Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Crown Molding Templates

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 08:38 PM
    Thanks

Crown Molding Templates

Morning boys!

So a long time ago (2yrs) I promised my wife that I would install crown molding at the top of my cabinets that I didn't want her painting so close to. She isn't a painter and would certainly touch the cabinets with the ceiling paint. In doing so I signed myself up for crown molding. I'm a novice and have only done a few pieces several years ago however I use a 16' to get a 4' job done...I always forget "backwards and upside down" is the standard rule with crown molding.

I was interested in picking up a set of crown molding templates but I can't find them anywhere at all. The one place that has them for sale is shutdown and their phone lines are just spam recordings now. There are a ton of DIY's about making your own templates... I really want to purchase ones that are clean and manufactured.

Here's an example of what the company used to sell.

Crown Molding Installation: Crown Molding Templates

Has anyone ever purchased a set before or have any leads on a set?
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    I seem to recall seeing some jigs...Kreg's...at Lowes for crown molding.
    nastorino likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    Morning boys!

So a long time ago (2yrs) I promised my wife that I would install crown molding at the top of my cabinets that I didn't want her painting so close to. She isn't a painter and would certainly touch the cabinets with the ceiling paint. In doing so I signed myself up for crown molding. I'm a novice and have only done a few pieces several years ago however I use a 16' to get a 4' job done...I always forget "backwards and upside down" is the standard rule with crown molding.

I was interested in picking up a set of crown molding templates but I can't find them anywhere at all. The one place that has them for sale is shutdown and their phone lines are just spam recordings now. There are a ton of DIY's about making your own templates... I really want to purchase ones that are clean and manufactured.

Here's an example of what the company used to sell.

Crown Molding Installation: Crown Molding Templates

Has anyone ever purchased a set before or have any leads on a set?
    I feel your pain on this Crown Molding stuff. When I built my house four years ago, the contractor wanted too much money to build out my fireplace mantel & trim. However my plan had a lot of Crown details. So I decided to build it myself. Had no issues with it but could not get the Crown miter cuts I needed. My miter box saws were not large enough to do the job. I tried to do it on my table saw & making the jigs & set up was a waste of time for me. So what I ended up doing was taking my plans for the mantel & my stock over to the shop that built my custom kitchen cabinets. The owner of the shop was more than glad to make all my cuts. He personally made the cuts to the plan & did not charge me for it. Took him about an hour to do everything & when I got back home with it, everything went together easy peasy.

I know this is not helping you find those templates, but maybe you have a cabinet shop nearby that will make your cuts for a modest fee. I consider myself to be a decent DIY all around handyman. But some of these jobs should go to the pros. In the end the results could be better, cheaper & faster to accomplish. As DIY'rs & home owners, some jobs are driven by our "I can do it all" ego just for the bragging rights, and it may not be worth it in the end.

The only other thing I can add is that those templates may not be your total salvation. If you have any of those cabinets that are not square to each other or to the walls, your miter templates will not allow for any of the out of square issues. You will need to also use an angle finder to fine tune the cuts. And if your ceiling is not running true, you have another issue to deal with.
    nastorino likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Thanks
    This site may help: How to install Crown Molding
    Here's an old cutting reference sheet I've had for years...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crown.png
    ColonyPark, mark02tj and nastorino like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RodW For This Useful Post:

nastorino†(08-17-2018)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,090 Times in 2,552 Posts
    Save your money and learn to use your miter saw, if it’s smaller crown get the “crown stops” for it. There are lots of videos on YT, this guy is one of my favorites:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCYU9ctqfZCDdagNPfEzL6dg
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Shipwright†(08-17-2018)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Save your money and learn to use your miter saw, if it’s smaller crown get the “crown stops” for it. There are lots of videos on YT, this guy is one of my favorites:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCYU9ctqfZCDdagNPfEzL6dg
    ++++

If you still want templates for the visualization bemefits, make your own from scraps you create learning to use the miter saw!

And for inside angles, consider coping. It is easier to master and generally looks better with fewer tries.

Lastly, if the trim is painted (instead of stained), putty is your friend!

Al
    Last edited by AlKozak; 08-16-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    Kennyd, Zebrafive, tj1 and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks

Agree with kenny

spend an hour or more watching UTUBE videos and you will get a very good working idea of how and a-lot of tricks
    Kennyd, tj1, johnH123 and 1 others like this.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks
    Do you have a compound miter saw?

If so itís easier than you think. I can get you close with what angles are needed with laying the crown flat.
    And if your cabinets are to the ceiling so your crown is going from cabinet to ceiling I personally like to put the crown up exactly the same distance from the doors and mark all corners to make sure it hangs from the ceiling at the same distance at all spots.
    If you just go with the same angle and the cabinets arenít lvl with the ceiling it will look crooked.

Iím on a job with my saw out for he next few days if you need any pictures of something that could help on crown moulding.
    Iím installing some 8Ē crown as we speak. Just not on cabinets.
    56Nine and nastorino like this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

13. Top | #9
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    ++++

If you still want templates for the visualization bemefits, make your own from scraps you create learning to use the miter saw!

And for inside angles, consider coping. It is easier to master and generally looks better with fewer tries.

Lastly, if the trim is painted (instead of stained), putty is your friend!

Al
    LIke an old cabinet maker friend of mine used to say, "leave room for the painter"!!!!
    Practice makes perfect, upside down and backwards is not all that confusing once you get the hang of it..... and yes, if inside miters cope, you will find life much easier and waste a lot less money and that stuff is $$$$$$$
    56Nine and nastorino like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Crown is a lot like backing up a trailer. Whatever your mind thinks is correct is exactly the opposite. We do two types. The first is traditional crown and the second is custom layered millwork. Layered is easier but more time consuming. If you are concerned with cutting traditional crown, consider layered. It can be used on cabinets or ceillings
    nastorino likes this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast