Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree592Likes

Thread: Cancer Screening Pays Off

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Thanks

Cancer Screening Pays Off

I think that a large number of us on this site are 50+ years old and you likely know, if you ever see a doctor, that this is when they suggest you start having a colonoscopy every 1, 3 or 5 years, depending on your family history. I lost a brother to colon cancer when he was 45 so my screening started at about 43 and now I am almost 60. I've had nothing show up as a problem until my last colonoscopy, the polyp they snipped out this time had cancer in it. So now the fun begins...

They did a CT scan and there is nothing of note showing up, but they still recommend surgery to take out a piece of the small intestine and about a foot of the large, (called a right hemicolectomy). This is so they can biopsy everything in the region of where the polyp was removed. So Sept. 20 is when that happens.

I am so fortunate, thankful, and blessed that this was found so early, and so small. I'm confident they will find nothing else, I'm looking at it as though I am having my appendix removed, because that comes out with the rest of the stuff.

So why post this here?? Guys, if you are postponing your colonoscopy, don't. They said the polyp likely became cancerous in the last couple of years and if I was in sooner, it would have just be a benign polyp.

So go see your doc and bend over boys....
    glc, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 29 others like this.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Carvel Loafer For This Useful Post:

arlen (08-11-2018), BigJim55 (08-11-2018), Bubber (08-11-2018), ColonyPark (08-14-2018), ctrider (08-11-2018), dieselshadow (08-11-2018), DRobinson (08-11-2018), etcallhome (08-11-2018), fdmars (08-11-2018), flyweight (08-11-2018), Gizmo2 (09-25-2018), Herminator (08-11-2018), jdmich (08-11-2018), Kennyd (08-11-2018), Levi (08-12-2018), Michigan Grandpa (08-12-2018), NotYourGrandfathersDeere (08-11-2019), Stablenickers (08-11-2018), wentonbrown (09-24-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    Good luck with your procedure.....
    I’m 63 been there done that 3x so far......one of those things ya just gotta do
    glc, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 8 others like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carvel Loafer View Post
    Guys, if you are postponing your colonoscopy, don't. They said the polyp likely became cancerous in the last couple of years and if I was in sooner, it would have just be a benign polyp.
    And they probably would have just ignored the benign polyp then, so doubt if it'd made any difference. But so glad it was caught early so there's a high chance of success.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Been there, twice so far All OK so far
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Excellent advice, CarvelLoafer. I'm 72 and have had three or four, all of which have come out fine.

Spending a few hours on the toilet is a small price to pay for peace of mind or action to remove a problem.

I hope your surgery is successful and no more problems.
    glc, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 10 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks
    Great advice! I have been checked there 4 times now and had the plops nipped off a few times just to be safe. I have had more CT's , Bone Scans and MRI's to try to find what has been wrong with me over the last few years. 3 days ago my luck ran out and they found a mass the size of a quarter on my right kidney! My blood tests have been showing failing kidneys for over a year now but they are still working but at 50% of what they should. My kidney levels are at 51 and should be at 80-90 for my age 66 yrs and at 30 you need to have the blood filtered, 15 is end stage. So I was in the emergency room for pains and a ultra sound found it. Tuesday I go in for a CT Scan on Tuesday the 14th to see if it is a solid tumor or a large cyst benign or cancer. It is the size of a quarter on my smaller kidney. Both have stones in them and a simple cyst on both but this is new what they found. All my energy levels have crashed to level I never felt before. Hard to do anything that takes a real effort. Last winter they had me on antibiotics and other things to fix me but they were treating the wrong thing? I am hoping it is not Kidney Cancer cause that is one that I don't think they can fix worth a crap just put off the end a little longer. The expected life span is like 5 years if found early but if you feel this bad now what is it like after a couple more years?? I know something is wrong big time and Tuesday is like D-Day for me but I am ready for anything they throw at me. A answer for what my body is doing would help a lot in dealing with it. So some times they can screen you all they want for years and still catch things to late to fix. But it is worth doing because it can get a whole lot worse if they don't find things in time. My Mother died of colon cancer and my brother of lung cancer so it is something family members have had and died from in the past. I just won't go the way they did slowly drained of every ounce of there bodies first till they just shut down. That is not for me but I will do my best to stay healthy. I have a wife and daughter that would like me around for a long time. Good part is my home is paid for and my Daughter is now successful in her business and my wife will be taken care of. That alone helps deal with this crap! Cross your fingers that ultra sound saw something that is not there anymore like what happen on a chest x-ray once. I am on the Agent Orange Registry and 100% disabled from Vietnam so I have great health care on the outside for what ever I need done at 100% paid for. Never thought I would get this old in life but I did and get to do so many things I wanted to do over time. Live is a test and it can throw stuff at you once in a while you just have to deal with! Little pissed off but that is good makes me want to fight more!

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    JD4044M will be thinking of you on Tues....good luck and stay positive....
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fdmars For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (08-11-2018)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Thanks
    Good luck with the surgery, will be thinking of you and sending prayers this week. I can't say enough about being tested regularly to catch things before they go too far.
    2011 2320 w/R4's, 3rd SCV
    imatch hitch. Soft side cab
    47" front mount snow blower
    200cx FEL w/ 54" dirt bucket - added a 1/2" x 6" DBL Bevel Bolt on Cutting Edge
    42"tined utility bucket w/ grapple
    54" JD 3pt blade w/ hydraulic swivel
    Hydraulic Dump trailer 48" W x 72" L X 24" Deep w/cap of 4500 lbs
    2011 D110 w/ bagger, 42" 2-stage blower
    2016 x380 w/ 48" deep body deck and powerflow bagger
    91 STX38 - this was my Father-in-Law's lawn mower

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Thanks
    CL -

I'm 58 years young and had my fifth colonoscopy in June, my fifth since age 42 due to family history. A few polyps here and there, all benign, Thank the Lord.

You and the other posters are correct that the prep is the worst part. I told the team positioning me just before the surgeon walked into the procedure room to have the Dr. aim for the red, tender spot.

My oldest brother had 18 inches of his colon removed along with a seven pound tumor 17 years ago. Watching and supporting him through the hell of the surgery, chemo, and radiation made it easy for me to get on the business end of the tube. Every three to five years is not a huge issue.

My advice is to stop procrastinating and get it done...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Carvel Loafer View Post
    I think that a large number of us on this site are 50+ years old and you likely know, if you ever see a doctor, that this is when they suggest you start having a colonoscopy every 1, 3 or 5 years, depending on your family history. I lost a brother to colon cancer when he was 45 so my screening started at about 43 and now I am almost 60. I've had nothing show up as a problem until my last colonoscopy, the polyp they snipped out this time had cancer in it. So now the fun begins...

They did a CT scan and there is nothing of note showing up, but they still recommend surgery to take out a piece of the small intestine and about a foot of the large, (called a right hemicolectomy). This is so they can biopsy everything in the region of where the polyp was removed. So Sept. 20 is when that happens.

I am so fortunate, thankful, and blessed that this was found so early, and so small. I'm confident they will find nothing else, I'm looking at it as though I am having my appendix removed, because that comes out with the rest of the stuff.

So why post this here?? Guys, if you are postponing your colonoscopy, don't. They said the polyp likely became cancerous in the last couple of years and if I was in sooner, it would have just be a benign polyp.

So go see your doc and bend over boys....
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks
    Your right the prep sucks but the test is nothing to fear. They knock you out and you just wake up and it is done. Mine was done by a pretty young lady doctor this time. The same one who fixed my Pancreas going in thru my throat with the instruments. 1 1/2 hours later it was fixed! We have 2 fires adding up to about 40,000 acres 40 miles from us and 14 new fires above us from the lightning that just went thru. So I have lots of stuff to keep me occupied so far we have lucked out but our guys are headed to one below us. With this weather we don't need anymore fires to start! The SMOKE is Horrible!
    Widespread haze. Widespread smoke. Sunny, with a high near 90. Breezy, with a southwest wind 13 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
    Tonight
    Areas of smoke. Mostly clear, with a low around 58. West wind 5 to 14 mph.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 2 others like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast