Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: This was a first.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:08 AM
    Thanks

This was a first.

After dinner, I was checking my emails when I came across 6 emails from Home Depot stating that my address had been changed. Then I had one thanking me for placing an order on Home Depot dot com.

The first thing I did was go online & change my password. There were 2 additional address on the account. I deleted those. Then I checked to see if I had any credit cards stored on the site. I did not.

Next I tried to call Home Depot to report this using the phone number included in the address change emails. The following statement was in the address change emails. If you did not make these changes, please contact our Help Center immediately at 1-800-466-3337. The problem is that this must be the only phone number for the Home Depot Help Center. I was given options from job applications to store locations & hours & everything in between. But there was no option to report fraud. It took me 3 phone calls & over 30 minutes to get a real person on the line.

Once I got a real person, they were great help. I found out that the credit card they used was not mine & that I did the right thing by changing my password. The order was for 2 solar generators at $515.03. After tax & shipping, the total was $1150.31.
    Home Depot told me that the order had already shipped. They said they were flagging the shipment.

As I am typing this & got a shipping confirmation with a tracking number.

This must be a first attempt at fraud. It took them 6 tries to enter the address they wanted to ship to & they did not change my email address to theirs. They did not change the password. All of those were a surprise to Home Depot.

I asked HD why they did not have an easy way to report fraud. They did not know.

I have had fraudulent charges on my credit cards, but this is the first time I have had an online vendor account hacked.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChrisR For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (10-11-2018), Fozsey (10-09-2018), Treefarmer (10-13-2018), Zebrafive (10-10-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 AM
    Thanks
    I get fraud charges on my card for one way trips to Korea but they know I don't go there and call and ask if it is me?? They keep changing my card got a new one a few weeks ago it will last a while till it gets bad again? Guess I need to watch Home Depot now with there cards! I only use them at there store and not online.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts
    that's strange u posted about this from HD. as Monday i got a call from some bill collector saying i was behind in my HD payments-now there are probably 3 or 4 people in my area with the same name-just different middle names.

i said to this fella who thought he had just captured the FBI's number one criminal i just wanted to let the air out of his ballon, and told him his PI's investigating was pi$$ poor i started to hangup as he was yelling in the phone -isn't this so and so. i hung up on him anyway's-should of never said yes in the beginning, but i was waiting on the people who are setting me up with my sleep apnea equipment-
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 AM
    Thanks
    Funny. I got an email saying my Home Depot order was ready for pickup a few weeks ago.
    I didn't order anything so i just deleted it figuring it was some kind of fishing scam.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 05:08 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    Funny. I got an email saying my Home Depot order was ready for pickup a few weeks ago.
    I didn't order anything so i just deleted it figuring it was some kind of fishing scam.
    That more than likely was a fishing scam. I have gotten them also.
    The thing to remember is to never click on links in emails that you are not sure if they are real.
    Always go to your online accounts or call.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisR For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (10-10-2018)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    For a lot of my online 'stuff,' I use sneakemail.com. It started out as a free service if you watched the ads, but then they removed the free option and it has been $2 per month for the past 4 or 5 years. I like it so pay the fee for a year at a time. It allows me to create an alias address that routes the emails to addresses that I choose. Presently, I choose mine and/or my wife's email addresses. Before retirement, my work email was added to the mix.

Over that time, I have had a couple of sneakemail addresses that started to get regularly spammed. I would log in to sneakemail and delete that address. That solved that. Also, it let me see who was letting spammers / hackers into their system or selling email addresses.

There are free alternatives.

Hope someone finds this useful.
    etcallhome, PaDave, OxPath and 3 others like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    The thing to remember is to never click on links in emails that you are not sure if they are real. Hold the mouse pointer over the link. Look to the bottom left hand corner of your monitor. It shows the real address you will be led too. If in doubt, type that address into Google. It will give more information.
    Always go to your online accounts by typing the web address into the browser, or call.
    I don't know how many times I've said this to others.
    The above mentioned, is some of the best practices to safe-guard your information.
    Last I knew, smartphones do not have the features to do what can be done on a home PC. I keep all my online business (and email) limited to my home PC only. YMMV
    Last edited by Boonie; 10-11-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    OxPath, BigJim55 and spferdil like this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    I had a similar thing happen to me back early in the summer. I got an email saying that I had ordered some plumbing part and it was being shipped to the store for pickup. Then I got emails for weeks saying it was at the store and I could come pick it up at any time.

Turns out that the order was legit. Some guy in Ohio that had an email addy that was very close to mine.

The problem ended up being that HD disallows some characters in email addresses. If you enter an email address with those characters, they just strip them out. So when that guy entered his email addy, he used one of them, HD stripped it out and ended up with *MY* email addy in their system.
    OxPath, BigJim55, spferdil and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (10-11-2018)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    The thing to remember is to never click on links in emails that you are not sure if they are real.

So very true.

Our minister is always sending didn't info. One evening received a email looking like it came from him..

Just happened to look at the email address beside his name.. Wasn't his normal ,, so I sent him a email. He replied back in a few minutes , yep his PC had been hacked.
    OxPath, BigJim55 and spferdil like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Thanks
    I know this and preach this to others!! BUT, a couple of weeks ago one of those scammers almost got me.

I was doing some work and updating some of my Office365 settings. During that process I got some sort of email that looked like it was from Microsoft and had to do with my O365 account. I clicked on the "confirmation link" and, thankfully, Norton caught it and stopped me from connecting to the malicious site. I went back to the email and looked at the address embedded in the link. Sure 'nuf - it wasn't Microsoft.

Had this email shown up at any other time on any other day, I would have checked it carefully. But since it coincidentally came in while I was using my O365 account I didn't give it a second thought when it showed up in my inbox.
    OxPath, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast