Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Ice Cleats for Boots

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 2,264 Posts

Ice Cleats for Boots

The time of year will be here soon enough that I will have nothing but ice on my driveway. When we get good snows like we've been having I get a good solid snow pack. Then when it starts warming up we have to put up with nasty ice for a few weeks. We have ashes from the wood stove to spread, but what we need is to be able to walk on the driveway (with a decent grade in part). I was thinking that some ice cleats that strap on your boots would work well.

Any recommendations with a low budget in mind?
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:28 PM
    Thanks
    When my friends and I hike in the White Mountains in New Hampshire in the winter we put these on our hiking boots.

Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System - REI.com

They slip on and off easily and they enable pretty good traction in icy conditions.
    Oberhaz likes this.
    2015 3038e with Frontier 57" Tiller and FEL
    D125 Riding Mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    I don't have a recommendation other than you should NOT ever wear them in the house. They'll tear up hardwood floors quickly and walking on them on tile is like walking on ice without them. Have a designated place to remove them before you step inside. The last thing anyone needs to to fall and break their arse.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    I have Yak Traks the work good, easy on and off any boot.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Amazon.com: 2x Non Slip Black Durable Velcro Firm Sharp 7 Steel Studs Teeth Crampon Snow Boot Shoe Ice Cleat Fit All: Sports & Outdoors

Work gave us all a set like these. Ours have an elastic strap and sit in the hollow of you boot sole just in front of the heel. The elastic makes it easy to flip the cleat over to the top of your boot for when you go inside or transition to an area with no ice. Works fine for the few times a day I have to traverse an icy patch.
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post
    I have Yak Traks the work good, easy on and off any boot.
    I have used those but was never comfortable with them on ice. On snow, packed or otherwise, or variable terrain they're OK, but on ice they always felt "squirmy" underfoot as the springs have some give to them and there are no points to bite into the ice.

I have a pair of each of these and they're far superior to all of the other products I have used.

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Traction-...S34XS56CYGAR3Z

http://www.amazon.com/Due-North-Ever...VNHZCXC2J48CS6

They slip on any footwear easily and their carbide cleats really bite into the ice of a packed driveway.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    Believe it or not, a pair of old sweat socks pulled over your shoes will work wonders. I had to try it to be convinced, but they are remarkably effective...assuming of course that you can find a pair that are large enough to pull over you shoes/boots.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-23-2015 @ 04:35 PM
    Thanks
    Ok - a super-cheap fix from back in college days...
    I had a pair of old wellington boots and used liquid nails to glue strips from a 40-grit sanding belt on the bottoms of 'em. I had the belt and adhesive already - pinched the boot between two scrap pieces of 1x6 lumber with wood clamps to be sure of a good bond. Worked great!
    But like someone here said, don't wear 'em inside! Wellies are easy to take off at the doorstep, but these were brutal on flooring! They will tear up wood flooring, carpeting, linoleum.... They'll getcha in real trouble with the woman of the house!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    -- Daniel
    1025r... shiny new and green!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 2,264 Posts
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

The Kahtoola from REI look like the real deal - I'll have to consider them although pretty expensive.

The Yak Tracs - my first impression (just looking at the pics) is they would never work on solid glazed ice on a hill. Just seems like they would slide worse than without. I can see them working well in packed snow however.

The Crampon and Alps from Amazon might be the good one for me - I like the way the Alps goes on the boot with the rubber straps.

Sanding belt pieces is a great DIY - I love that kind of thing!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    12-13-2016 @ 01:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    When my friends and I hike in the White Mountains in New Hampshire in the winter we put these on our hiking boots.

Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System - REI.com

They slip on and off easily and they enable pretty good traction in icy conditions.
    I just got a set of these this year, they work great!
    John Deere 1023E with H120 loader, 54D mower deck, JD Ballast box, iMatch, Frontier forks, & a Frontier SB1154 snowblower.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast