Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: anyone come across the giant hogweed yet

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks

anyone come across the giant hogweed yet

read this article the other day be careful if you see them https://www.businessinsider.com/what...rginia-2018-6/
    Levi, BigJim55, blue87fj60 and 2 others like this.
    brian
    2016 2032r, h130 fel, 62d mmm, ballast box, frontier box blade bb20065,jd I match quick hitch, frontier land plane lp1160, jd independent mower lift, kens bolt on hooks, artillian forks and front hoe bucket, r2 3" edge tamer tarter 6 foot land rake

1989 jd 826 walk behind snow blower

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bmichael For This Useful Post:

tommyhawk†(08-27-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    There are some known cases in Wautauga County NC, the county next to the county where my land is. Somebody actually planted it intentionally cause they thought it was pretty and didn't realize what they were in for. Plus they shared it with a few other neighbors.

Hopefully they will keep it in check and it wont spread like wildfire. I haven't heard about how quickly it spreads, anyone know?

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Probably ten years ago my wife and I were weed wacking the fence line in the horse pastures. Fatherís Day weekend, I remember that because Miranda was in dance and her recital was always on Fatherís Day. So on that Saturday we started in on the fence line, around 95* and humid and I had shorts on 🤬 the ďscarsĒ that juice left on my legs didnít clear up until around Christmas time. Never again have I or will I take on that nasty vicious weed unless I am fully covered from head to toe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

Treefarmer†(08-27-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Itís in south central PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Leroy View Post
    There are some known cases in Wautauga County NC, the county next to the county where my land is. Somebody actually planted it intentionally cause they thought it was pretty and didn't realize what they were in for. Plus they shared it with a few other neighbors.

Hopefully they will keep it in check and it wont spread like wildfire. I haven't heard about how quickly it spreads, anyone know?
    Mother Nature often seems to have a twisted sense of humor about such things. While it takes physical labor and frequent attention to keep flowers alive so we can enjoy their beauty, usually the destructive and dangerous / damaging stuff seems to grow quickly and everywhere you don't want it to be despite efforts to destroy it........ Just like broad leaf weeds verses lawn grass. Growing weeds is effortless, growing grass is much trickier with weeds fighting.

Two years ago, we had all of our private roads resurfaced. The various contractors involved ended up damaging about 4' of everyone's lawns from the edge of the pavement back. Part of the deal was the contractor was supposed to have a company come in regrade the road edges of the lawns and hydro seed along the road edges to restore everyone's damaged lawn areas.

Long story shortened, the HOA Board ended up in a urination contest with the main contractor over some of the costs, so the main contractor skipped the hydro seed part and had some lackies barely rake the dirt areas before throwing some seed along the edges of the roads. I refused their "service offer" and told them I would re seed my own lawn. I am not sure how they did it, but the seed they spread must have included NO lawn grass and was all weeds. Most neighbors now have this weed infested 4' strip the entire road width of their lawns. And if you don't go after the broad leaf weeds, they will push into the lawn, forcing grass out, which is now what is happening in many lawns.

I wonder if there is a seed available for such "contested projects" that is sold as "Contractors Last Laugh" or "Final Revenge".......? If so, that is what was used on this project..... Glad I handled it myself as mine is one of only 4 lawns in here without this issue and the other 3 are also lawns which I re seeded as I mow and take care of them for the neighbors.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Leroy View Post

I only this, just like anything that you donít want spreading, you have to cut it down before it goes to seed. Anything after that is simply too late.

Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Itís here in Michigan as well unfortunately. Iíve seen notifications from our DNR/DEQ on volunteering for cleanup days where they go remove the plants from a known area. They provide the disposal and tyvek suits, gloves and face shields for anyone who volunteered to help. Itís a slow process but last I heard theyíre making headway against it here. Someone needs to, itís one of the nastiest plants Iíve ever seen-makes poison oak/ivy look like a walk in the park... dang hogweed sap will bind to your DNA if you get it on you-after the rash and irritation fades months later youíll still have a sensitivity to light-virtually forever in the affected areas. A plant that can attack you like that then bind to your DNA and stay with you forever!
    Levi, BigJim55, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Thanks

Several cases in Va.

There are several documented cases in Virginia but I think all of them are the result of homeowners planting the seeds because it looked good in a seed catalog picture. I haven't checked but hope it's now on the noxious weed list which would make it illegal to sell or transport the seeds or plants into Virginia.

Treefarmer
    Levi, Oscar Leroy and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    There are several documented cases in Virginia but I think all of them are the result of homeowners planting the seeds because it looked good in a seed catalog picture. I haven't checked but hope it's now on the noxious weed list which would make it illegal to sell or transport the seeds or plants into Virginia.

Treefarmer
    As well it should be Treefarmer, along with wild parsnip, which is also very common in my part of the woods. Both have a very nasty venum which will severely burn from contact with the skin when flowered out before they go to seed. But yet they claim you can eat the root of the wild parsnip no thanks.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Oscar Leroy like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

Rogero246†(08-30-2018)

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    Probably ten years ago my wife and I were weed wacking the fence line in the horse pastures. Fatherís Day weekend, I remember that because Miranda was in dance and her recital was always on Fatherís Day. So on that Saturday we started in on the fence line, around 95* and humid and I had shorts on 🤬 the ďscarsĒ that juice left on my legs didnít clear up until around Christmas time. Never again have I or will I take on that nasty vicious weed unless I am fully covered from head to toe.

Pat, I'm curious about this.....did you know it was hogweed before you started weed whacking?

We have warnings of it here every summer. But for all the traipsing around outdoors I've done in the last 20+ years, I've never come across it, nor have I ever heard of or met anyone who has encountered it. I shouldn't say this, but I've also only ever had one tick on me. It was teeny tiny and I found it on the weekend after working in the yard all day, never had one from work. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!
    Levi, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast