with "the drive" to the gas station in his car with the gas can, which was followed by "the can carrying walk".

I guess we will have to work on checking the gas before starting. I do now have him finally not mowing in circles and actually mowing back and forth with a pattern.........so progress is being made.
    DRobinson, Tomfive, Levi and 8 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,213 Posts
    I've watched my next-door neighbor perform the "Walk" more than once.

Back some years ago, Sears delivered a new riding mower to his door-step. √
    Delivery person showed him the ropes. √
    Delivery person leaves. √
    Neighbor begins to mow his front lawn.(did he honestly think Sears filled the gas tank to capacity?..Or, maybe he didn't think of it at all.) X
    He grabs a can and drives to the corner store/gas station to acquire combustible fluid for his new mower.
    After application, he completed mowing his lawn. It was a good day. √

The next mowing session, the "Walk" was performed again. X

After the third mowing session, which included a "Walk", he must have gathered his thought and devised a plan of action against the "Walk".
    I haven't witnessed anything related to the "Walk" from my neighbor in quit some time.
    DRobinson, Tomfive, Levi and 9 others like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 AM
    Thanks
    Sulbear -

I would argue that in my original post that the shame was lost the second that the kid successfully pimped Grandpa to haul him and the fuel can to the mower - A teachable moment lost

I don't have a working fuel gauge on my 4720 either; I know that I can mow all three flat fields twice on 4-1/2 gallons of diesel. We do check fuel levels on our riding mowers before embarking on a mow session. Yesterday we had me on the Deere with RFM, my wife and her sister on two of our three Simplicity riders. The two hour maximum effort mow session made the property shine once again.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    My next door neighbor has done "the walk" a couple of times this year that I have noticed. He has a D140 or D160 (can't recall which one he bought when I took him to the Deere dealer to help him find a mower) and I wonder if it has a gas gauge. And as it goes, he is usually the furthest on his property from the garage.

The other day, "the walk" was followed with "the drive" to the gas station in his car with the gas can, which was followed by "the can carrying walk".

I guess we will have to work on checking the gas before starting. I do now have him finally not mowing in circles and actually mowing back and forth with a pattern.........so progress is being made.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-18-2019 @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    While I understand "The Walk of Shame", I find it a bit difficult to understand how anyone can make a habit of it. I have been driving since 1951, and have run out of gas in my car twice; once in 1953 and once in 1973. I have been mowing this same lawn for 46 years, and have run out of gas twice. I USUALLY always fill up before I start mowing; if I don't I know I'll run out.
    Levi, flyweight, Old Cajun and 5 others like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    I can't remember if I ever ran out of fuel or not in anything where I had to walk to get the can. Been with people that did and I walked with them. On this property we own now I can't let myself run out. Can you imagine walking a 5 gallon can full of fuel up hill? Came close a couple times. I'm just glad that when my gauge on my tractor reads empty it still has about a ½ gallon left. When I'm weed eating I use the tractor and wagon as my supply mule so I don't have so far to walk for a fill up...or string.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Thanks
    I was amazed while looking at the new ZTRs that there's basically no gas gauges anymore. The Toro that I got has a opaque window in the fuel tank; the JD that I was looking at just has an "empty" idiot light that I heard is difficult to see in the daylight. More opportunities for "the walk", I guess.
    Levi, Old Cajun, Robnik and 1 others like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Thanks
    With the ways kids are today Grandpa prolly knows they ain’t making the walk of shame. They heading into the air for their phone. G-law ain’t dumb. G-paw was making sure that mower got back going ASAP! Lol
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 991 Posts
    Always figured the walk of shame was when you stuck one piece of equipment (zero turn) and had to go get another piece of equipment (tractor)
    to pull it out.

Can see how running out of fuel would also apply.

Worse for me was Bush Hogging some property about a mile behind the house at night.
    Red low diesel warning light came on, figured I could finish up the little I had left and make it back home.
    I was wrong on that figuring.

Walked back home, got 5 gallons of diesel, walked back, limped it back home because the pre-filter had also plugged up.

Lesson learned.
    Zebrafive, Levi, mark02tj and 5 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Always figured the walk of shame was when you stuck one piece of equipment (zero turn) and had to go get another piece of equipment (tractor)
    to pull it out.

Can see how running out of fuel would also apply.

Worse for me was Bush Hogging some property about a mile behind the house at night.
    Red low diesel warning light came on, figured I could finish up the little I had left and make it back home.
    I was wrong on that figuring.
    There are many walks of shame.

I mowed last week with the 400. Hadn’t used it to mow in a while so for Deere’s 50th year of hydro I brought it out to celebrate. It takes a full tank to mow sometimes a little more. The new one can mow the same area 3 or 4 times on a tank. I was getting close to finishing up then all the sudden I realized I might need gas. There is about a half inch left so I just remembered in time.
    Levi, BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast