Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree645Likes

Thread: Hurricane Florance

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-18-2019 @ 10:22 AM
    Thanks

Hurricane Florance

What's everyone doing to prepare for Hurricane Florance?

We have water, canned foods, dog food, batteries, flashlights, gas for generator, fuel for tractor, taken umbrellas down, put trashcans in the garage, tied the boat off on the lift, and checked ditch lines. I'm sure I'll think of more to do in the next few days.

Ya'll be safe!
    JD 3032E, D160 FEL, Beet Juice, i Match, JD Ballast Box, W R Long 4 in 1 bucket, Edge Tamers, RB2072, Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Action TrackChair ST-22, Stihl 291

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Thanks

Good list

Quote Originally Posted by Catfishin View Post
    What's everyone doing to prepare for Hurricane Florance?

We have water, canned foods, dog food, batteries, flashlights, gas for generator, fuel for tractor, taken umbrellas down, put trashcans in the garage, tied the boat off on the lift, and checked ditch lines. I'm sure I'll think of more to do in the next few days.

Ya'll be safe!
    That's a good list. In addition, I'll need to move chairs off the deck and cut the grass closer than normal. I found out from past storms that it's a lot easier to deal with leaf litter after the storm with short grass.

I might get a light stick or two for night lights, make sure the grill gas tank is full, get another bottle of propane for the camping stove, make sure I have a tarp where I can find it, sharpen the chain saws and have gas and oil for them etc.

If it hits here, I'll be cutting trees out of the road; not only the subdivision but the state road to open it up. If we wait for VDOT, well let's just say it will be a lot quicker if I'm cutting. Power? We won't have power for anywhere from 8-14 days based on past storms. I'd love to have my 790 here but I don't have anywhere safe to put it during a storm. I might talk with an adjoining farmer and see if I can leave it in his field out of the reach of any trees. It will get wet but I would have easier access to it.

I really hope Florence doesn't hit but it's not looking good at this point. Most likely, somebody is going to have a mess to deal with.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 06:33 AM
    Thanks
    As usual we have enough food in the basement for a nuclear winter.

My list includes filling the generator and running it for a short while, filling both 5 gallon gas cans and the vehicles, making sure the extra sump pump works, filling the bathtub with water before the wind event starts, fresh gas mix for the chainsaw and running it a little on a few limbs that I have been collecting, clean the vines away from the end of the basement gravity drain that terminates in the road ditch. We have plenty of AA batteries for the flashlights and I'll charge up the LED ones I picked up last christmas for each car (USB charger).

I like treefarmers grass cutting idea, if it dries out enough the next few days I will also do that.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    Matches, dutch oven, instant coffee, case of Bud light......22cal. rifle; ammo
    Have wings, will travel.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Never hurts to have too much drinking water.

Be safe everyone, maybe it'll turn or weaken before landfall.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:18 AM
    Thanks
    I’m gonna fill a couple more gas cans tomorrow.
    Just in case it turns and pulls a Sandy.
    Be safe everyone.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    Only one?

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Thanks
    2lc -

I like the idea of adult beverage supplies. We have the remnants of TS Gordon dumping rain in our southern Ohio hills right now. Seven plus inches of rain in the last 30 hours. Our small but heavily fruit laden persimmon tree toppled over a couple of hours ago. I'm not yet sure how hard that that dense wood will be on a saw chain, but I'll be able to report more later.

Stay warm, dry, and safe, everyone!!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    I live far enough inland that I don't need to make special preparations for myself.

I am getting my barn ready to be able to take in a few horses if anyone needs a place to stay if they need to evacuate from the Savannah to Charleston coast.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 991 Posts
    You guys be safe on the east coast, this storm looks like it has the potential to kick butt and
    not move very fast after it makes landfall.

This is the guy I always watch for tropical info, very good site, very good no BS analysis by Levi Cowan.
    He also has the latest hurricane model updates.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

Click on vid for his current analysis.

Click on forecast models at top of page for latest model runs, I like the GFS and ECMWF models myself.

Stay sharp guys.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Cajun For This Useful Post:

Littlegreenmachine (09-09-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast