Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Telephones

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Thanks

Telephones

I was creating some web pages today and ran across this gem and thought a few might be lucky to be old enough to appreciate this. Warning... two hanky alert.

Dave

TELEPHONES
    From the Internet, Author Unknown

(This would not be foreign to those of early days of the telephone, when operators were at switchboards and gave personal service, information of goings-on, etc.)

When I was a young boy, my father had one of the first telephones in our neighborhood. I remember the polished, old case fastened to the wall. The shiny receiver hung on the side of the box. I was too little to reach the telephone, but used to listen with fascination when my mother talked to it. Then I discovered that somewhere inside the wonderful device lived an amazing person. Her name was "Information Please" and there was nothing she did not know. Information Please could supply anyone's number and the correct time.

My personal experience with the genie-in-a-bottle came one day while my mother was visiting a neighbor. Amusing myself at the tool bench in the basement, I whacked my finger with a hammer, the pain was terrible, but there seemed no point in crying because there was no one home to give sympathy. I walked around the house sucking my throbbing finger, finally arriving at the stairway. The telephone! Quickly, I ran for the footstool in the parlor and dragged it to the landing. Climbing up, I unhooked the receiver and held it to my ear. "Information, please" I said. A click or two and a small clear voice spoke into my ear, "Information."

"I hurt my finger." I wailed into the phone. "Isn't your mother home?" came the question. "Nobody's home but me," I blubbered. "Are you bleeding?" the voice asked. "No," I replied. "I hit my finger with the hammer and it hurts." "Can you open the icebox?" she asked. I said I could. "Then chip off a little bit of ice and hold it to your finger," said the voice.

After that, I called "Information Please" for everything. I asked her for help with my geography, and she told me where Philadelphia was. She helped me with my math. She told me my pet chipmunk that I had caught in the park, would eat fruit and nuts. Then, there was the time Petey, our pet canary, died. I called, "Information Please," and told her the sad story. She listened, and then said things grown-ups say but I was not consoled. I asked her, "Why is it that birds should sing so beautifully and bring joy to all families, only to end up as a heap of feathers on the bottom of a cage?" She showed concern, for she said quietly, "Wayne, always remember that there are other worlds to sing in." Somehow I felt better.

Another day I was on the telephone, "Information Please." "Information," said the now familiar voice. "How do I spell fix?" All this took place in a small town in the Pacific Northwest. When I was nine years old, we moved across the country to Boston. I missed my friend very much. "Information Please" belonged in that old wooden box back home and I somehow never thought of trying the shiny new phone, but those childhood conversations never really left me.

A few years later, on my way west to college, my plane put down in Seattle. I had time between planes. I spent 15 minutes or so on the phone with my sister, then without thinking what I was doing, I dialed my hometown operator and said, "Information Please." Miraculously, I heard the small, clear voice I knew so well. "Information." I hadn't planned this, but I heard myself saying, "Could you please tell me how to spell fix?" There was a long pause, then came the soft spoken answer, "I guess your finger must have healed by now." I laughed, "So it's really you," I said. "I wonder if you have any idea how much you meant to me during that time?" I wonder," she said, "if you know how much your calls meant to me. I never had any children and I used to look forward to your calls." I told her how often I had thought of her over the years and I asked if I could call her again when I came back to visit my sister. "Please do", she said. "Ask for Sally".

Three months later I was back in Seattle. A different voice answered, "Information". I asked for Sally. "Are you a friend?" she said. "Yes, a very old friend," I answered. "I'm sorry to have to tell you this," she said, "Sally died five weeks ago." Before I could hang up, she said, "Wait a minute, is your name Wayne?" "Yes." "Sally left a message for you. Let me read it to you." The note said, "Tell him there are other worlds to sing in. He'll know what I mean." I thanked her and hung up. I knew what Sally meant. We didn't know what we had meant to each other.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

grnspot110 (02-04-2015), Levi (02-05-2015), Marlin (02-04-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (02-03-2015)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    A day in the life of a phone man
    I remember that day!
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    My Dad and his younger brother both worked for New England Telephone for a combined 76 years. They both started after WWII and enjoyed it until the culture between management and the I.B.T.W. union workers deteriorated in the '70's. By the time they both retired they couldn't get out fast enough.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,213 Posts
    I remember when we only had to dial 4 numbers to call someone. There was no 911. We dialed 0. It was easier to remember.

I remember when a Coke was 6¢. It was very cold and in a 6.5 oz. glass bottle. Real glass!

I remember when my first pedal tractor was a model 70. No, not the year........

I also remember when gasoline was 25¢ per gallon.
    etcallhome, grnspot110 and Levi like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    I have never worked for a phone co but retail has to be a close second to the kind of stupidly that is shown on the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks
    I used a crank phone last summer, not a rotary phone, a crank the handle and every phone on the line rings. It was used for dam release communications to places down stream, and for camp to camp communication.
    I Dialed 0 for information, and did get to use 4 number dialing. I also remember quite a few party lines, although the operator no longer listened, many of your neighbors did. They were around until 1990 +/-
    Levi likes this.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 03:58 PM
    Thanks
    Isn't that the truth, I am eligible for early retirement this April but would like to stay for another 6 1/2 years. Hope it stays the same until then.
    1986 John Deere 655 CUT
    60 Series FEL
    380 60" Front Blade
    50" Mid mount mower
    47" Two stage snowblower
    60" Land Pride LR1660 Landscaping Rake

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    I was the first full time male operator in WV in 1974 using the old cord boards to answer and place collect or credit card calls. in 1974 still had some 8 party lines and when I started working outside (77) we still had 4 and 2 party lines. I think it was 1989 and all party lines was eliminated in WV.
    Yes I have used the old crank phone , my aunts and uncles living near my home still had them back in the 50's . When we moved to WV in 63 we was on a I think a 4 party line , GTE had a timer in the central office and if you was on the phone for 9 mins you would hear a beep in your ear. At 9 min 30 you heard two or three beeps. At 10mins you was disconnected......BYE
    Levi likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Thanks
    I was the first full time male operator in WV in 1974 using the old cord boards to answer and place collect or credit card calls. in 1974 still had some 8 party lines and when I started working outside (77) we still had 4 and 2 party lines. I think it was 1989 and all party lines was eliminated in WV.
    Yes I have used the old crank phone , my aunts and uncles living near my home still had them back in the 50's . When we moved to WV in 63 we was on a I think a 4 party line , GTE had a timer in the central office and if you was on the phone for 9 mins you would hear a beep in your ear. At 9 min 30 you heard two or three beeps. At 10mins you was disconnected......BYE

I was in the USAF stationed up at Loring AFB up in Northern Maine and the base operated on an old Strowger step-by-step switch up until the day it was closed in the mid-1990s. As the base was closing it turned out that it was only one of 2 Strowger central office switches still in operation and our's still had the old corded switchboard. We ended up pulling the switchboard and a large portion of the switch out and it all got sent to a telephone museum somewhere in upstate NY.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast