• 4 Post By mjarmstr
  • 1 Post By DeereNC

Thread: Article about Deere Facility in Waterloo Iowa

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-23-2015 @ 04:35 PM
    Thanks

Article about Deere Facility in Waterloo Iowa

Nice article about JD facility in Waterloo Iowa. Like Walmart here in Fayetteville region, Deere's facility is an economic engine for the entire region. Article also tells about Deere investing almost a billion dollars in the area facilities in the last 5 years and the challenges of meeting Tier IV clean air standards.

The photo of the 9L engine being built also gave me serious tractor envy!

Waterloo Cedar Valley Courier Article
    arlen likes this.
    -- Daniel
    1025r... shiny new and green!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fizxman For This Useful Post:

RandyM (02-01-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-22-2018 @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    When my FIL bought his 7920 new a few years back part of the deal was that you got to follow your tractor down the assembly line at the facility in Waterloo. You got four spots so I got to go along. The organization of the assembly line was probably the most impressive. Different versions of the tractors are intermingled on the line, each one on its own computer controlled cart so that if something goes wrong with assembly the single tractor can be pulled off and not hold up anything else. My BIL actually got to drive the tractor off the end of the line.
    - Mike

2014 1025R

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-23-2015 @ 04:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjarmstr View Post
    When my FIL bought his 7920 new a few years back part of the deal was that you got to follow your tractor down the assembly line at the facility in Waterloo. You got four spots so I got to go along.
    That must have been AWESOME! I would love to go see tractors being built like that - even if I didn't get to drive a shiny new one off the line at the end of the day! (The temptation to just 'keep driving' would be way too strong!)
    -- Daniel
    1025r... shiny new and green!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjarmstr View Post
    When my FIL bought his 7920 new a few years back part of the deal was that you got to follow your tractor down the assembly line at the facility in Waterloo. You got four spots so I got to go along. The organization of the assembly line was probably the most impressive. Different versions of the tractors are intermingled on the line, each one on its own computer controlled cart so that if something goes wrong with assembly the single tractor can be pulled off and not hold up anything else. My BIL actually got to drive the tractor off the end of the line.
    They call that the "Gold Key Tour". It is quite something, especially in Waterloo. We went to see my Dad's 9520T be built in the late 2000's. A group of us went as my dad's uncle had bought a 9520 and it was being built around the same time. My cousin got to fire up his gpa's up for the first time. My dad's was sitting at the end of the line waiting to get the tracks put on. In the process of watching the tractor in front of his get an upgraded set of tracks put on, he decided he might have to upgrade as well. A quick drive down the concrete test bed was all it took as they rode much smoother and way quieter than the standard set.

The best part about Waterloo is you are allowed to freely wonder (within reason) and talk to all the guys on the line. Moline, well that's another story, that I think I already told...
    etcallhome likes this.
    --DeereNC

2025R, 62D MMM, H130 FEL, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks, Bxpanded Tooth Bar, more to come...
    Implements: Woods TS52 tiller

Stihl MS261C worked over by Mastermind Work Saws, FS45C
    Dolmar PS3410TH
    Redmax EBZ8500RH

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements