Lying and Being Deceitful and Proud of it. Sad statement about Professional Baseball.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Lying and Being Deceitful and Proud of it. Sad statement about Professional Baseball.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,432 Posts

Lying and Being Deceitful and Proud of it. Sad statement about Professional Baseball.

I have a real problem with the 3rd Baseman in MLB who "faked" the foul ball catch with a "rubber ball" that apparently one of the spectators had brought to the game in a bag, which is shown in the video when the player goes over the wall.

Here is the story for those who missed it.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...t-the-dodgers/

Basically, from what I have seen, the 3rd baseman (and I am NOT a baseball fan so the players name means nothing to me....) dove into the stands to attempt to catch a foul ball. He went completely over the front of the seating area and out of sight. When he landed, he never had possession of the actual baseball. Watch the video I linked above.

He saw this rubber ball lying there which he had knocked out of a fans bag when he went over the railing, and he grabs it, puts it in his mitt and the Umpire arrived on the scene after the player had been over the railing and wall and out of sight for several seconds. The Umpire is shown calling the batter out and the 3rd baseman player says nothing.......He throws the rubber ball into the stands immediately, meanwhile, a spectator actually has the REAL baseball and is shown on video tape.

Later on, it was revealed that the player had in fact dropped the ball (in fact, never caught it apparently) and "faked" the out with the "rubber ball". The 3rd baseman, from what I saw, jokingly said he thought about throwing the rubber ball to the pitcher to pitch with.

The 3rd baseman also "JUSTIFIED" his actions by saying something stupid like "It's Hollywood so you have to act" or some other justification for his deceit and lying.

I am sorry, but the player should be sanctioned for knowingly deceiving the umpire. He should be ashamed he is a liar, he is NOT an "actor". I don't find the humor in this that many seem to thinking it's "funny" he got away with it for calling the out. If he was a person of integrity, he would have not faked the catch and he would have simply been given credit for a remarkable effort to attempt to catch the foul ball.

When I mentioned this to two neighbors, they basically said "Oh, it's no big deal, it's just a game." I disagree. It's the chance to be honest and do things right or its the chance to be a liar and deceptive to millions of very impressionable young people. The ball player had the chance to do the right thing, which was to be honest and admit he dropped the ball (or never actually caught it), but he didn't. Truth is had he picked up the actual correct baseball after dropping it, nobody probably would have noticed, but it still would have been just as wrong.

The message this sends is "win at any cost" and "do whatever it takes to win" even if its dishonest, deceitful and demonstrates a major void in one's character.

"It was one of those things where I think any third baseman or any player trying to win would do it," said Frazier. (Frazier is the player who faked the play and lied.)

I find this story very sad and disappointing. I am also bothered that the players statement is a horrible role model for young people. The moral character of many in our nation continues to swirl in the bowl after being flushed with unacceptable behavior, such as this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike†(09-09-2018), etcallhome†(09-10-2018), HydroHarold†(09-09-2018), Levi†(09-11-2018), Zebrafive†(09-10-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    I have a real problem with the 3rd Baseman in MLB who "faked" the foul ball catch with a "rubber ball" that apparently one of the spectators had brought to the game in a bag, which is shown in the video when the player goes over the wall.

Here is the story for those who missed it.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...t-the-dodgers/

Basically, from what I have seen, the 3rd baseman (and I am NOT a baseball fan so the players name means nothing to me....) dove into the stands to attempt to catch a foul ball. He went completely over the front of the seating area and out of sight. When he landed, he never had possession of the actual baseball. Watch the video I linked above.

He saw this rubber ball lying there which he had knocked out of a fans bag when he went over the railing, and he grabs it, puts it in his mitt and the Umpire arrived on the scene after the player had been over the railing and wall and out of sight for several seconds. The Umpire is shown calling the batter out and the 3rd baseman player says nothing.......He throws the rubber ball into the stands immediately, meanwhile, a spectator actually has the REAL baseball and is shown on video tape.

Later on, it was revealed that the player had in fact dropped the ball (in fact, never caught it apparently) and "faked" the out with the "rubber ball". The 3rd baseman, from what I saw, jokingly said he thought about throwing the rubber ball to the pitcher to pitch with.

The 3rd baseman also "JUSTIFIED" his actions by saying something stupid like "It's Hollywood so you have to act" or some other justification for his deceit and lying.

I am sorry, but the player should be sanctioned for knowingly deceiving the umpire. He should be ashamed he is a liar, he is NOT an "actor". I don't find the humor in this that many seem to thinking it's "funny" he got away with it for calling the out. If he was a person of integrity, he would have not faked the catch and he would have simply been given credit for a remarkable effort to attempt to catch the foul ball.

When I mentioned this to two neighbors, they basically said "Oh, it's no big deal, it's just a game." I disagree. It's the chance to be honest and do things right or its the chance to be a liar and deceptive to millions of very impressionable young people. The ball player had the chance to do the right thing, which was to be honest and admit he dropped the ball (or never actually caught it), but he didn't. Truth is had he picked up the actual correct baseball after dropping it, nobody probably would have noticed, but it still would have been just as wrong.

The message this sends is "win at any cost" and "do whatever it takes to win" even if its dishonest, deceitful and demonstrates a major void in one's character.

"It was one of those things where I think any third baseman or any player trying to win would do it," said Frazier. (Frazier is the player who faked the play and lied.)

I find this story very sad and disappointing. I am also bothered that the players statement is a horrible role model for young people. The moral character of many in our nation continues to swirl in the bowl after being flushed with unacceptable behavior, such as this.
    Welcome to the world of professional athletes. This may not have had any meaningful impact on the outcome of that particular game but it certainly could of in a pendant race or world series. He should be fined and suspended. Its cheating regardless of the stated intent.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks

What can I say. . .

It's clear that the player doesn't respect the game, the other team or the umpires. Some of his team mates should instruct him in the difference between winning on your own efforts and talent and cheating just to get a win.

I'm not a golfer but one of the good parts of the game is the emphasis that true students of the game put on playing legally and the requirement to fess up if you violate the rules. Reportedly, neither Barrack Obama nor Bill Clinton followed that ethical practices but that's their problem, not a problem with the sport.

IMHO those who don't follow the rules will eventually kill sports of all kind. Our daughter played high school soccer and collegiate women's rugby.
    She had an interesting take on the two sports. Soccer was a polite sport played by ruffians. Rugby is a hooligan's sport played by gentlemen (and gentlewomen). In watching the games, I saw a lot of attempted cheating in soccer, very little in rugby. Of course these were all amateur sports with only pride on the line as opposed to millions of dollars.

Treefarmer
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 1,103 Posts
    just makes me ashamed to share the same last name. and it's even spelled the same way too, as i've seen my last name spelled differently.

i don't think he realizes just how bad of a thing he did too.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Thanks
    As a baseball fan, but not of either team in the video, this is what ticks me off. Every day some baseball player, manager or coach is complaining about the umpires. They canít tell a strike from a ball, the canít tell whatís an out from a tire fire. Then this yahoo does this. As far as Iím concerned there is proof it was a rubber ball, the player even admitted it. His team forfeits the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    Seems to me we spend a lifetime trying to figure out what life's rules are and trying our best to follow them. It's a sad commentary when we sacrifice our integrity, as in this instance. To me that's a much greater loss than the perceived gain. I know that it happens in every profession, my own included, but it was comforting for me to know that I always did my best without being dishonest. I suspect this player will have this hanging over him for the rest of his life. Was it worth it?

I liked the analogy that Soccer was a polite sport played by ruffians. Three of my grand kids played soccer, including my only grand daughter. She was my little Princess; and a real girly girl...but growing up with two older brothers, she learned to give as good as she got on the soccer field. I couldn't believe my eyes when she flattened a bully that had deliberately fouled her!
    Have wings, will travel.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    WOW,, a lot of young boys and girls look up to these Professional players.
    and
    now for them to see something like this. CRAZY.
    DRobinson, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    As long as he stands for the National Anthem Iím good with it.
    fehhkk and Fozsey like this.

John Deere 3038E
    300E Loader / 61Ē Bucket
    BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    iMatch Quick Hitch
    FRONTIER Grooming Mower GM3060
    Titan Attachments CAT 1 Ballast Box
    Land Pride Back Blade 7í
    CountyLine Box Blade 6í
    CountyLine York Rake 6í

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fade2Blk View Post
    As long as he stands for the National Anthem Iím good with it.

That creates a lot of mixed emotions for me...you know, like when your sixteen year old daughter comes home at 3:00 in the morning with a Gideon bible under her arm.
    Have wings, will travel.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    He should switch to the Harlem Globe Trotters. Where jokes (not cheating) are expected. No disrespect to the Harlem Globe Trotters
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast